Holiday Party?

Options
Hey there,
I know it is the time of year where so many people go to parties, and events. I have a Christmas party tomorrow and another one or two in the future. HOW do I even plan to eat at those? It is buffet style and there will be so many desserts to pick from. I still want to enjoy the party, but I do WANT to eat. Is there a certain allotment of calories I should leave for the food?

Any thoughts? How do I tell people if I am okay and do not want any food?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it, and eat in moderation (aka don't stuff your face to the point of binging). In reality, a few days over the holidays is not going to hurt you, as long as you keep going normally.

If possible, exercise before or afterhand to help offset the calories. This is what I did Thanksgiving. I went for a nice long morning hike and I indulged in a bit of everything at dinner. It was glorious.

Don't worry so much about it. It's only a few days out of the year, and in the grand scheme of things it's just a drop in the bucket. Holidays are meant to be enjoyed, just don't go overboard :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You just start on your loss? How much have you lost? Keep your food under your TDEE. Any weight gain may be result of added sodium. Would you feel sad to have the scale go up? Then keep off for a few days... If you wish, you can have a healthy light snack ahead of time and then eat only what you can't get year round at the party. You know? Like chips & dip, mac & cheese are usually available year round. But little riblets, Russian teacakes, fudge, and snickerdoodles not so much, lol.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. Try healthy choices. You'd be surprised that there will be some good choices. At my party I had Sea Bass and veggies, and I chose wine instead of a martini.
    Socialize, and don't make the food the most important thing. Relax and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
  • WifeofPastor
    WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There will be items that you don't eat all the time and in moderation they are fine for special occasions. Try to stay as far as you can from the food tables, talking with people, so it isn't easy just to reach out and take a sweet treat. Try not to drink a lot of pop, carry a glass of water around with you, then you will appear to have a drink and won't be encouraged to drink the soda type mixes or punches, no one needs to know that it is water for all they know it could be a vodka. You will probably gain a bit of weight back but don't worry about it, with a few good days of watching what you eat and exercising you will soon loose it again. Definitely do not stress over it because that is more likely to make you crave the foods that are there. Enjoy your party.
  • NuttyforHealth
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! :) Any others?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the parties. Focus on spending time with friends and family, not on the food. A few days over won't stop your progress.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I know it is the time of year where so many people go to parties, and events. I have a Christmas party tomorrow and another one or two in the future. HOW do I even plan to eat at those? It is buffet style and there will be so many desserts to pick from. I still want to enjoy the party, but I do WANT to eat. Is there a certain allotment of calories I should leave for the food?

Any thoughts? How do I tell people if I am okay and do not want any food?

Find some foods that you like and eat small portions. I went to four parties in a 24 hour period this last weekend and all the food was free! I had eaten someone less during the week to save up extra calories for the weekend, and also ate a bit less on Sunday and did an intense workout. My week's end calorie total was slightly under goal, which was fine with me

Enjoy the party!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Small portions & only have one plate :) Get a little of everything you want to try and have fun!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is not starve yourself all day till the party, Eat a lite breakfast, lite lunch etc. Then when the party is going, you will not feel ravaged and won't over eat so much. Eat more proteins (meats) and Veggies), then allow yourself one or two very small deserts for it being a special occasion. Then tomorrow, eat normally, but eat lower sodium foods (the food at the party will most likely be full of sodium, which will add water weight gain.) by lowering sodium the next day and drinking plenty of water, you will wash that water weight back out of your system. Good Luck and enjoy the party :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Small but reasonable portions :) Pick a few things to just taste and a couple of things to have a larger portion of. Eat filling but low-cal food all day before you go. It's a good day for tuna on salad greens and lots of filling veggies :D

If you are really, really good, eat your maintenance calories for your current weight. I go over, but I don't binge. I like going over for a rare party! Yum :D But don't eat all kinds of multiples of everything. Savor them and move on to talking to someone, etc. No need to go crazy with it, but do enjoy yourself. JMO, of course.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    thats why it is called a PARTY
    eat it all
    drink it all
    go have fun
    WORK IT OFF
  • Emmiejayne90
    Options
    thats why it is called a PARTY
    eat it all
    drink it all
    go have fun
    WORK IT OFF

haha love it! I can tell myself I wont but this is what I will do :/ Christmas only comes one time a year! Enjoy it! Then get back in the gym!! Not looking forward to January gym :cry:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat, then go and grab yourself a burger, pizza, and take a chill pill.

Alternatively, go for a run in the morning, and you give yourself a 'licence' to eat more. Not rocket science.
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    I'm sure some won't agree with me... but it's just one day! As long as you stay on track before and after, enjoy it and don't worry too much about what you eat. Although I would avoid alcohol ;)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Usually there a fresh fruit and vegetable trays. Shrimp?
    I try to make healthier choices, but sometimes it is not possible.
    Have fun and enjoy, it is only a few days.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    Try to get some extra exercise beforehand to make room for more calories. I got some good tips for dealing with buffets when I was on vacation.

1. Fill up on soup and salad first. Then go back for the higher calorie stuff.
    2. Ask yourself "Am I really enjoying this?" If the answer is yes, go ahead and enjoy it. Don't just mindlessly eat because food is available.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Take just very small portions of the things you want to eat... limit yourself to one plate (or two small ones, if it's a long event and you think you must...). One of the most dangerous things about eating at a holiday party is the auto-pilot eating, where we eat without really paying attention to what we're eating because we're also busy talking and having fun. Soooo... try to savor and enjoy every bite you take - actually think about the delicious things you're eating :-) You only need a few bites of something to get a lot of satisfaction out of it if you actually consciously enjoy the bites that you do take!

Thank you for posing the question - I have two holiday parties to go to this week for work, and it helped me to think about this and how I'm going to handle each... I'll do what I just recommended, above :-) I'll be happy to try a few little things, but I don't want to auto-eat and feel really bad (both physically and mentally) the next day! A few little indulgences that I really focus on enjoying should be nice :-)