the TRUTH about weightloss

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    As soon as you lose the weight, you find 10,000 other things "wrong" with you! lol

Sooo true :tongue:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    1. Discipline is more important than motivation
    2. Nothing is more important than calories
    3. Everything else is a minor detail
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that so many people say no food is bad food, and that fast food is not the enemy, and other stuff like that. To me, it's important to eat nutritious food. Or else, I'd have a very hard time keeping to a low calorie count.

Most of those people don't mean that you can or should eat fast food, chocolate, bacon, whatever all day every day. They mean that it's perfectly fine to work it into your day. Yes, fill up mostly on fruits, veggies, lean proteins, etc (everything you're calling nutritious food). But if you love bacon, work it into your day (it's got protein and fat, and mostly people can easily have 2 slices without totally throwing off their calories). Allow yourself fast food once in a while if you like it, again fit it into your day or compensate through the week. I have ice cream most nights, but that's because I've learned how to make sure there is room for 1 serving in my calories while still reasonably meeting my macro needs and getting the micros (and note that it's 1 serving, 1/2 cup, most of the time, not a pint every night!)
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    1. Everybody is different so find out what works for your own physiology/lifestyle/age/state of health or ability.

2. Experiment with food, try excluding certain things so see if you are sensitive to it when you re-introduce it - for me it jump started my weight loss effortlessly and cleared up my IBS and mood swings when I stopped eating gluten and sugar.

3. You can rediscover your love of cooking by preparing all your own meals from scratch

4. You can save money AND time by cooking up batches of healthy food for the busy week ahead

5. Weighing yourself every morning keeps you honest and focused

6. Recycle your big clothes; if you are a 14/16 then everything 18 and above can go to a charity shop to sell on - another (now expensive) reason not to gain weight again!

7. This is not a diet. Diets don't work for me, I've changed the way I eat and exercise for ever. I got my self-respect back.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a food scale and create a habit out of using it. Most of us are terrible at eyeballing portions!
    2. Dedication and persistence are key!
    3. There are no bad foods and good foods. Give your body the nutrition it requires, but don't cut foods out of your diet you don't plan on avoiding for the rest of your life.
    4. Patience!
    5. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. A moderate deficit is all you need.
    6. Did I mention patience? It may sound twee, but there is truth in the statement 'the weight didn't go on overnight, and it won't come off overnight'.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work in the long run - permanent lifestyle changes do.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    1. My goals for my body and fitness level are the only things that matter. This is not a competition and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I'm the only person who needs to be happy with the end result.

2. I'm the opposite of most in that my eating habits are much better when I relax and don't worry about every morsel that I eat. I stay within calories, but I do not get into the minutiae.

3. The best workouts are the ones that I will stick to.

4. Accepting that this is the first time that I've ever been overweight and it's going to take longer than it did to lose the 10-15 vanity pounds that I have in the past.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Diets don't work in the long run - permanent lifestyle changes do.

MFP sure loves its tautologies....
  • rdemarse
    rdemarse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Amen.....
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    It's all just math.

When people stumble, it's because they're doing the math wrong.

Wishful thinking leads to bad math.

Maintaining is easy when you minimize deprivation during the weight loss phase, but you still have to track everything accurately.

Sometimes, you just have to eat everything in sight. And that's okay. As long as you do that less often than before, you're good to go.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Speaking of marathons and sprints, exercise is really not necessary to lose weight, and should be undertaken to achieve other fitness goals, not simply to burn calories that can then be eaten. It's easier to burn calories by not eating them in the first place. No cupcake is worth an hour at the gym.

Sometimes a simple substitution can make your math much more favorable. Knowing which components of a meal are the real calorie killers is essential. Fill up on the low cal stuff, and savor the smaller portion of the high-cal stuff.

Fast food is not the enemy.

When you're conscious and you count calories, you can eat things that you'd previously thought were off-limits, which feels very indulgent.

Weigh in the morning, every morning. After you pee/poop, but before you shower. Not only will you be your lightest at that time of day, it's the most consistent baseline for measuring your progress.

Did I mention that it's math? Because it's math.

If you don't know why you're not losing weight, it's because your math is off and you're eating at maintenance. Pie in the sky thinking with regards to calorie intake and the calories burned through exercise (and then "eaten back") leads to unintentional maintenance, i.e., "plateau".

People, really, really, really, don't want want to be told they're eating too much. They want to have their cake and eat it too. Literally.

