best treadmill for under $1000

Options
I think my treadmill has kicked the bucket one me - going to try and fiddle with the belt but in the mean time want to look around for a good sturdy treadmill that is still affordable.

I've looked at the proform 995 and 995c but there are iffy reviews about the customer service. Thought I'd see who is in love with their treadmills on here and if they could make a good recommendation... I generally run 2-3 miles at a slow pace 3-4 times a week... incline isn't a big issue as ceiling height in the basement prohibits anything drastic...

Thanks! any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Save your money and go walking outside!!!
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ah if i lived in an area where the sidewalks weren't death traps in winter I certainly would... boss broke both arms last year when she fell while walking on one of the trails so both options are out of the question once snow and ice start... and seeing as we've had snow almost every day since Thanksgiving - yeah, outside is off limits until the big thaw...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would read a little on treadmilldoctor.com until you can tell what are the better brands and then look for a lightly used one on Craigslist. Or if it had to be new, I'd get whatever Costco was selling at the time. Or pick up the JumpSport rebounder on Costco.com. To me, it's a lot more fun, more portable, more versatile. Mine gets used more than my treadmill.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The higher models are much better if you're running. If you were just walking it would be ok to go cheap, but I hear that running is not for the cheap treadmills.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Be great to walk outside if we lived in an area that never had any weather issues at all!

Found this site with a search that might help:

http://www.treadmilladviser.com/treadmills-under-1000.html

Looks like the NordicTrack's and ProForm's seem to have the better ratings for the most part. Looks like there are lots of price points to choose from as well.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    this would actually be a good reason to go to planet fitness, or some other low cost gym.

for the 3 or 4 months that its super slick out that would be $10 a month.
    $10 x 4 = $40 per year if you don't need a year membership.

...every treadmill I have tried in a store that is under $1000 seems to only be built for walking, not running.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Skip the tread mill. Buy a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Pro-Traction-Cleats-Snow/dp/B001CZJBKC

Go outside. The grip you get on ice, with these on, is unbelievable.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would read a little on treadmilldoctor.com until you can tell what are the better brands and then look for a lightly used one on Craigslist. Or if it had to be new, I'd get whatever Costco was selling at the time. Or pick up the JumpSport rebounder on Costco.com. To me, it's a lot more fun, more portable, more versatile. Mine gets used more than my treadmill.

^^^^ THIS sounds like fun!!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

*this*
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    this would actually be a good reason to go to planet fitness, or some other low cost gym.

for the 3 or 4 months that its super slick out that would be $10 a month.
    $10 x 4 = $40 per year if you don't need a year membership.

...every treadmill I have tried in a store that is under $1000 seems to only be built for walking, not running.

This is what I did. WHile I would LOVE a treadmill, I run outside in the fall, spring, and summer, so I'd really only use a treadmill for a few months. Not worth spending a grand on something I'll barely use. I joined Planet Fitness for the winter, and I go every day after work. $10 a month AND my work reimburses me for it. Can't beat that! :)
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I guess this is one of the reasons our area is bad with. I don't know about her section of the area, but around my area, there are no real low cost gyms to join for a short term to cover bad weather. The lowest one I know of is $19 a month, and it would take 20 minutes to get there or even 30 in bad weather. Almost everyone else is $30+ a month, plus an extra fee if you only want a few months.
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would think about a local gym as well, it's a good time of year to get specials. I personally don't use a treadmill, I use the elliptical, stair climber and the air walker, the calorie burn for me is higher and I trade off so I don't do the same thing over and over. If you join a gym, try out the other equipment, you might like the results.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Horizon T101. It is between $600 & $700. I thought the reviews were pretty good for being a budget treadmill. One of my good friends has used hers almost daily for more than a year and has not complaints.
  • tallieterp
    Options
    I run outside in spring and fall but in summer with extreme humidity my asthma keeps me inside as well so two seasons a year I use my treadmill pretty steadily... the closest planet fitness is 20 minutes away without traffic and I train at my house with a friend who specializes in cross fit and therefor I've been slightly spoiled by being able to do everything at home with left over equipment I've picked up over the years... usually I run two miles and then immediately do a circut work out... I figure if I get a good treadmill that lasts me 5-6 years like this last one did it will pay for itself over time...

while i'm always open to looking into things that are alternatives like the rebounder (thank you for that suggestion) right now I really am just hoping someone will tell me what kind of treadmill they have and the quality of it :) thanks everyone!
  • tallieterp
    Options
    I recently got a Horizon T101. It is between $600 & $700. I thought the reviews were pretty good for being a budget treadmill. One of my good friends has used hers almost daily for more than a year and has not complaints.

