Question for Women

Options
This may sound odd sorry... I am not the typical girli girl, and this weekend I got taken to a club in Vegas wearing a dress and heels (I do not own dresses and heels). Within 5 min my feet hurt so bad from these 6" stiletto boots I thought I was going to die, I could barley walk lol.

My question, is this because I am heavy?? How do I learn to walk in these things is there some summer camp classes I missed in middle school or something? Tips Please

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no, its because you're not used to wearing heels.

start with a kitten heel... theres nothing worse than a woman who cant walk in heels and walks like they shat themselves....
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    just don't wear heels maybe? aren't there studies upon studies outlining the risks of permanent damage to your knees, hips, back etc?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Start with lower thicker heels or even wedge heels. Don't use stilettos.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The advice to start low and work up is right. Also, if you are big then there os more pressure on a smaller area so it will hurt more. In terms of lb/square inch the pressure of a woman of a healthy weight in a stiletto is more than an elephant exerts!
    Finally - if you want to wear heels they are worth spending a reasonable amount on. The higher end are generally better engineered better structured and comfier
  • TheZaxian
    TheZaxian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd sorry... I am not the typical girli girl, and this weekend I got taken to a club in Vegas wearing a dress and heels (I do not own dresses and heels). Within 5 min my feet hurt so bad from these 6" stiletto boots I thought I was going to die, I could barley walk lol.

My question, is this because I am heavy?? How do I learn to walk in these things is there some summer camp classes I missed in middle school or something? Tips Please
    I suggest either avoiding heels altogether, or going for smaller heels. You only 'learn' how to walk in them through practice, but frankly I wouldn't recommend it - as another poster mentioned, high heels are actually pretty bad for you (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-heeled_footwear#Health_impact).
    (Also, I feel your pain, I'm also not a 'girly' girl and I find it a total PITA that I have to wear heels sometimes, they're painful impractical things - I have one pair of (reasonably) comfortable, medium heels that I own specifically for such occasions).
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know who exactly it benefits for women to totter around in totally stupid shoes.

I haven't worn a stiletto in ages. I can do without being crippled on a night out! I'd prefer to be capable of dancing (and walking, to be fair...) I also have very small feet so it makes high heels seem even higher.

Just say no! :drinker:
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Because you are so heavy? Is that you in your user pic? If so, that is a ridiculous question!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I weigh alittle more than I did in that pic,

As for why wear heels, I am not saying I want to wear them every day just on a night out on the town once in a while when we go to places on the Vegas Strip that requires dresses and heels
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    why would anyone ever HAVE to wear heels?
  • roxylola
    Options
    Because they want to pull off a particular look that in their mind requires heels. The OP was not looking for approval of her footwear.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just find something comfortable. Heels equal emergency room trip for me. Not because of weak ankles, but because my tendons are so strong the bones break first. One night in painful heels is not worth two months (or more) in a walking boot not being able to work out.
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    I'd like to know who exactly it benefits for women to totter around in totally stupid shoes.

I haven't worn a stiletto in ages. I can do without being crippled on a night out! I'd prefer to be capable of dancing (and walking, to be fair...) I also have very small feet so it makes high heels seem even higher.

Just say no! :drinker:

I agree (except I do have large feet!).

With regards to who it benefits, I'd say it's the lazy dudes who can't be bothered chasing a girl. With stilettos on, a girl can't run too good! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ETA: Seriously, OP, I feel for you. I just avoid wearing heels like the plague. I can't do it. But sometimes I'd like to be able to wear a moderate heel as I think it does, on the right occasion, make a lady feel more feminine. Don't go crazy and harm yourself though!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OP, if you dont 'do' heels, maybe look for some sparkly ballet pumps for a dressed up look thats flat?
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    try a wedge. stilettos are bound to kill even the most seasoned heel wearing woman's feet. also wearing a heel with a platform toe is more comfortable, you can also get the dr shols inserts for heels, i hear they are wonderful
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Heals are something that takes a learning curve. The only way to be able to dance all night in heals is if you wear them for hours on end in your regular life. I used to work on my feet in 2" heals when I was younger and dancing n them still hurt my feet. I haven't worn any heals aside from riding boots in years so now just walking for an hour in real heals hurts my feet again.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    Because they want to pull off a particular look that in their mind requires heels. The OP was not looking for approval of her footwear.

she's asking for help to wear something painful, is natural to wonder why the **** anyone would bother! isn't it?
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    anyway I think I get why someone might want to but not why anyone would ever 'have' to - if that makes sense
  • roxylola
    Options
    It's also not any of our business and totally irrelevant.

And wearing them enough does result in a nice shapely calf

Wedges can make you go a bit clompy though I would go for kittens for a ladylike look.
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it's because of your weight. Eons ago, when I was 18 and weighed a delightful 115 lbs high heels still hurt my feet. It was horrible, but I "sucked it up" and toughed it out. Now I have permanent damage to my knees and a nifty little neuroma in my right foot that comes back like an annoying relative that won't take a hint, every time I try to wear anything more than flats.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    LOL...I wish there had been lessons at school. I can't walk in them either. I do have small feet with a really high instep though so that doesn't help.

I'd echo the comments about working your way up from lower heels and getting a well made pair of shoes too. Cheap shoes are a false economy!

I have some fairly high heeled boots that I can slip a good insole into, that helps and in the winter still looks dressy enough. If I go for stiletto type heels I stay fairly low (3" max) as it's better to feel confident in your stride than totter around on heels that make you look like bambi!