Weight loss without Cardio

Options
I'm trying to find an exercise plan (other than walking) to try and kickstart my weight loss again. I CAN'T do cardio, I have aheart condition and with a recent bout of Glandular Fever cardio has been excluded by my doctor. Unfortunately the doctor can only suggest walking and trying to get to see an exercise physiologist has been impossible. I need to find things i can do on a very tight budget as I can only work part time. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Focus on diet to achieve weight reduction. Exercise for health - meaning do what your doctor says and walk.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with walking? I'd listen to your doctor
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You don't need exercise to lose weight, but if you want To workout, walking is perfectly fine. You could also try strength training, like lifting weights or doing body weight exercises.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    can you eat less calories than your tdee?
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. You can do this either through eating less, burning more, or a mixture of both.

If you walk for an hour a day, that would be around 700-1400 calories a week burnt, depending on pace, weight etc etc. If you also ate less than your maintenance, you could easily lose 0.5lb a week which is a healthy rate to lose at.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You don't need exercise to lose weight, but if you want To workout, walking is perfectly fine. You could also try strength training, like lifting weights or doing body weight exercises.

This^^^ If you dont want to walk. Lift.
  • mefiant
    mefiant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, looks like walking is it for me. I'm already on a low calorie diet, unfortunately medication makes weight loss a real struggle.
  • RhiannonBaugh
    RhiannonBaugh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting another doctors opinion on what you can do? Cardio is what you do to make your heart healthier and my grandparents doctors do nothing but try and get them to do more cardio to help with their heart problems, maybe you' be able to do more than you thought if you get a couple of different expert opinions? :)
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find an exercise plan (other than walking) to try and kickstart my weight loss again. I CAN'T do cardio, I have aheart condition and with a recent bout of Glandular Fever cardio has been excluded by my doctor. Unfortunately the doctor can only suggest walking and trying to get to see an exercise physiologist has been impossible. I need to find things i can do on a very tight budget as I can only work part time. Any suggestions?
    Right now I'm currently unemployed and my money is very tight. I have a pair of dentures waiting to be placed in my mouth, but my blood pressure is too high. I need to lose weight because now I can't afford high blood pressure meds. I would love to join a gym, do a class (I have friends who love Zumba and Kickboxing), or swim. But I can walk.
    Walking is no cost.
    It's at your own pace.
    When I first started, I could barely walk a 1/2 mile without being out of breath. I would have people passing me two and three times.
    But I gave myself 21 days to get use to walking. Now I walk at least six days a week.
    I also cut out process foods, increase my veggies (thank God for Alidi's low pricing) and limit my meat to fish and chicken mainly.
    My weight is down 27 pounds by eating right and walking.
    Until I start walking didn't know how many parks were so close to my home with walking parks! Most have paved walking paths of 1/2 mile. Each park have it's own flavor. One near me goes along a wooded path that don't seem like a half mile. Another one is right next to a school that half of the walkers live nearby and walk up to the park and alot of parents and kids walk to enjoy the playground.
    I hope this helps!
    Now I'm at 4 miles a day and loss 27 pounds