SUCCESS, I finished my first 5k!

Options
jrich1
jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
at 314 lbs a year ago, I never thought I would even be able to do anything like this.. on a cold Nov morning, it was 38 at race time, I completed something I previous thought impossible. I was running outside before and had set my goal not to finish last.. OK well really I wanted 35min, which would have bested my usualy running time by 4-5min (usually averaged around 40min running outside).. well I dont know what it was, but I pushed myself to the limit.. did the first mile seemed like it went by pretty quick, mile 2 felt longer (maybe crowd thined out) and I was running alone, my friend I was running with was long behind me.. I remember running back into the park I could sense I was getting close, and the spotter on the course said Go you are almost there, the final corner I had a lady next to me and told me we are almost there, I saw the 3 mile mark and could now see the finish line and the close.. and about went into disbelief.. I actually went into full sprint about the last 200 yds leaving the lady behind me and finished with my wife, kids and everyone cheering with several people saying Great job you did it.. well the sprint was worth it, my previous 35min goal was reduced to 32:33, I averaged a 10:29 mile pace and accomplished it.
Here is a pic my wife took of my getting close to the finish line (battery went dead right after this)

76869_1467876022157_1391275630_31093178_7455472_n.jpg

Replies

• tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!!!:happy: You've been working hard and this is one of the MANY ways that it's paid off for you.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Great job! Keep on runnin'!
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just got chills reading your post! How crazy is that! I am so Proud of you... just look what you have accomplished! And your Wife and Kids cheering you on, they are so very proud of you, too!! What a Wonderful Accomplishment!!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome......I want to do a 5k but I work nights and all of them are first thing in the morning....I would have to run it on no sleep....I don't know if I could do it....I am hoping my husband will get a better job so I can get a day time job and then I can push myself.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment!!! You're an inspiration to anyone that needs to continue their motivation and to reach their goals.

So what's next???
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Congratulations! We have no idea what we are really capable of until we push ourselves. Keep up the great job...you are such a great rolemodel for your family!
  • jrich1
    Options
    Great accomplishment!!! You're an inspiration to anyone that needs to continue their motivation and to reach their goals.

So what's next???

Some more 5ks till I get the rest of the weight off and then go from there
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    WoW...congrats. I love your story, very inspiring : ) I'm not ready to run a 5K yet.....you have me considering one....pondering : )

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Christine.
  • jrich1
    Options
    WoW...congrats. I love your story, very inspiring : ) I'm not ready to run a 5K yet.....you have me considering one....pondering : )

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Christine.

Just get out there and do it, no shame in walking if you need to
  • doelani
    Options
    Well done, really inspirationa.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Kudos to you! You made it happen by the choices you made and the actions you took! Keep at it!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Your post described a lot of what i felt when i ran a 5k a month ago. Race adrenaline is the most awesome thing you can feel, it's like your de-tached from yourself. Your accomplishment is no small feat. Keep training hard and before you know it, you'll be running a half marathon!:drinker:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    at 314 lbs a year ago, I never thought I would even be able to do anything like this.. on a cold Nov morning, it was 38 at race time, I completed something I previous thought impossible. I was running outside before and had set my goal not to finish last.. OK well really I wanted 35min, which would have bested my usualy running time by 4-5min (usually averaged around 40min running outside).. well I dont know what it was, but I pushed myself to the limit.. did the first mile seemed like it went by pretty quick, mile 2 felt longer (maybe crowd thined out) and I was running alone, my friend I was running with was long behind me.. I remember running back into the park I could sense I was getting close, and the spotter on the course said Go you are almost there, the final corner I had a lady next to me and told me we are almost there, I saw the 3 mile mark and could now see the finish line and the close.. and about went into disbelief.. I actually went into full sprint about the last 200 yds leaving the lady behind me and finished with my wife, kids and everyone cheering with several people saying Great job you did it.. well the sprint was worth it, my previous 35min goal was reduced to 32:33, I averaged a 10:29 mile pace and accomplished it.
    Here is a pic my wife took of my getting close to the finish line (battery went dead right after this)

76869_1467876022157_1391275630_31093178_7455472_n.jpg

Your awesome energy drained the battery power in the camera. LOL GREAT JOB! I'm running my first 5K on Thanksgiving!
  • LGIFitness2K11
    Options
    Awesome Awesome job!! I am WALKING (lol) a 5k tomorrow for the American Heart Association's Heart Walk. I hope to run/jog a 5k next time! You have definitely inspired me dude!:)
  • jrich1
    Options
    Awesome Awesome job!! I am WALKING (lol) a 5k tomorrow for the American Heart Association's Heart Walk. I hope to run/jog a 5k next time! You have definitely inspired me dude!:)

Hey getting out there and doing it, its good for you and a great experience!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Can't wait to say the same thing a month from now!
  • jrich1
    Options
    Bump
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    T minus 1 week for me
  • tigerrohr1969
    Options
    that is just a awesome story....CONGRATULATIONS...and hopefully many more runs.....
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Truly inspirational! I know you and your family are proud of you! WTG!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!