This was one of my top options... had good reviews for a good price - thanks for the input!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other comments or suggestions, BUT I have spent the last couple of months looking for just that - a great treadmill under $1000. I have read hundreds of reviews. I narrowed my options down to the Proform 995c and the Smooth 5.65. Ultimately I chose the 995c because there are more workouts, the motor is bigger (the smooth has a great motor, but some reviews mention that the length of the belt may be too much for the motor over time). I have heard shady reviews on the Proform customer service, but those reviews are also out there from various people on most brands.

I haven't recieved my Proform 995c yet, but it's on it's way! Another point I liked was the option for the iFit. I have heard positive and negative reviews about it. But, I personally think it would be a nice "upgrade" option to have if I get bored with the other 30 workouts. Besides, if I wait a year or so to add the iFit chances are they will have the bugs worked out. GOOD LUCK!

OH! I bought mine from proform.com for $949 with the coupon code PFSAVE10 for 10% off. Free shipping, no tax. It was $854.10. I saw that a couple of months ago it was on Amazon for $799.00 - probably with free shipping.
  • tallieterp
    Options
    I haven't recieved my Proform 995c yet, but it's on it's way! Another point I liked was the option for the iFit. I have heard positive and negative reviews about it. But, I personally think it would be a nice "upgrade" option to have if I get bored with the other 30 workouts. Besides, if I wait a year or so to add the iFit chances are they will have the bugs worked out. GOOD LUCK!

OH! I bought mine from proform.com for $949 with the coupon code PFSAVE10 for 10% off. Free shipping, no tax. It was $854.10. I saw that a couple of months ago it was on Amazon for $799.00 - probably with free shipping.

yeah its 999.00 on amazon now and i have a prime membership so free shipping no matter what... I just have to wonder if the price will drop at all after the new year or if will spike since sales will probably increase... ugh decisions decisions!!! thanks for you input!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

yeah its 999.00 on amazon now and i have a prime membership so free shipping no matter what... I just have to wonder if the price will drop at all after the new year or if will spike since sales will probably increase... ugh decisions decisions!!! thanks for you input!

I wondered the same thing! I didn't want to risk it. I already got burned by "waiting for the price to drop" on other gifts this year.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I run outside in spring and fall but in summer with extreme humidity my asthma keeps me inside as well so two seasons a year I use my treadmill pretty steadily... the closest planet fitness is 20 minutes away without traffic and I train at my house with a friend who specializes in cross fit and therefor I've been slightly spoiled by being able to do everything at home with left over equipment I've picked up over the years... usually I run two miles and then immediately do a circut work out... I figure if I get a good treadmill that lasts me 5-6 years like this last one did it will pay for itself over time...

while i'm always open to looking into things that are alternatives like the rebounder (thank you for that suggestion) right now I really am just hoping someone will tell me what kind of treadmill they have and the quality of it :) thanks everyone!

I hear you on this. I have fibro and asthma so running in the cold isn't always an option and with the bitter temps, snow and ice these past two weeks, I can't even think about running out there. Forget the YakTrax - they are garbage. My friend just bought two pair and both broke before she could even get into a 3 mile run (she literally ran back to put on the second pair from her house). Just be careful about buying treads off craiglist - you can't guarantee the mileage on the belt and whether or not they have a warranty. A friend of mine who works for a fitness re-seller told me that what you want to spend the money on is a good frame and good motor. Make sure those are covered under a lifetime warranty. A friend bought the Proform 995 and got it for a steal. Although I have access to a work gym, there's no way I'm getting over here on the weekend to use it and like to workout before I get to work instead of having to lug clothes, makeup and other crap (I always change my mind after I pick something out to wear).
  • spappas1989
    spappas1989 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Horizon T101 Treadmill and will get it today. I test ran it at the store and really liked it, we'll see how it measures up in the coming months. I live in WI and running outside is not an option for myself personally. I know some people like running outside but it's just not for me!