"Proper" attire for gym?

Options
So we *might* be getting a gym membership for the winter.

I am NOT in shape yet. I am not 800 pounds, but I am not in shape.

Is it a "no-no" to be in yoga pants and a sports bra? People are gonna have to see my flabby mom belly.

The problem is I get INSANELY hot when I exercise. I am always running warm in general but even walking briskly can make me sweat like a piggy.

Am I going to be banned from a gym or something for the attire??

Replies

• goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I got to a very large gym, and I don't usually see people in a sports bra alone. Maybe go with a support tank top??
  • fullagrace
    Options
    Yes I havent really seen anyone in just a sports bra at either of the gyms i attend regularly. Sweating is great for you. I used to hate sweating but now I feel proud leaving the gym covered in sweat.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Our gym it's required that your entire torso be covered - guys and girls, so no sports bras. But I do go to my college campus gym, so it could just be us that has that rule.

I'd definitely go a few times with a tank top first and then see if other people are wearing them/if it's even allowed.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I go in a t-shirt and yoga pants, and end up covered in sweat from hairline to belly button....and am no longer embarrassed by it. I used to be, but now I see this as a sign of strength....... or something....
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It will depend on the rules of the gym. Our gym doesn't allow tank tops, much less sports bras by themselves. But it is co-ed and doesn't want to have issues with oogliers or conceited guys eyeing themselves in the mirrors. In some of the women's gyms where I've worked, yoga pants and a sports bra were the standard attire, but there were no guys allowed to make us uncomfortable in that. I'd suggest asking their dress code when you first look at signing up, but be prepared that they may require a full t-shirt.
  • jillbedford
    Options
    I am a runner. I started running when I was 260lbs. I ran all year long. Sometimes it was close to 100 degrees. I had no choice but to run in the sports bra only. This was probably good for me though. Forcing me to be comfortable in my own skin. That skin is much smaller now. My BMI is actually normal. I hope to lose a little more weight but I would not hesitate to wear the same attire as I did at 260lbs. This is the only body we get. Be proud of it. You are not on the couch. You are getting stronger.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I got to a very large gym, and I don't usually see people in a sports bra alone. Maybe go with a support tank top??

Agreed. Depending on the gym a sports bra alone could be considered underwear. I sweat like a pig and get really REALLY hot so I go with a support tank that has the moisture wicking fabric so it keeps you cool. When those are dirty I default to a wife beater and sports bra. It's a light enough fabric that it's like not wearing a shirt without actually not wearing a shirt. Hope that helps! :drinker:
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're unsure, I'd ask at the gym before you attend what their rules are on attire
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would wear clothes that cover more skin... the main reason gyms enforce rules on sports bras is for health reasons. We have staph going around right now so I have been opting for long sleeve t-shirts and pants. Granted if you are in a t-shirt you may be just as likely to pick up germs as if you have on a mid-drift baring top, but why risk it anyway.
  • nroesler
    Options
    My vote is also for a tank top. Even in my all female gym i never see it and if I did see it I don't know how I would feel about it. When you do the gym tour look around at what everyone is wearing, if it's common then you'll fit right in.

I am a sweaty mess at the gym and I think you will find loads of products on the market with wick away fabrics that are super comfortable and supportive.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    Like most people have said, I wouldn't really recommend going to the gym in a sports bra. The vast majority of co-ed gyms require both men and women to be fully clothed. In the co-ed section of my gym, women can't even wear tank tops, only teeshirts. In the women's only section of my gym, we can wear tank tops but not sports bras. But check with your gym, they're all different, I suppose.

I'd say, spend a little money and get a good lightweight exercise top that is made of a good breathable material to keep yourself comfortable!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They will have a dress code - don't worry about sweat and bring your water bottle and a towel.
  • nroesler
    Options
    have you tried yoga? They are a little more liberal with dress code and you don't need a membership if you find a great studio. Hot yoga specifically
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sweating, that's what you're going to the gym for! And I would at least wear a tank top, if not a t-shirt. Most gyms do have some sort of dress code and for your own comfort and the comfort of the other gym members, it's best to keep covered up.
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can get thin tank tops or i've even seen ladies come in with the sports bra then a spagetti strap tanks over it. Sweatin is good. I sweat like crazy, what I do to compensate is wear shorts as often as possible with a tank top or t shirt. :)
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I didnt realize gyms would have dress codes, it makes sense but never really thought of it.

The sweating is what is really the issue its the heat. I have really low BP so when I get hot like that I get CRAZY light headed. No amount of water before/during/after helps.

Maybe I will just try to stick to my treadmill at home where I can do whatever in whatever I wanna wear.

To the person that suggested yoga, I will have to see about that. I know I couldn't do hot yoga at all but maybe the regular stuff.