Made from Scratch or Quick and Easy

Options
Which do you prefer and why?

If you prefer quick and easy - why oh why do you not like it when people make things from scratch?

Life can be so busy but I still think it is better to make my own recipes than buy prepared foods with a bunch of who-knows-what in it. I really don't think it saves that much time or money and it certainly doesn't taste better.

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I love it when my partner makes stuff from scratch, but there are times that quick and easy works just as well too. It depends on whether or not it's a workday. Weekends, let's cook a little. Weekdays, forget it. Let's just make whatever's available. As long as I'm at my calorie and macro goal, don't care too much how I get there.
  • popflying
    Options
    I definitely prefer made from scratch, since I think it has better taste. For about two or three summers I would live on prepared frozen meals during my summer job, and I have come to hate them. I find most of them to be bland, and the ones I do like I would eat often enough to come to hate them. Now I've just switched to making more food for dinner and bringing in leftovers for lunch.

However I think there are quick and easy healthy things to eat too- I heat up frozen corn and peas all the time as a snack or meal replacement. I cut up vegetables and store them in the fridge for quick, easy access. Bananas and apples are also quick and easy foods for me.

But what I really like to do is to make large meals and freeze them in batches- so I get the made from scratch taste (and control over what I eat) while having quick and easy food. I do this with stuffed shells (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/stuffed-shells-i/) and soup wontons (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wonton-soup/). The way I make them they come out to 93 and 55 calories apiece respectively, which allows me to reheat the the amount that will fit under my calorie limits.

I am sure there are other things that would freeze very well but I do not have enough freezer space.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    scratch of course is preferred, but when you are working all day and you have 4hrs to spend with your family before bed time then there is nothing wrong with quick and easy.

Quick and easy for me can be using canned spaghetti sauce instead of making my own or using a pasta mix and browning some chicken.

Most of it is dependent on time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like quick and easy and made from scratch, lol. So we often have frozen veggies and a protein. I don't make pasta, bread, tomato sauce, salsa, tortillas etc though.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Both - it generally takes me about 20 minutes to make a meal from scratch depending on what it is.

Of course it's longer if it's a roast - but then I go and do something else while it is cooking so it still fits into my idea of easy.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options

If you prefer quick and easy - why oh why do you not like it when people make things from scratch?

Life can be so busy but I still think it is better to make my own recipes than buy prepared foods with a bunch of who-knows-what in it. I really don't think it saves that much time or money and it certainly doesn't taste better.

tumblr_mwbla4pjWG1re9gg7o1_250.jpg

It boggles my mind that people still see this as a positive motivational statement - This meme is a prime example of both slut shaming and classism, all rolled into one harmful little bundle.

1. There’s nothing wrong with being fast. Sprinters are fast, race car drivers are fast, cheetahs are fast. And all of these things are awesome. By turning this into a thinly veiled criticism of how long people wait before choosing to consensually have sex with each other, you are slut shaming and passing judgments that you have absolutely no right to make. What goes on behind another person’s closed doors is none of your business.

2. There’s nothing wrong with being cheap. Not all of us can afford to spend vast sums of money on food or personal belongings. Many people live below the poverty line and they survive as best they can. And again: By making the implication that a person is a “cheap” date and has sex with someone before lots of money has been spent on them, you’re slut shaming. This is a highly misogynistic view, especially considering how the media often negatively frames women as gold diggers. If we aren’t cheap, we’re apparently greedy. It’s a catch-22 that we can’t escape from.

3. There’s nothing wrong with being easy. Life is not better just because you feel that you’re working harder than everyone else. Sometimes we are experiencing so many hardships that a little bit of easiness is going to be a blessing. Whether this is a frozen prepared meal that we can microwave or whether this is a booty call from someone that we know and trust: Don’t knock the easy things that you can enjoy.

