Alcohol

Options
I enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner. I have heard that alcohol should be cut out completely when trying to lose weight. Has anyone had success losing weight while continuing to enjoy moderate alcohol consumption? Example: Yesterday I had a total of 1470 calories I could consume. I only used 1203, and that included one glass of wine. Will the alcohol stunt my success even if I remain within my calories?

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have one to two drinks a day (sometimes more on weekends) and I have consistently lost weight. As a general rule, as long as you maintain a calorie deficit, the weight will come off.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Just count the calories. Alcohol metabolizes differently but it won't stunt your goals, it just won't help either. Just count the calories and it's fine. I think I read that it's recommended to count 7calories for each gram of carbohydrate in Alcohol. Slightly higher then it's actual value due to it's metabolic variation, but i'm not sure why this is. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this?
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I still drink alcohol about once a month or so. I am still losing inches. I think it is more a matter of weighing yourself right afterword, because you can see a drop in the scale. On Halloween I went to a party with friends then in the morning I had a five pound drop, and I now that wasn't right so I think it can mess around with your brain. I haven't weighed my self since because I hate the scale its mean to me.....:ohwell:
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have drinks at least twice a week. Usually it's a vodka soda with lime or glass of wine. To me, it's cals in / cals out so I tend to incorporate that in my daily intake as well.

I have lost weight maintaining a cal deficit.
  • DJ135
    DJ135 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for all the positive comments.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a negative relationship with alcohol, there is no reason that you shouldn't fit it into your caloric goal like any other food.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have tried to refrain from drinking alcohol. I love eating too much and I would rather eat my calories than drink them. Just my personal preference.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Funny story - I broke my sub-160 plateau by a night of heavy drinking (my annual mother's day intoxication). I weighed 161 that morning (and for weeks), got memory-loss drunk that night from Long Island doubles, and ate a mess of fried pickles at the bar, and then a Carl's Jr. Monster Thickburger on the ride home. The next afternoon when I woke up, I weighed myself out of curiosity and was 157. I might have gotten a pound or so back, but the road to 152 was pretty quick after that :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I have one to two drinks a day (sometimes more on weekends) and I have consistently lost weight...

Ditto.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Funny story - I broke my sub-160 plateau by a night of heavy drinking (my annual mother's day intoxication). I weighed 161 that morning (and for weeks), got memory-loss drunk that night from Long Island doubles, and ate a mess of fried pickles at the bar, and then a Carl's Jr. Monster Thickburger on the ride home. The next afternoon when I woke up, I weighed myself out of curiosity and was 157. I might have gotten a pound or so back, but the road to 152 was pretty quick after that :)

I have only drank twice since I started this journey in August. Both times I drank excessively. Both times I lost quite a bit of weight the following week. Weird.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I have only drank twice since I started this journey in August. Both times I drank excessively. Both times I lost quite a bit of weight the following week. Weird.

I'm not the kind of person to just enjoy a single drink. I drink maybe twice a year, and when I do, I lose my mind haha
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you meet your micro (vitamins and minerals) and macro (Protein and Fat, carbs are less important if you hit the other 2) targets there shouldn't be a problem. That said it is difficult to get all macros and micros on a diet less than 1200 cals, so eating only 1200 shouldn't leave room for alcohol as you would be missing something.

You can still lose weight doing it, but your health may suffer if it is a regular occurrence that you don't get your micros and macros.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not a problem - just log and fit it in. I drink primarily dry wine. To substitute for beer when I want something fizzy, I make a very light (1/4 oz. to 8 oz.) bourbon and sparkling water.

Choosing to use some calories for alcohol does leave fewer available for other treats. It's a tradeoff.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I drink wine almost every night, and am at goal weight, very lean, in good shape, etc. No worries. I'd definitely stay away from sweet/sugary drinks, though.
  • blondepaparazzi
    blondepaparazzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I drink everyday, sometimes a couple of drinks, sometimes more, but I have steadily lost weight, I just add it to my calories. I've been working out to account for some of the calories but other than that I've lost 11 pounds and haven't changed my drinking habits too much!
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think the main danger of drinking alcohol is that its dis-inhibiting effects make me care less about what I eat. After about half a drink, I think "Oh, what the hell, ya gotta live, I'll have that second portion or plate full of dessert".

If it were just the calories, it's easy to account for that in the daily plan. But once I have a little buzz, I just want to relax and eat whatever I want.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    The real question is: Will you be able to MAINTAIN your weight loss with having a glass of wine per day? Maybe, maybe not...YOU have to test your metabolism. A drinker is always going to support THEIR habit; they will justify their excessive drinking...so you REALLY do NOT want their opinion. Keep track of YOUR Body and what it is doing because some of those people are going to have liver, kidney and other physical problems, even with wt. loss.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have one to two drinks a day (sometimes more on weekends) and I have consistently lost weight...

Ditto.

Tritto. :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner. ....... enjoy moderate alcohol consumption?
    I'm not sure that daily use is considered moderate.