Breastfeeding

Options
Ok so I've been told that breastfeeding burns calories. So how do I record that. My son is 2 weeks old and is only breast feeding no suppliments. Can anyone help me out here with how this works on this website?

Replies

• Utahbeth
    Options
    Awesome! You will not regret it. :) My daughter just turned 1 and I still nurse her once a day. Everything I read said to add 300 calories to your intake when 100% breastfeeding. So that you have enough fuel to make milk. Also stay hydrated! That is key.

Congrats on your little one. :)
  • summerlopresti
    Options
    300-500 cal a day i was told but def drink lots of water! good luck :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    This site does not have any tools built in to help with breastfeeding calories, but some moms have worked around that!

I was doing Weight Watchers while breastfeeding my son, and have always heard to add 500 calories while you are exclusively bf'ing (and then 50 calories/nursing session when you are no longer exclusively bf'ing) I think someone has breastfeeding in the exercise diary on here and you can just put it in every day.

You didn't ask... but with your baby just 2 weeks old, I would not worry about counting the calories for a few more weeks. Your body is still figuring out how to feed your little one, and you are still dropping weight from childbirth. (I know that I personally lost several pounds between my 2 week and 6 week postpartum visit... and I was by no means dieting. I was eating whatever people brought to my house!) Give it a few more weeks, and then start counting.

Something that really helped me with a tiny newborn at home was to always have healthy snacks available to grab and munch on. Sometimes I had to eat when I could... and having healthy options already ready made it much easier to eat healthier!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been breastfeeding my baby for eight months, I would strongly suggest that you input 500 calories and eat every one them! I do and I have lost 34 pounds :) I simply added another exercise, I entered it as 1 minute of cardio exercise for 500 calories and labelled it "breastfeeding".

Oh, and at least wait until your mature milk is well established before you begin actively trying to lose weight. Mature milk comes in at about day 21. It would be good to give your body at least a few more weeks after this to adjust and talk to your doctor at your check-up appointment.
  • Twylla
    Twylla Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help! I'm not really counting them yet I would just like to keep track of my progress. :)
  • Deborah214
    Options
    Add "nursing mother" in your food diary and it will add the calories burned :)
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    it is 200-500 calories, 500 is for exclusively BFing 8-12 times in 24 hours, this includes the feeding and making of the milk. I just put it in as a cardio exercise and used 200 cal. BUT I am only nursing my 13 month old 2-4 times a day. ;)

*Definitely* make sure you eat those calories!!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    Yes, as the others have said, when you're exclusively feeding (in the 1st 6 months) add 500, then drop to 300. I started MFP when DS was 11 months old and only feeding twice a day and added 200 per day. I just adjusted my calorie goals, rather than having to add an exercise for every single day (boring! lol)

There are also a few important things to bear in mind:
    - you will lose A LOT of weight even without counting calories - 9 months on, 9 months off and all that. I wasn't counting cals at that point, but I lost something in the region of 15kg in the first 6 months whilst I was eating 2000-2300 cals a day!
    - never go below 1600-1800 cals a day (1800 for exclusive, 1600 for not) because your milk supply will be affected (your body prioritises itself, and so in a low calorie situation (food shortage), it'll forgo any other tasks)
    - eat full-fat, natural products. This will translate into your milk and you'll have a far more satisfied bubba. The same goes for chocolate and cake (in moderation, of course)... A lot of mums who have problems breastfeeding and/or who seem to have unsatisfied babies after a feed actually aren't eating enough, and not enough of the right stuff.

Enjoy! It's the most amazing time!
  • dbklinkner
    dbklinkner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you happen to know how much your baby is eating in ounces, you can add 20 cal per ounce. I have lost all the baby weight (from the first AND second baby) while breastfeeding--5 weeks to go until she is one! I would say the weight is gone but the shape is not quite the same yet. :smile:
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    Everyone has given you great advice. I always heard breastfeeding burns 500 calories a day. I BF all three of mine and always lost all my pregnancy weight fairly quickly without dieting. And I gained anywhere from 40 to 70lbs with each pregnancy. I want to also say that I think it is AWESOME that you are Breastfeeding!!
  • Twylla
    Twylla Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! :)