4. There’s nothing wrong with being fake, especially if it is for your own self-preservation. You are under no obligation to always reveal your innermost thoughts, feelings and expectations with the world. If you have to hide elements of yourself in order to feel comfortable? Do it. If you have to put on a brave face and play pretend so that you can get through the day? Do it. Because no matter what, you are always representing yourself in the manner that you want to be.

If someone doesn’t have enough time to prepare a full meal, then there is nothing wrong with them grabbing food that can be consumed quickly. If someone can’t afford high grocery prices, there is nothing wrong with eating within their budget. If someone doesn’t have the time, patience or sheer arrogance to make meals difficult simply for the sake of giving themselves more trouble, then they deserve an easy meal. And if someone has no interest in eating what you consider to be “real” food, then they have the right to define what’s “real” enough for them to consume.

Butt out of other people’s diets and butt out of their lives. This meme isn’t funny and it never was.

http://the-exercist.tumblr.com/
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying BOTH!! Steamed frozen veggies with a little butter/oil and salt is super easy and yummy. Get a microwave-safe mug, put ingredients for bean soup into it (frozen veggies, beans, broth, spices, water) and microwave for 5 min and you got soup! Pasta takes like 10 min. Wraps or salads take like 2 min. When I really get fancy I'll take 20 min to make lentils or brown rice.

Just because you're not going all out to cook an extravagant meal that takes hours doesn't mean you're eating processed crap!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I agree with the both crowd. I love food prepared from scratch, and I generally make enough that I can bring it for lunch/have for dinner on subsequent days, so it is both from scratch and quick and easy.

And there are some prepared foods (like Amy's Organic) that are quick and easy and not full of "who knows what" that I keep around for days when I really don't have time to cook, or have run out of leftovers.

My wife and I do, however, make probably 75% - 80% of our food from scratch.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Weekends: from scratch

Weeknights: quick and easy
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    When patience serves, it's made from scratch.
    Otherwise, grabbing what's available is also enjoyable.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    My quick and easy is always from scratch, true story.
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Made from scratch...always the best!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I prefer made from scratch (which can often also be quick and easy). I like cooking and I like knowing what's in my food. Also, I like to be able to pronounce ingredients that I'm about to ingest.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Preferably both! I am focused on using real/natural ingredients when I cook, as much as possible. At the same time, I'm not up for cooking a dinner that would take me hours to complete. I think it's possible to strike a nice balance of the two!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I do quick and easy if I am comfortable with the ingredients.

I'm not making pasta from scratch, just too easy to get good quality pasta from the store!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

oh, i thought you were asking, but it looks like you're more interested in judging.

carry on then
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ya I do quick and easy but I make it all from scratch taking a half hour in the kitchen isn't a long time in the long run.....
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    why oh why do you not like it when people make things from scratch?

I don't think someone who doesn't cook their own food from scratch dislikes foods prepared in this manner, they just don't do it themselves for various reasons...

If someone else makes it, then it's "quick and easy" to me, even if it took three days to prepare.

Edit: Now I am picturing someone sitting over a plate grumbling "Stupid jerk... spent 12 hours preparing this perfectly smoked brisket with homemade coleslaw, cornbread, and collard greens and then has the audacity to serve it to ME? When they KNOW I only cook Swanson's for dinner! The NERVE of some people!"
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. Preferring "quick and easy" is not always about not liking scratch-made things. You'll notice a lot of people here have said time is a big factor. Knowledge and interest are also big factors.

I like to cook. I love to bake. I am all about going the extra mile in the kitchen, especially because I like to be creative and put my own spin on things. But not everyone feels that way, and that's okay. I don't make my own clothes or my own furniture. I don't make toys for my nieces and nephew. Am I wrong for going the "quick and easy" route on those things? No. I don't know how to do those things, and I don't really have the time or the inclination to learn. Now, if someone asks where I got my dress and I pretend to have made it myself, then okay, you can call me a horrible person.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I prefer scratch, because just mixing and baking takes all the fun out!