Breakfast with Santa

Options
jess1992uga
jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
Hey guys--
I really need help. This year the theme for our Xmas meal is B-fast with Santa. My mom knows I love baking and that it's healing for me so I will be baking everything for her, my brother, stepdad, and stepbrother. I am totally fine with this as I need some healing this Christmas as my dad passed three weeks ago. Here is my dillemma...I am trying to recover from anorexia. So I most likely will just make myself a safe meal. But since I have had my disorder since age 6 (I am 21 now) I really don't know what breakfasty things people like. Doesn't matter if healthy or not (mom is trying to lose weight and is also recovering from anorexia so some healthy may be good) but just wondering what b-fast spread would make your guys Christmas merry. My brother is coming home from Texas and its gonna be a hard Christmas for him without my dad as well. So I really want to make this merry. I just need "normal" people's ideas of breakfast :)

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you trying to go for a "normal" weekend, family-style, big breakfast kind of meal, which (in the U.S.) might include pancakes, french toast, or waffles; fried eggs; bacon, sausage, ham, or (in the mid-Atlantic) scrapple; toast or biscuits; grits (in the South); orange juice; and coffee? Or are you looking for more of a brunch-type, entertaining-company meal, which might include anything from a breakfast casserole (usually eggs and sausage, maybe cheese, although I've also seen things more like a bread pudding) to fresh sweet rolls (e.g., cinnamon rolls), made-to-order omelets, corned-beef hash, hash-brown potatoes...

You could incorporate eggnog into french toast batter or a bread pudding to go for a Christmas flavor.

For "healthier" (by which I'm guessing you mean nutrient-dense foods without a lot of added fat and sugar) choices, you could offer oatmeal with mix-ins/toppings like canned pumpkin, dried fruit, and nuts. I like to add tomatoes, bell peppers, and/or onions to the skillet when cooking eggs, potatoes, etc. Ham and bacon (if you cook it crisp) are leaner breakfast meat options than most sausage. Baked (or pan-fried) apples, maybe with a bit of streusel-style topping (pecans, a little flour, sugar, butter)?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Banana Fosters French Toast!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/bananas-fosters-topped-overnight-french.html

Serve with an assortment of fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee, and a protein of some kind (sausage, bacon, ham, etc...). It will be light enough for your mother, but allow her to eat healthy.
  • slodawnc
    slodawnc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Idea for pancakes to be a little healthier is to mash a banana with 1 or 2 eggs. You then just cook this like a regular pancake. Eggs with bacon, sausage or ham, hashbrowns and wheat toast is another option. There is also stuffed french toast, waffles, muffins, oatmeal. Sausage gravy and biscuits. I have a great recipe for a Garden Vegetable frittata which is a little healther. These are a few different breakfast ideas I have used. You can add some sliced fruit for or chopped fruit as a side type of dish also, hope this helps.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...not really specific just staying home with the 4 of us...so breakfast style or brunch style :)
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    I always imagined that Santa would have waffles with ice cream, with eggs and bacon on the side...
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Eggs, poached or scrambled on some good toast with real butter. Not lashings of it but I would do without before I would use a substitute. Eggs Benedict is a nice meal with some smoked salmon, perhaps with some avocado on the side. For me it has the advantage that you can cook it all and eat together. If I do pancakes I always seem to be cooking them as they are being eaten! served with some bucks fizz (or OJ for drivers) and followed by some nice fresh fruit salad. If you are feeling adventurous perhaps look at making a home made sauce to serve with the fruit (dark chocolate would be lush)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Totally not healthy, but we do biscuits and gravy if we're all able to get together on Christmas morning. We eat it 1-2 times a year, so it's guilt free in that regard.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine passed 7 years ago and the holidays are still tough without him. I hope you are able to enjoy the time as a family.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into baking bread.

I find that very therapuetic and the smell is wonderful.

Christmas breakfast to me is always smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Not sure if that's a thing in America?
  • sac4fd
    sac4fd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon rolls are my families traditional Christmas breakfast :)

Sorry about your loss. I hope you have a nice time with your family during holiday.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss but good for you for trying to make it nice for the family! May it be a Christmas breakfast of good memories as well as good food!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Overnight-Cinnamon-Rolls-I/Detail.aspx?prop24=RD_RelatedRecipes

I make these the night before then pop them in the oven in the morning. I do leave out the raisins but add pecans on top. We serve it with bacon while the kids open presents.

:flowerforyou:
  • chezjulie1
    chezjulie1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Jess, good for you for planning a safe meal for yourself but also spending time with family. I know that holidays and the food involved can be stressful for people with anorexia. And I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is really tough.

Since you enjoy baking, something like scones might be fun to make. Or maybe a breakfast-y bread pudding. You can supplement the baked item with some bacon and fresh fruit and good coffee. That would be a wonderful Breakfast with Santa to me!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    First- Sorry for your loss :flowerforyou:

Second- If you're eggs & bacon kind of people, you can try Egg Beaters for the eggs, cuts out a lot of calories and fat, but still taste like eggs. I like to mix some chopped onions, bell peppers, turkey lunch meat and a small bit of cheese with my scrambled eggs. You could try turkey bacon for you and your mom and get regular bacon for anyone who isn't on the turkey bacon train. Cut up some red skin potatoes and cook them up with a little olive oil and seasonings for hash browns and grab a bag of bagels or make some toast... Pretty traditional breakfast in my house- easy, but yummy :smile:

Edit: You can also chop up some fresh fruit (strawberries, grapes, apples, bananas, peaches, etc) to mix for a side!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I made this this week and it was heavenly. It didn't keep well so it's not practical for just myself and my husband but if you've got a group it would work great.

http://www.littlehouseliving.com/cream-cheese-danish.html

I'm also a huge fan of making scones, muffins, and other breakfast carbs.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Among other things my d in l always makes a cinnamon thing to be ready to bake in the morning. You use frozen bun dough and mix in pudding powder, cinnamon and such. It thaws and rises overnight and smells wonderful in the morning when it is baking. I am sure you could find a recipe on the internet. Then she does fresh fruit, bacon in the oven and eggs for those that want it. Not diet food but certainly comfort food. Have a blessed Christmas with your family
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into baking bread.

I find that very therapuetic and the smell is wonderful.

Christmas breakfast to me is always smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Not sure if that's a thing in America?

I was literally about to write the last couple of sentences myself. But then, I'm not American either. Smoked salmon and scambled eggs goes lovely with fresh-baked wholemeal bread, lightly toasted with butter.

OP, I'm sorry for your loss. And good luck with whatever you decide to cook for your Breakfast with Santa.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If there's just 4 of you, I think you should poll everyone for their very favourite thing (yours included) and make all of them to share (with help if you need it or by preparing what you can ahead). This way everyone feels treated and you know they are going to love it. Perhaps also make what was your Dad's favourite to honour his memory?