I want to lose 15-20 pounds by May 1st, any tips?

Options
I'm moving down to Texas in May and I want to go to the beach a lot. Thing is, i don't have a bikini body. I'm 19, female, I am 5'1 and 120 pounds. Since I'm so short, 120 pounds looks really bad on me. At my height, I'm suppose to be around 105 lbs. I don't diet, i don't eat healthy. I eat whatever my mom buys. I am picky when it comes to certain healthy foods. Some foods i absolutely won't eat is asparagus, fish, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, hummus, bananas, and tomatoes. I've had those foods multiple times and still can't get used to them. I have a few youtube videos i might start using that targets muffin tops, which is what i have. I want to lose my stomach, my love handles, and my thighs. Don't try to say my weight is fine, because my stomach and love handles hang over my pants. I used to be a size 1-3 in pants and now I'm a size 5-7. And i have to get large-xlarge shirts or else my stomach hangs out. I used to exercise back in 9th grade and just stopped. And i regret it. I used to be able to run a mile in under 7 minutes, now i'd be lucky if i could run down the block without getting winded haha. I am tired all the time and I'm sick of it! Now one thing i'd have to ween myself off of is sprite, i am addicted to it. But i do balance that out by drinking at least three water bottles a day. I can't go outside or to a gym to workout since i live in Alaska and it's freezing! And i don't have a car anymore. So i'd have to do in home workouts. I do try to do some yoga before bed, I'm still somewhat flexible. Anyone have any recommendations on diets? Exercise schedule i should do? I'd like breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack ideas also. I get very tired when i try to exercise, and a little lightheaded also. I'm not sure if that's because i'm out of shape or not. I'm hoping the exercise and diet will help stop that along with the anxiety attacks i get. Any tips you can give me will be appreciated. I will likely begin my exercise routine after January 1st. So I'll have about 4 months to lose the 15-20 pounds. I want to start working out 3 times a week for the first month to get used to it, then maybe increase to 4 or 5 after that.

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Exercise your *kitten* off. Literally. No mamby pamby exercise. Jillian Michael's says we only push ourselves 50 % of what we should. Get a HRM and get your exercise on.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    " I don't diet, i don't eat healthy. I eat whatever my mom buys. I am picky when it comes to certain healthy foods. Some foods i absolutely won't eat is asparagus, fish, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, hummus, bananas, and tomatoes."

In this sentence lies the 'mystery' clue(s) (lots of them).
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    hi, I;m also 120 pounds but probsably 5 ft or ahorterthan that.

I never changed the foods I eat. I still eat em just in moderation and at a deficit.(thats how I lost 25 pounds)

Like you I wanna lose 15-20 pounds. I know we can do it,

:)
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Why are you waiting till January 1st? Start now! I know it's the holidays, but if you start now, you'll be that much closer to your goal. The longer you put it off, the less likely you will be to start. START NOW! You've made the first step in joining MFP, but waiting to do anything negates that. Even if you don't eat "healthy" or what many people here consider "clean eating", start logging your calories. Drink an extra bottle of water per day. Get more protein, less carbs.

I've found in terms of workouts at home, finding the "fun" ones make it less mundane. Dance workouts usually keep me the most engaged.

Belly dancing workouts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPzrup3W2M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld31t2rZa9g

Tabata dance workout:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0nEpG8tno

1347851823515_75029651.png
  • kelseyn8593
    kelseyn8593 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend if you'd like; I live in Fairbanks!
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a group for people with weight loss goals for next spring. My goal is to reach my ideal weight by my bday in April. There's quite a few of us that have something happening this spring or just want to be ready by summer. Check us out and we can share ideas and motivate each other

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17737-goal-spring-2014-weight-loss
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm moving down to Texas in May and I want to go to the beach a lot. Thing is, i don't have a bikini body. I'm 19, female, I am 5'1 and 120 pounds. Since I'm so short, 120 pounds looks really bad on me. At my height, I'm suppose to be around 105 lbs. I don't diet, i don't eat healthy. I eat whatever my mom buys. I am picky when it comes to certain healthy foods. Some foods i absolutely won't eat is asparagus, fish, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, hummus, bananas, and tomatoes. I've had those foods multiple times and still can't get used to them. I have a few youtube videos i might start using that targets muffin tops, which is what i have. I want to lose my stomach, my love handles, and my thighs. Don't try to say my weight is fine, because my stomach and love handles hang over my pants. I used to be a size 1-3 in pants and now I'm a size 5-7. And i have to get large-xlarge shirts or else my stomach hangs out. I used to exercise back in 9th grade and just stopped. And i regret it. I used to be able to run a mile in under 7 minutes, now i'd be lucky if i could run down the block without getting winded haha. I am tired all the time and I'm sick of it! Now one thing i'd have to ween myself off of is sprite, i am addicted to it. But i do balance that out by drinking at least three water bottles a day. I can't go outside or to a gym to workout since i live in Alaska and it's freezing! And i don't have a car anymore. So i'd have to do in home workouts. I do try to do some yoga before bed, I'm still somewhat flexible. Anyone have any recommendations on diets? Exercise schedule i should do? I'd like breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack ideas also. I get very tired when i try to exercise, and a little lightheaded also. I'm not sure if that's because i'm out of shape or not. I'm hoping the exercise and diet will help stop that along with the anxiety attacks i get. Any tips you can give me will be appreciated. I will likely begin my exercise routine after January 1st. So I'll have about 4 months to lose the 15-20 pounds. I want to start working out 3 times a week for the first month to get used to it, then maybe increase to 4 or 5 after that.

To be honest you are being pretty ambitious. You are already a normal weight for your height with less than 20lbs to lose. Realistically you could lose 2lbs, perhaps 3lbs a month if you were completely dedicated and zoned in. Id recommend beginning to start a lift weighting routine, so that you might not have to lose as much weight but become leaner instead.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comment, you're being ambitious. When I was 120 lbs (also 5'1 and 19) I was very fit.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think you should try working on changing your body composition instead of weight loss.

Keep your protein up, drink more water, and replace some of your unhealthier choices with fruits and veggies. You don't have to make a complete 180. You can still enjoy treats as long as you are providing your body adequate nutrition, too. Doing better is better than doing nothing!

Make a weekly workout plan and if your goal is exercise and not losing weight via diet, make a plan for a moderate workout an hour per day 5x per week. Include some cardio and weights. You can do yoga; it's great for flexibility and stress relief. However, you really need to ramp your workouts up if you want to see changes in your body. I understand not wanting to work out in the cold as I live in a cold (not quite as cold) area, too. Use Leslie Sansone walk at home videos.

How about committing to walking half hour per day and doing 30 Day Shred 5x per week for a month or two and then figuring out where you want to go from there?