Calorie goal confusion

kara_leigh
kara_leigh Posts: 25
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Okay, I'm confused. Are you supposed to try to eat AT LEAST your daily goal, or not go OVER your daily goal? I've been *trying* to stay below my goal (my food diary is way off b/c I changed my settings, which upped my calorie goal so it looks like I'm eating WAY under) b/c I thought that was the point...maybe I was wrong?? Please, someone set me straight! Thanks!

Replies

• butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    You're supposed to eat all your calorie goals, and not go over, I think.
  • Depending on your weight, you need to at LEAST eat 1200 calories. If you exercise you may need to eat more. If you don't eat, your body will hold every little thing and keep it. Just like water. If you don't drink tons, your body will store it because it doesn't know when it's going to get it again.
  • Hey,

The point is to hit your daily goal. If you want to eat 2000 calories a day then make that your goal and try to arrange your meals so that at the end of the day you are as close to 2000 calories as possible.

Depending on what your goals are will influence what your daily calorie intake should be.....exactly what are you trying to accomplish?????
  • Eat your calories, including those extra from exercise. Look at the "newbies" must reads. Lots of very valuble info there and really a must read to understand why you need to eat all the calories. Good luck to you! You will love this site, it is a huge help.
  • Depending on what your goals are will influence what your daily calorie intake should be.....exactly what are you trying to accomplish?????

I'm trying to gradually lose a small amount of weight. I'm starting with just 10lbs for now, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I went lower. 15lbs less than what I currently am is about the middle of the "healthy weight" for me. My main goal is to fit in to my jeans again. LOL I'm not in a huge hurry, though.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Nothing less then 1200 for certain. To lose your goal weight don't go over. I took a look at your journal and it looks fine to me. I always try to have a couple hundred left over every day. I call them my "just in case" calories. :smile:
  • I averaged it out over the past few days (not counting Tuesday b/c I didn't input a full day of food or today b/c I'm not done eating yet) and I'm averaging around 1,430 calories per day. My BRM is 1,330, so I'm about 100 over that, and averaging about 330 below my calorie goal, but then again I thought the point was to stay below it so I didn't eat a ton. I'm trying better today, eating more frequent meals.

One other question I do have is about what size, caloric wise, should my average MEAL be? I read it's bad to eat TOO much at once. Thanks!

I took a look at the Newbies thread, and I think I understand more now. Thanks!!
  • Hey,

Your right you shouldn't eat to much at once. The best situation is when all your calories are split evenly or as best as possible over 5-6 smaller meals a day. If you are trying to lose weight I would recommend having the majority of your carbs earlier in the day and taper them towards the evening. For example I would have oat meal or steel cut oats for breakfast which is a great slow-release carb to have in the morning and it really fills you up. For supper I wouldn't have much more then steamed vegetables, broccoli...etc...or a sweet potato. Then avoid carbs later at night as well as fats. Your body works in a way that it slows down its ability to burn fat as the night goes on. So late night snack with fat are really bad. I like protein shakes, high protein jello, high protein ice cream or cottage cheese.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Even though my goal is over 2000 cals a day, I hardly ever eat more then 400 cals at a meal. I usually eat 5 or 6 meals throughout the day, with my largest meal usually being breakfast.

As for how much you should eat relative to your calorie goal, you should stay at or just under your goal. Most should stay within 1 or 200 calories, though someone who's goal is larger (like myself) can get away with being 300 or more under on a day every now and then.

I always end up averaging just under, because some days I'll go over and others I'll be further under.
This discussion has been closed.