Low sugar, filling breakfasts ?

Hanni
Hanni Posts: 158 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone.
I am not really used to eating breakfast but want to start eating more healthily.

I am looking for some low sugar, low fat but filling breakfasts please!

I have once tried ready meal porridge where you just add milk and then heat in microwave.
But it is full of sugar!

Any suggestions would be very very appreciated as I feel a bit lost :-(

Thank you!

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    plain old fashion or steel cut oats are awesome, full of fiber, and really filling.
  • That's my suggestion too...oatmeal, awesome breakfast. I sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and mix in a serving of bite sized dried prunes...fills me up, gives me fiber, and I knock out a fruit serving for the day...
  • Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    I have found that if I have protein at breakfast, then I feel better the rest of the day. Maybe it has something to do with how protein regulates blood sugar. Having said that, I enjoy an egg (or egg whites, scrambled). You can also add protein powder to your oatmeal, or add nonfat dry milk powder to oatmeal, for an extra calcium and protein boost. I also love the other ideas given. Dried fruit is delicious and not too high in calories, as long as you eat reasonable portions.
  • one whole egg and two egg whites and any combo of veg that you like. I usually do an omlette or a scramble. it's a great amount of protein first thing in the morning and really helps when you are spending time in the gym.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Egg in a hole! Cut a hole in a piece of whole wheat bread (I buy Ezekial Bread, it doesn't have HFCS like most shelf bread does...find it in the freezer section!), toast it slightly in your pan, then cook the egg in the middle. Extremely filling, high fiber, and high protein. The sugar content isn't too bad either. Eggs in general are a great way to start your day though :)

There will probably be some natural sugars in most anything you eat...unless you eat pure protein and fat for breakfast. Oatmeal is another great suggestion. I also like Kashi cereals, with almond milk and a handful of fruit like a banana, strawberries or blueberries in it.

Another thing I eat occasionally for breakfast is a granola mix in yogurt, with a teaspoon of honey, and add any fruit you like to that as well. This is also good for fiber and protein.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Yes, never used to eat breakfast either. Try plain Greek Yoghurt with some muesli and frozen/fresh blueberries. Put it together the evening before and keep it in the fridge overnight,
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    I usually have the Fiber One Original cereal (1/2 cup) with 1/2 cup of 1% milk. Sometimes I add a mini-sized Sun maid raisins
  • Hanni
    Hanni Posts: 158 Member
    Thank you all for your ideas. I will certainly try them!
This discussion has been closed.