Healthy Pizza

Options
Ok, so I want to have a family movie night. We are going to have homemade pizza. What interesting, yummy things do you guys like to put on your healthy pizzas?

Replies

• bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    my mom makes the best homemade pizzas every sunday. I only get them when im home for the weekend ):

she has two various kinds but both use trader joes wheat pizza crust, really good.
    1) Ground turkey, onions(not a fan), avocado, olives, low fat cheese, and tomato sauce. there may be other stuff but i do not recall
    2)BBQ Chicken Pizza(FAV): bbq sauce, pan fryed chicken, onions, low fat cheese.
  • laurenpence
    Options
    low fat cheese, low fat ranch, chicken, tomatoes and green onions!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I make a couple: tomato, spinach, fresh garlic, a little feta, red onion with red pizza sauce.

One with a pesto sauce: spinach, pine nuts, artichoke hearts, a little feta, mushrooms

red sauce: fresh pineapple, a few olives, mozzerella
  • myricksmom
    myricksmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Use portabella mushrooms instead of a bread crust and you save a ton of calories and it tastes awesome!!
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms and some Turkey Rashers!! Yum Yum Yum
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Okay I know this is going to sound really weird, but I found a recipe for a chicken pizza that is low carb and low calories. so it's not really pizza, but I swear it tastes so good and it can really take away the craving for pizza.

You just pound a chicken thigh as flat and as thin as you can (until your hands are exhausted is what I do =]) and then put pizza sauce, cheese, onions, a small amount of peperoni or sausage, spinich, bell peppers, really anything you want to put on it.

It's not as fun as real pizza but it really is so good!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    You can make a nice thin crust pizza for each family member for only 260 calories and 13 grams of fat. That's per PIZZA!

I use a flat-out wrap. The best kind in my opinion is the light italian one. It tastes like pizza crust, and is only 90 calories. Then, I top with 1/4 cup of ragu pizza sauce, and then 1/2 cup of 2% milk shredded mozzarella cheese. Just place down the wrap, top, and bake for around 13 minute on 350. The crust doesn't get quite crispy, because I bake it all at once. I think there's another topic on MFP about making the flatouts more crispy. You bake just the wrap for a few minutes, and then top and bake some more.

Most pizzas from delivery restaurants are 260 calories or more, per slice! So, I think the flat out wrap is a really nice alternative. Tastes great! :) I've never actually topped it with anything else but cheese (and once I put some diced chicken on it) because... Well, I dunno Just it never comes to mind to get pizza toppings. Lol! But, if I could just remember to go the the grocery store, I'd put ham and pineapple on mine.

Anyways... You can use turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage, ham, chicken, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, pineapple chunks, bell peppers, olives, etc. Whatever you'd like. I think there's "reduced fat" versions of any meat/cheese out there!

TIp: Do NOT use fat free cheese. 1) It doesn't have a taste. 2) It will not, I repeat, it will NOT melt and 3) it's good to have some fat in your diet anyway, so just go light with the cheese if you must. :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The classic: Tomato, basil and low fat mozzarella!
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Use portabella mushrooms instead of a bread crust and you save a ton of calories and it tastes awesome!!
    I have tons of portabella mushrooms right now.
    Can you please give me the recipe?
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    I actually made little pizzas the other night and used the thin sandwich bread. On each half I put 1/8 cup of pizza sauce, 1/8 cup of 2% mozzerella cheese and 3 turkey pepperonis. I put them in my toaster oven for about 8 minues and they were great.
    Each half was 114 calories.