help with cutting sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    By saying your sugar was high, do you mean compared to the number MFP gives you? That number is based on the recommended daily intake of added sugars, not total sugars. Because it would be difficult for the database to separate added sugars (especially since the nutritional labels list total sugar, not added vs. natural), that number generally looks high.

Barring a medical condition that requires you to watch your total sugar intake, I wouldn't be concerned about that number if you eat a generally balanced diet, hit all your macronutrient targets (protein, fat, carbs) and stay under your calories. The weight will eventually come off.

This^^.
    If the only reason you have for wanting to cut sugar is that you're not coming in under the absurd numbers that MFP sets, just ignore it. You can change what you track. Add something useful, like fiber (not sure if that's a default setting, b/c I've changed mine so many times) or trans fat. I'd say potassium, but most entries in the database don't include potassium (b/c package labels don't usually list it), so that will just get you worried that you're not getting enough potassium (which you likely aren't, b/c most people aren't), but it's not as bad as it will look from MFP database entries.

The good news, as others have said, is that you don't have to cut sugar to lose weight. I just checked under reports, and I've only come under the MFP sugar goal once. But somehow I've lost more than 30 pounds in 4 months.

(If you still want to cut sugar, here's what you can have for 25 grams of sugar and 1571 calories, from the one day I came in under my MFP sugar goal: a Marie Callender's bacon egg and cheese biscuit [1 gram sugar] and an ounce of orange juice [3 g sugar] diluted with seltzer for breakfast; 5.5 ounces of fresh tomato [4 g sugar] with a splash of white wine vinegar and salt, and 1.3 oz of Baja Fresh tortilla chips [I don't remember if that was eating leftover chips or my effort to log fresh salsa from the restaurant] for lunch; meatloaf with gravy [8 g sugar], red smashed potatoes [2 g sugar], and garlicky greens from Wegman's, with diet Coke, for dinner; and a quarter of a 1.55 oz Hershey's milk chocolate bar [6 g sugar] with 46 grams of Smucker's creamy natural peanut butter [a little less than 1.5 Tbsp, for 1 g sugar] for an evening snack.)

Edited to change "more than 30 lbs in 4 weeks" to "more than 30 lbs in 4 months." :laugh:
  • AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    a good rule for me is if it doesnt go bad in less than 2 weeks its prob not good for you

Love that rule!!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    That is the one thing I'm going over each day; sugar.

Looks like it will have to just continue to be that way as I'm not giving up my fruit. lol... well okay today I did have a chocolate chai tea latte starbucks... that sugar alone put me over my daily limit and I haven't even had my greek yogurt and banana for breakfast yet! LOL

Fruit is my only juice or sweet thing. I do not drink anything but bottled water, Perrier, and nonfat milk.

So I have decided to not look at that part, unless I sneak in a cookie here or there which I do not do too often. lol
  • maymekeagy
    maymekeagy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Words to live by. Great job.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar at all, lost 120 lbs this year since February plus 6 lbs on my new MFP profile in last 30 days.
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate pudding or a popsicle. Just a little sugar. Not many calories. I use to have a HUGE sweet tooth. I read about sugar being really bad for you so I cut way down. Now I don't even crave it at all.
  • mbennett2283
    Options
    It's not uncommon for me to be over by 5-10 the MFP-recommended sugar intake and I'm down by 14 pounds in a month and a half. If you're exercising with any length and frequency, you'll offset the sugar intake easily.