Losing weight feels good, and so does keeping it off, and it's totally worth it. But it shouldn't consume your life and your thoughts.

Some people want you to fail. Some people on this very website want you to fail. You can tell who those people are because they pooh-pooh the importance of calories, even though the whole point of this website is to track calories.

Some people want you to succeed. Sometimes to help someone succeed, they have to tell you what you don't want to hear. Any time you hear something that you don't want to hear, pay attention, because that might be what you need to hear.

Smileys are fun. :drinker: :smokin: :devil: :flowerforyou: :noway: :grumble: :explode: :laugh: :bigsmile: :huh:

^^ So happy you are on my friend list. Every single thing here is true!! Thanks for the reminder!!

Edited since I just figured out how to BOLD! :-)

I also love this and am greatful to have you in my friends list! I have learnt alot from your threds along with other cool people i have come across along the way! Thanks again!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Deleted -- see my response below.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that so many people say no food is bad food, and that fast food is not the enemy, and other stuff like that. To me, it's important to eat nutritious food. Or else, I'd have a very hard time keeping to a low calorie count.

Most of those people don't mean that you can or should eat fast food, chocolate, bacon, whatever all day every day. They mean that it's perfectly fine to work it into your day. Yes, fill up mostly on fruits, veggies, lean proteins, etc (everything you're calling nutritious food). But if you love bacon, work it into your day (it's got protein and fat, and mostly people can easily have 2 slices without totally throwing off their calories). Allow yourself fast food once in a while if you like it, again fit it into your day or compensate through the week. I have ice cream most nights, but that's because I've learned how to make sure there is room for 1 serving in my calories while still reasonably meeting my macro needs and getting the micros (and note that it's 1 serving, 1/2 cup, most of the time, not a pint every night!)

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to reply to this.

In that context, I can see what you mean. Personally, I started learning how to spot "real food" before I trained myself on how to eat less food. Most of the menu items at fast food restaurants barely qualify as food. Many items in the supermarket have little nutritional value. Once I started eating nutrient-dense foods (and that includes high-fat foods such as bacon) on a regular basis, I could not go back to the fast-food lifestyle. In fact, I can't even eat a fast food burger now. Tried it. I just can't do it. So, I do worry about telling someone who is looking for a healthier diet that you can go ahead and work in those fast food meals. I think that if you avoid fast food for long enough, your body changes and craves what's good for it rather than the chemicals they put into junk food.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    @ Siansonea, I heart your posts!
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    1. Love and accept yourself before you lose the weight. Otherwise your journey will be centered around negativity and you won't be happy at your goal weight.
    2. Measure everything. The little devil on your shoulder wants to convince you that portions are bigger than they really are.
    3. Strength training may not burn many calories while exercising, but it sure makes you feel and look amazing.
    4. Read more scientific articles. This does NOT include mainstream media articles. Read everything skeptically and critically in order to prevent yourself from subscribing to myths with little to no scientific basis.
    5. Associate yourself with people who actually know what they're talking about. You will learn so much from them.
    6. Stop calculating "lose X much weight in Y amount of time." It will only disappoint and frustrate you when you don't meet your unrealistic goals.
    7. People have different definitions of "healthy food" and though this is frustrating, you will most likely polarize the people you try to get to see your side of things. Just care less about them and focus on what works for you.
    Well said!
  • StarFit4Life
    StarFit4Life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    1, The scales in the kitchen are so much more important than the ones in the bathroom
    2, Be patient.
    3, If you have a bad day, have a good tomorrow.
    4 Be honest with yourself, if you eat that chocolate and don't log it, it still counts.
    5 When you have a victory, shout it from the rooftops, success breeds success.
    6 Exercise can be fun, especially cardio.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Just remembered one more rule:

4. Nobody stalls on 800 calories a day.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight
    1. Discipline is more important than motivation
    2. Nothing is more important than calories
    3. Everything else is a minor detail

This^^^ I see you already added to your list.

I'll add to it, too.
    5. It's really ok to feel hungry and not eat.
    6. Utilize your impulsivity for exercise instead of eating.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    1. You have to log everything and weigh every bite you put in your mouth.
    2. Exercise is NOT the key to weight loss, diet is.
    3. If you think to lose weight you have to suddenly begin exercising 6 hours a day and radically alter your eating habits with some fad diet, you are much more likely to fail.