Exercise while in shoulder rehab

Options
Hi all,

I had rotator cuff surgery about five weeks ago. It will be a while before I can do any real work with my upper body. In addition, I still can't really do anything too vigorous or that has much impact, since my shoulder is tender and still vulnerable if something happens. I can't really move my arm too much at this point at all.

I've been doing all right getting some calorie burn just using my aerobics step in front of the TV, with some kicks and leg raises in all directions added in. Recently I started also interspersing the step work with some crunches (though I have to be careful when lying down), some unweighted lunges, and high kicks for dynamic stretching.

Aside from the above and walking on weekends when it's not raining, I'm not sure what to do for exercise. I can't put a bar on my shoulders, can't do yoga, can't do burpees or kettlebell or rowing, all things I enjoy. I don't belong to a gym, and don't want to join one. I can't jog yet or even jump rope.

If anyone has any ideas for how I can add some variety to my workout during this time, I would appreciate it! Otherwise I'll just keep on with what I've been doing, since it's working so far.

Replies

• KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I injured my shoulder I had physical therapy forever. They started me off with different stretches then moved up to light weights and bands. Your surgeon isn't requiring you to do PT? It would help tremendously because you don't wanna reinjure your shoulder.
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OK, Janice...clearly you don't know what we do for a living. :)

You coulda just asked me! Lol

Jonathan...ya know the one who owns a chain of Physical Therapy Practices. Lol

;)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    When I had my shoulder injured (dislocated clavicle with torn ligaments) I would do lower body lifting like leg press, extensions, curls... really anything that was not weight bearing on the upper body. I would also spin on a recumbent bike.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Agree with the PT. Talk to your doctor first, because if you are not ready for PT, you could re-injure your shoulder. I injured my shoulder about 11 months ago, and it sucks not being able to move, but it gets better. My shoulder is almost 100% now, and i really appreciate being able to do simple things more than i was before.

I have noticed that it seems to heal faster when i make sure to have my greens every day.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I had rotator cuff surgery in both shoulder (open surgeries not arthroscopic), so I really feel for you and understand what you are going thru.

Just follow your doctors and PT instructions and workout the shoulder as they tell you to, no more, no less. I took me almost 5 months to get back to normal after one surgery and almost 18 months after the second one because I developed a frozen shoulder. Not fun!

I was only allowed to walk, but not in the treadmill, just in the streets or the walking track at the gym. The area was tender and painful and the most innocent exercises caused a lot of pain. I think that you are doing well but you should ask your PT what else you can do that will do no harm to the shoulder.

Eating below your TDEE (you are sedentary now), will help you with weight control, and walking is great. I used to seat in a chair and then get up using my abs, legs and glutes, several times, just to exercise the area, and do butt bridges, when the shoulder felt better and it could take a little more pressure

Have patience and let the shoulder heal properly, you can catch up with exercises later on. Good luck!
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I didn't think to mention -- yes, I am doing PT twice a week. I expect that will last several months. Right now I'm just doing stretches and starting a few isometrics.

Since I don't belong to a gym, lower body weightlifting isn't open to me. Although there's a gym nearby I may be able to use for free or close to it. Perhaps I'll do that. My concern is that just straining too much with my lower body may cause me to tense up around my shoulder, and that would hurt :-(. The recumbent bike is not a bad idea, but I think that's boring... maybe I'll do it just for variety.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do whatever leg exercises you can do without hurting as well as cardio and any one armed version of upper body lifts you can do without hurting (ie one armed rows, shoulder press, curls, etc). There's evidence that suggests this will help maintain strength in both sides of the body while injured.