Someone help me out with a 1450 calorie diet.

Options
I weigh 210 and I want to lose 2 pounds per week at a goal of 190. I went to slimgenics and they want to charge me $797 FOR ME TO START. No way I am going to pay that much.. can someone help me out?? A meal plan that i could do along with how much water to drink and when to workout.

Replies

• YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    First of all, forget anything that charges you money for a program. If you want to lose weight, and have that weight loss stick, it needs to be a lifestyle change, not a fad diet.

Before I add anything else, can I ask where you got the number of 1450?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is free, you don't need any kind of program or clinic/meals/shakes/bars.

However, it's alarming to see that an 18 year old male wants to only consume 1450 calories a day, that is really aggressive and you could end up losing a lot of your lean muscle mass, which will make you look worse and have a lower metabolism when you're finished losing weight.

So I would advise you to set up your profile on here with a more appropriate goal for how much you want to lose, 1.5lbs a week for the first 10lbs, then move it to 1lb per week. Losing weight isn't a race and while we all would rather see results sooner than later, it can be very unhealthy and cause a lot of stress on our bodies.

As for how much water to drink... If you are thirsty... drink water. During the day you should notice that your urine is mostly clear, this means you're well hydrated, but drinking extra water doesn't make you lose fat any faster, so don't over water yourself.

Eat foods you enjoy, no food is "evil" or "bad".
    However, lean protein can help you feel fuller, longer and make sticking to a diet easier when you eat extra of it.
    Stay away from processed sugar if possible, it doesn't contain any nutrients and can cause blood sugar spikes and crashes, making you hungry and tired.
    Try to pick complex and slow digesting carbs like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, ect, they stick with you longer and take longer to turn into sugar, which allows you to have more even and consistent energy throughout the day.
  • ThatoneJoe
    Options
    Fitnesspal said if i want to lose 2 pounds per week, I should consume 1450 calories. Another website said I should consume 1500 but I'm not sure.. I am new to this. I just want to be successful.
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    im no expert but the only advise i can give you is to tell you to really use MFP.
    its geat ive been here for nearly a month and i have learnt so much about my body, my fluctuations and just how to get on the right path... i used to be a personal trainer and would give people advise all the time on work out plans and all that jazz but really if all you want to do is loose weght then its quite simple... you jiust need to do the calorie in vs calorie out math and just make sure you dont eat under or over your daily limit.

i have been doing this and looking in my reports i am able to see where i have gone wrong and how i can improve it. its all about learning and MFP is propbalkly the best tracking page ever.

There are so many awsome people on MFP that have given me the best advise and pretty much all everyone has told me to do is use MMFP and dont overthink it. just make sure you log all your food in and if you exersice then eat back half your calories. it can take time to see results but they will come!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat any specific foods or meal plans. You can literally eat anything you want, you just have to maintain a calorie deficit (AKA, your calorie goal).

That being said, protein is your best friend, with fiber a close second. These will help you feel fuller longer, among other things. But like I said, you could literally eat anything, you just have to fit it into your goal.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It might help give you food ideas if you find friends on here with similar goals and open food diaries.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 20lbs.
    2lbs a week is too aggressive and unrealistic.
    As an 18yo male, 1450 is very low.
    Set your diary for 0.5-1.0lb per week.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Fitnesspal said if i want to lose 2 pounds per week, I should consume 1450 calories. Another website said I should consume 1500 but I'm not sure.. I am new to this. I just want to be successful.

I would get far less aggressive in my goals. 1500 cals isn't much for an 18 year old male. I would bet you could go closer to 2000, lose at a decent rate of a pound or half pound a week an feel better doing it.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am around the same goal intake.. Just start getting a feel for it. Also, pre plan your days meals and it is really helpful!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 20lbs.
    2lbs a week is too aggressive and unrealistic.
    As an 18yo male, 1450 is very low.
    Set your diary for 0.5-1.0lb per week.

This.

Also read those links JoyJoy posted.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I would get far less aggressive in my goals. 1500 cals isn't much for an 18 year old male. I would bet you could go closer to 2000, lose at a decent rate of a pound or half pound a week an feel better doing it.

^Agreed with the above

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    lady nocturne gave great great advice. i know that it is tempting to want to lose weight as quick as possible but unless you are obese i dont think it is necessary. the problem with going too aggressively low with calories is that it can tempt failure. when i was set to lose 2lbs a week i found that i actually loss less weight than when i was set to lose 1lb a week because i kept struggling/cheating so much more that in the end i was only losing a little, but with so much unnecessary stress and hunger, setting a slower loss will help you keep a practical diet and frankly i think people that lose slower look better because there is less risk of losing muscle when you are not starving yourself.
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a request. Feel free to look at my diary. Double the breakfast and it should get you around 1500.
    Please ignore the bad days. I have some of those once in a while.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I weigh 210 and I want to lose 2 pounds per week at a goal of 190. I went to slimgenics and they want to charge me $797 FOR ME TO START. No way I am going to pay that much.. can someone help me out?? A meal plan that i could do along with how much water to drink and when to workout.

Don't use shakes or anything like that. exercise can be done anywhere easily in my case 2-3 hours of just walking, or step ups in the park. Something you can do when you grocery shop or otherwise. As far as meal plan...'

Breakfast - Water as from sleep you are dehydrated in the morning before anything else. Something small like fruit (strawberries are great to have lots to fill without calorie or nutrition guilt).
    Snacks - Similar small foods are also good snacks. You can get away with a little ice-cream just know your portion and for simple flavours like vanilla it is easy to find an alternative (such as light or low fat) or just moderate. I'd suggest checking what it is on the food scale thing and then portion.
    Lunch - I wouldn't go for large meals,nothing beyond 500cal, the food being your choice always. If you don't cook much yourself you can pick up frozen meals which seem large but are actually only 200-350 calories. If you do cook you can put every ingredient in and you get your count, which you later portion.
    Dinner - This depends on when you have it and if you want desert afterwards. I'd do whatever you want with the remainder of calories for the day.
    General for food - Drink water first, and don't force yourself if you aren't hungry. Rice, pasta and red meat are hard to portion properly. But it is worth portioning your carbohydrates is worth it if you can, they are great sustainable and versatile foods(avoid gluten free foods that naturally have it, it is a dangerous path only to be taken by the hypoglycemic and is a bad fad. though if it doesn't have it naturally it is just food). Red meat should be replaced by white meats such as chicken, prawns or veggies that give you more of the same nutrition benefit as a steak. Meat should not be had more than once a week if possible it has little nutritional value and is hard to digest constantly. Think of it as comparing your sharp teeth to your blunter ones, there are a lot more blunt, but the sharp for meat are there. Potato and corn products (not including literal corn) can be difficult to portion, leave you hungrier and steal away your noms of the day with empty calories. Eat what you like but know what or how much you are eating.
    Exercise - For health genuinely moving a FULL hour per day for pure health. A lot say an adult only needs half an hour and children need an hour and adults half an hour but it is in fact the same. You can combat the calories burnt with hard workouts but your health and weight loss will sustain if you just walk an hour per day.

Overall what you pay for in weight loss is in time and if someone says different it is usually a dangerous fad diet. Some people don't like self portioning which is what I do as it means I can find a way to have my favourite foods. Exercise and watching you diet are the keys to healthy weight loss. And sustainable weight loss and maintenance. Avoiding foods you love at all costs can make you depressed and depressed people don't lose weight well, or live life to the fullest.
    Just calm down and think. You have a low calorie limit at least for a male, exceeding it slightly every now and again will still have weight loss. Do not constantly raise it as it will encourage more and more limits being crossed.