Home workouts

Options
I would like to know what people use to loose weight, what type of videos/ game systems does people use., and does people use more dvds then youtube.com. Any suggests and comments are welcome.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I use a barbell, Olympic plates, a squat rack, and a bench 3-4 days a week in my basement.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I have done power 90 and P90x. Also an MMA conditioning workout called the Pit on My Combat Channel for Roku. I have a home gym now so I can do more traditional weight training and cardio, but I found the p90x very effective when I did it. Got my bodyfat down to 18% using the videos and an 1800 calorie diet. If you are new to exercise, you might want to try something a bit easier first, like the original power 90. Beachbody does a ton of different video programs with big followings.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just have enough in my living room to do zumba, I live in a medium one bedroom apartment. Don't have that much space.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use power 90 and Dance Dance Revolution sometimes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of Beachbody programs.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    First of all, weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit. Exercise can help you create the deficit, but no amount of exercise can make up for a terrible diet -- looking at it that way, it's easy to see that ANY workout can be used to lose weight.

It all comes down to what kind of workout you enjoy -- choosing a workout that you will keep doing is the single most important criteria.

I had a lot of success a few years ago by playing DDR for long periods of time. I really enjoyed the game, so going at it and working up a sweat was more recreation for me than a workout I had to force myself to do. Nowadays, it doesn't have the same allure so it doesn't really work for me.

If you like (or would like to try) HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), fitnessblender.com is a fantastic website with free, full-length workout videos for people of all fitness levels.

I've tried a number of dvd workout systems in the past - I'm not a huge fan of Jillian Michaels, but her 30 Day Shred program has a huge following in the MFP community.

I really like Chalene Johnson and her TurboJam / TurboFire series. She's a great trainer and I love her personality!

Recently I've been doing Insanity, but that's definitely not for everyone (it can be pretty hard on your joints).

Good luck finding the perfect workout for YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Walk Away The Pounds videos for cardio. I own several, and there are several on youtube.

Fitness Blender website (fitnessblender.com) for strength work.

I use dumbbells and resistance bands mostly.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk 6 miles a day 5-6 days a week.

I do weight lifting 5 days a week alternating lower and upper body.

I have a:

mat
    exercise ball
    weight bench
    barbell w/plates
    dumbbells
    ankle weights

Hoping soon to get a bench press/squat rack. :happy:
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of T25 created by Shaun T
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

me too!!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I've used free weights at home, and then moved to a Weider Total Bodyworks. I now use a Power Tower for bodyweight exercises. They've all been great for my workouts and I never have to set foot in a gym.
  • juls313b
    juls313b Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started focus T25. try home videos
  • harmonyhoran
    harmonyhoran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try XHIT on youtube. Home workouts using just your body and a small space. That's what got me started before I joined the gym. Its mostly strength rather than straight cardio but there is a huge range of videos targeting different areas for different lengths of time, from 5 minutes to 20 minutes, whatever you choose. :) Or just go for a walk.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred- Free on YouTube and Biggest Loser on Xbox 360.
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    I do Insanity, I have a kettle ball,weights,rope,perfect push up pecks,ab machine, and a treadmill ,but I mostly do Insanity and use my own body weight to bring the pain.... :-)
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ditto the Walk Away The Pounds vids. I used to own several of them as well. Now I do them on YouTube.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Jillian 30day shred and metabolism booster DVD s, 8lb dumbbells, 30 lbs lost... consistency is key!
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - I cheat a bit because I have a very bad knee that just can't take the side and front lunges or full out jumping jacks...but I'm still in a sweaty heap on the floor after each workout.

On days where I need to be functional after a workout, I do a couple different things - strength training, riding my stationary bike, or looking up belly dancing instructional videos on YouTube. I also tend to put on dance music while I'm in the kitchen cooking and baking (I run a small bakery from my home), and often my kids join in when they wander in for a taste of what I'm making. It's a great way to sneak in the extra movement during my day without the "ugh, another workout" feeling.

Lastly, If equipment is an issue, I've found that you can substitute household items for weights (think soup cans for hand weights and laundry detergent jugs for kettlebells). There is a plethora of workout videos and instructional websites online...it's all about making your workouts a priority and letting go of excuses not to move...and trust me, I can make excuses with the best of them!

Feel free to PM/FR me if you'd like. Good luck!
  • juls313b
    juls313b Posts: 11 Member
    Options

how is it going with t25? do you see any difference? its my day one.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Note on the knees:

I fell ya on the lunges, jillian loves the damn lunges.. I take 800mg of ibuprofen first thing on workout days and supplement 1000mg of fish oil daily.. seems to help mitigate knee inflammation and pain.