Question for Women

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because they want to pull off a particular look that in their mind requires heels. The OP was not looking for approval of her footwear.

she's asking for help to wear something painful, is natural to wonder why the **** anyone would bother! isn't it?

This....I don't understand why women do this. I wear cute flats and "my look" is unaffected. *shrug*
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Stilettos are pretty shoes but impractical if you are going to be on your feet for long periods of time. They really are not a good heel to wear the first time if you aren't used to heels at all. It's better to wear a shorter, thicker heel and get used to that first before trying to wear stilettos. I personally only wear them if I know I'm going somewhere I'm going to be sitting the majority of the time. It's just to hard on the balls of the feet and the lower back to wear them while standing or walking for long periods of time. That being said, the reason women wear them is because they do some nice shaping to the calves, thighs and buttocks, and lengthen a woman's sillhouette, making her appear taller and slimmer. I've worn them enough now I'm able to walk, run or dance in them, but I don't do that much because it's too painful and too hard on the feet and back in the long run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's also not any of our business and totally irrelevant.

And wearing them enough does result in a nice shapely calf

Wedges can make you go a bit clompy though I would go for kittens for a ladylike look.

i have nice shapely calves, but i cant pistol squat because my calf muscle is ****ed from wearing heels!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    why would anyone ever HAVE to wear heels?

I HAVE to wear heels. Flat shoes hurt my lower back. I can wear tennis shoes but only for work outs. I tried to wear flats when I started working in a school but the pain was so great that I had to go back to wearing heels. Like the recent posts stated start out with a lower heel then work up to a higher heel. My sister loves to wear heels and can't walk at all in them so she practices in the house.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is that you in the profile photo? And you think your feet hurt because of your weight???

Anyway, no. Your feet hurt because those shoes are uncomfortable and our feet are not meant to be in that position for that long. I don't wear serioulsy high heels anywhere that requires a lot of walking or standing where I will be unable to remove them.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I agree with other posts and you should try for a nicer shoe that you are comfortable with. But if you insist on wearing heels you should start out small. The balls of your feet will hurt. Also go to your local drug store and get some cushion inserts. They make ones specifically for woman's high heel shoes so they are more narrow and focus on padding by your toes. Also might be a good idea to throw a paid of those fold up flip flop or slipper shoes into your purse (they sell them as advertised for like bridesmaids/brides). And then you don't have to get home in the uncomfortable shoes, you can change them out and give your feet a rest.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    OP, I wear flats most of the time, but I have many pairs of gorgeous heels for out on the town and stuff. (But that's because I'm a bit of a shoe w****. ) If you are going to wear heels, make sure they are well made. You need to be able to balance most of your weight on the shaft itself (like a regular shoe) and not all on the balls of your feet. Then you'll be able walk and your feet won't hurt.

However... 6"? Even I won't go above 4.5". That's just asking for trouble. :)
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I prefer platforms. Tallness achieved with far less stress on the joints...and easier to walk in.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    i have nice shapely calves, but i cant pistol squat because my calf muscle is ****ed from wearing heels!

Is that why I can't pistol squat?!?

And yes anything over 4.5" needs a comfort platform in.
  • PolkaDot_Princess
    PolkaDot_Princess Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    First of all you dont look heavy!! And it's not your weight, its because you're not used to walking in heels. Someone else mentioned a kitten heel and i suggest that as well. 6 inch stillettos when you're not used to heels is pure punishment!! Plus when we're in pain and trying to walk we look the opposite of sexy :-)

Also when walking in hells keep your back and posture staight, engage your core and when you walk your heel should be hitting the ground first not your toe. Practice pratice and for the love of god toss the 6 inchers, those are no good for anyone! Or if you do like a high heel go for a little platform in the front (easier on the arch)
  • thxo
    thxo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    no, its because you're not used to wearing heels.

^^ Exactly. It takes practice!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    OP, I wear flats most of the time, but I have many pairs of gorgeous heels for out on the town and stuff. (But that's because I'm a bit of a shoe w****. ) If you are going to wear heels, make sure they are well made. You need to be able to balance most of your weight on the shaft itself (like a regular shoe) and not all on the balls of your feet. Then you'll be able walk and your feet won't hurt.

This woman says it all!!! I worked in heels for years, the better made the shoe, the more comfy!!!! And, you should be able to walk normally in good pair of heels that aren't outrageously high (vs. the beginners prance). ;)
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Heels can be evil and they can be your best friend. Just have to adjust to them. If you're wearing a certain shoe for an event break them in. If you picked a cute (too tall) heel get something similarly shaped that you can wear first as practice and Then move up in height. If it's not a specific event.... and just a cute shoe thing, break them in first!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    6" heels are REALLY high, in my opinion. The style lately is crazy---like, huge platform, pointy 5+ inch heel---just, no. I'm pretty fashion conscious, but I think it's crazy that women feel like they need to wear these. Find a more practical-sized heel if they're hurting you.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Even if you were a little heavier then your picture you are still not fat.

6 inch stiletto heals are hard on the feet. Stick to 4 inch heals and make sure they are well fitted and comfortable.
  • ElegantSlenderChic
    Options
    You cannot separate me from my heels!! First lesson, if they hurt in the store they will hurt for the rest of your life, shop around for a reasonably comfortable pair. Step 2~ wear them in like a good pair of hiking boots- I became a stiletto fundi by practising at home, I'd cook, do the dishes, go up and down the stairs watch tv in heels until it felt like second nature. I wear them because of the dramatic change in my posture, (it's a power trip) and because of the effect they have on men :blushing:

That said, if you really aren't a stiletto girl then do what comes naturally to you. Nothing is as sexy as being yourself.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

This woman says it all!!! I worked in heels for years, the better made the shoe, the more comfy!!!! And, you should be able to walk normally in good pair of heels that aren't outrageously high (vs. the beginners prance). ;)

Third this....well made, well balanced, and properly fitting heels are so much easier to walk in, and much more comfortable.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    6 inch heels! I would die. My calf muscles would lock so tight I wouldn't be able to move. When I wear heels, it's usually kitten heels. I never "mastered" those, so I don't bother going higher. I think it takes lots and lots of practice and with new studies and reports coming out, I don't think it's worth it.

I think you should ditch the stilettos and get some great cute sparkly flats or wedges, like others have suggested. Honestly, when I am out with my friends at the bars/clubs and we are people watching, we usually chuckle at the girls trying to dance in ridiculous heels. They hardly ever achieve the "look" they are going for. Drinking + Dancing + Stilettos = disaster
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1. Going from no heel to six inch heels is kinda like deciding you want to run a marathon, but havent done the couch to 5K yet...and I can wear heels for a few hours but my max outside the bedroom is 3 inches.

2. If you want to wear heels I would do a chunkier heel until you work up to that height, and type. Kitten heels or pumps are a good idea. Also it depends on what type of support the shoe has. I can walk for hours in my softspots but only a few minutes in other heeled shoes. Sofft, softspots, Born, ( brands that are relatively comfy) Boots are also good way to ease into the heel thing.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My grandmother put me in 2" heels when I was 12 or 13. Even with the years of practice I can still only tolerate about a 3.5" heel, max, but I'm also very short.

Most (not all, of course, but most) of the women I see wearing platform heels or the 5"+ heels usually look like they're about to fall over, and they take these ridiculous, tiny, knees-always-bent unnatural steps. They look like idiots. Of course, they seem to look like they think every man wants to have them and every woman wants to be them. Uh, no, Cupcake. One of these days I'm going to video one of these girlies walking around like she's got sandpaper in her crack and show it to her. What could possibly go wrong? It's not like she'd be able to chase me down!