Made a tough decision

Options
Well, today I decided I will be going back to the Weight Watcher's program after Christmas. I have been on and off with MFP now for a few months, and it just isn't clicking for me like WW did. WW Mobile app and website completely SUCK compared to MFP but I guess the extra work is worth it when I see results. I just can't seem to wrap my head around "good calories" and WW takes the guess work out of that. 50 calories of chocolate isn't the same as 50 calories of broccoli no matter what anyone says. I found myself making better choices on WW, and I was never hungry either. Since stopping WW and trying MFP and other methods of Nutrition I am constantly looking for food to eat! I will definitely keep my account here for the boundless information and support available at a click. Still hoping to get a good enough grasp on things one day to come to MFP for good and stop paying WW, but for now, I gotta do what I gotta do! Good luck to all on your journey's, I'll keep following!

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
  • cjam134
    cjam134 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good for you for knowing what works for you. I was also successful on WW and can't seem to replicate that success on MFP. Best of luck to you.
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    Hey OP, it's great to hear that you are looking for another program that works. I tried WW on and off for years, but it wasn't until I took the time to learn about weigh loss and nutrition that I was successful. I use MFP for the social and accountability aspects, but I put in my own goals for Calories/Fat/Protein/Carbs etc. I found with WW that they were encouraging a lot of processed, artificial foods that mess with your metabolism. I do have to admit that WW taught me alot about portion control and healthy food measuring.

SW: 295 on 8/15/13
    CW: 270 on 12/15/13
    GW: 135 on 5/1/15

What works best for me is sticking to the basics:
    - calorie deficiency mainly from exercise (ie. I eat 1700 calories each day and work out to get around 500 calories burned = roughly 2lbs per week)
    - 25% carbs, 40% protein, 35% fat
    - lean meats, fresh veggies, low fat dairy, complex carbs
    - minimal processed foods (little pasta, chips, breads, etc)
    - allowing one cheat day a week where I eat what I want up to 800 calories over my goal, boosts my metabolism!

Ultimately it is whatever works best for you! Good luck!!!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you!
    I loved the program, but found out after I gained some weight back and I had lost 1 pound of lean tissue for every 2 pounds of fat. Slowed down my metabolism WAY too much!
    We are always here for pointers - my first would be to make sure you are eating lean protein sources. Helps to stay full. :-)
  • 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sometimes changing it up can help so going back to WW could be a nice jumpstart for you! I love they encourage a lot of F+V. You are right, sometimes when you look at straight calories you will choose a 100 calorie snack bag instead of a banana etc. Remember how the food makes you feel and how full you will (or won't) be from it.

Of course this is coming from the girl who has been eating Christmas cookies for breakfast. Ahh! So good and yet such a bad choice!!

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    50 calories of chocolate isn't the same as 50 calories of broccoli no matter what anyone says.

well that's because they aren't.

Brocolli is never going to be as delicious as chocolate is.

Good luck to you on your journey though- always have to do what's best for you!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    So happy to hear this. So many just give up instead of continue to search what will work for them. (I agree, all food is not equal.)
  • ccarew77
    ccarew77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works best for you and it varies for everyone.
    Kudos to you for trying something new but realizing what may help you reach your goals.
    WW worked for me until I stopped following it. Then I just found it hard to get back into it and needed something new to keep me focused (MFP).

Go get it girl!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you need the structure and accountability that WW provides, then by all means jump back in! It's not a crime to choose one methodology over another. For myself, logging my food was the key to getting a handle on my eating. Then, I caught the running bug and it has helped me stay at a fairly stable weigt.

Good luck! Hope WW brings you success!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you!
    I loved the program, but found out after I gained some weight back and I had lost 1 pound of lean tissue for every 2 pounds of fat. Slowed down my metabolism WAY too much!
    We are always here for pointers - my first would be to make sure you are eating lean protein sources. Helps to stay full. :-)

this is what I found from weight watchers, I don't know the exact ratios but I was losing 3lb a week and not exercising. Plus I gained it all back. Lost it this time around much more slowly while doing weights, then did a bulk and gained probably around 7lb lean body mass. So no problems now, but I'm not going to do weight watchers ever again.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Ultimately - do what works for you. Not everyone is the same in terms of the ways of eating that are easy to stick with.

I would have thought that you could stick with MFP and eat the kinds of foods that are encouraged by WW though.. That's what I like about calorie counting - you get to eat the diet that you choose to eat. No need to eat any chocolate at all if you don't want to.