alcohol and weight loss. grr.

Options
I am 22 and when my friends get together, most of the time we drink and its a couple times a week. I've been logging (on and off) for about 20 days and exercising regularly and have noticed I've dropped an inch or two here and there. Most of the time when I drink, I ration my calories out so i can get a good buzz, but I don't go over my calorie limit. Also, I drink mostly wine now, hardly ever beer which was my norm. I have hardly lost any weight, but like I said, I've lost some girth. Is it the alcohol that's hindering my weight loss or is it just my building muscle that's making it seem like I'm not losing? Thanks for the input!

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am 22 and when my friends get together, most of the time we drink and its a couple times a week. I've been logging (on and off) for about 20 days and exercising regularly and have noticed I've dropped an inch or two here and there. Most of the time when I drink, I ration my calories out so i can get a good buzz, but I don't go over my calorie limit. Also, I drink mostly wine now, hardly ever beer which was my norm. I have hardly lost any weight, but like I said, I've lost some girth. Is it the alcohol that's hindering my weight loss or is it just my building muscle that's making it seem like I'm not losing? Thanks for the input!

A calorie surplus hinders weight loss and I doubt you are building muscle.
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's the alcohol. Even though I see a significant difference in my waistline after not drinking for about 4 days, I always start again anyways. I guess I haven't gotten to the point where I want to give it up completely. I know that's what I have to do to get the figure I want though. And one glass of wine or beer doesn't do it for me. I've built up such a high tolerance that to even get a relaxed, fuzzy feeling I have to have at least a few glasses of wine. And it's hard to "just figure it in your calories" and still eat normally.
  • catestevam
    catestevam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Social situations can be tough as far as drinking is concerned. If you're trying to get the best bang for your buck, have you considered doing diet soda/liquor drinks. My favorite is gin and diet tonic with a lime, or diet sprite/ grape vodka (scary good). If your looking for a buzz without the calorie price, that's definitely the way to go.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    http://www.caloriesecrets.net/low-calorie-alcoholic-drinks-drink-wisely-without-gaining-weight/

Unlike the other nutrients, protein, carbohydrate and fat, our body cannot store alcohol. Hence removing it from the body takes preference over normal functions. This can result to an interruption of the fat burning process, giving extra potential for weight gain
  • ileitch
    Options
    Yup. Alcohol is not helpful, and it's hard to give it up.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A calorie surplus hinders weight loss and I doubt you are building muscle.
    I agree. You might be losing water causing inch loss. That won't last.

If you feel like it's the alcohol, you might be undercounting the calories or it might be causing some upset to your system that makes you bloated. It does that to me. But if that was your issue, you wouldn't be seeing inch loss.

Do you eat after drinking and forget to log?
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been continuing to drink quite a bit regularly with my friends and I'm losing. I exercise like crazy on days I'm going out and then take the booze out of my exercise calories. And then when I run out of calories I stop. Most of the time ;)

It's completely doable! You just need to build space for it by exercising madly!

"Will hoop for wine" ... or beer.

ETA: I think the key to this might actually be that you are logging "on and off". I bet you eat and drink more when you're not logging, and that will be what's stopping you from losing ...
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is cutting my drinking down to once a week. That way I can workout more and eat less during the week and then have a good time with friends and still eat relatively normally that day. I'm the kind of person that can drink a bottle of wine no problem so it's something I've been forced to plan for.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Alcohol sucks. Just break up.
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Good for you for recognizing that it "might" be a problem. Like you, I am part of a social circle of friends that get together and drink numerous times a week. As many indicate here, you may be not be losing weight in part due to your alcohol comsumption, but in my experience there is always a lot of factors at play. As one person mentioned, your body cannot burn fat when you are drinking because it is working hard to rid itself of the alcohol. what does this mean in real life - try not to eat/drink at the same time...because essentially whatever you eat will be retained as fat. I know that the "right" answer is abstain, don't drink and yes it's the reason, but as someone who lost 60 lbs at age 27 (last year) while still drinkiing here are some "tricks" I used so that I didn't lose that social connection.

1) like you, I swtiched from a carb heavy beverage of choice to wine on occasion, but mostly vodka (flavoured) and soda or diet pop.
    2) Refused to eat and drink at the same time. One or the other
    3) tried to make drinking nights active - i.e. dancing at a club or a friend's place for fun instead of pub/restaurant sitting
    4) went period of time "off the scene" In my case it was more extreme like I went a month at one time, and then some two week stints, but I think just like taking a week off here or there makes a difference
    5) low cal the day of drinking..essentially saving cals for the night

For what it's worth, your friends will still be there drinking when you're done what you need to do, so I do recommend you abstain for periods of time; maybe hang out and just drink a diet soda or something 1 out of the few nights, etc.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yup. Alcohol is *extremely* helpful, and it's *unthinkable* to give it up.
    Fixed. :drinker:
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Anytime I want to get serious about losing the weight; it all begins with giving up the alcohol completely! I really believe that by cutting it out completely, that's the only way I am going to finally get to my goal. :)

Best of luck to you, it is very hard to quick drinking ... I have tried and failed many times. But I am finally on track and I have it down to one drink, once a week. :)

you can do it.
  • crispy420
    crispy420 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I kinda knew alcohol on the reg and weight loss is not conducive, I guess i just needed to hear it from experienced weight-losers. If I'm drinking, I usually don't eat. I am definitely a drunkmuncher, so abstaining from food is a top priority if I'm drinking. At worst, I just bash of veg and salsa. The once a week idea is probably my best bet and that way, I don't feel deprived. And yeahhh, probably should up my exercise. meh. Wish this whole not being a chunk thing was easier. Anyway, thanks again!
  • yvette303
    yvette303 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Alcorexia! Saving the calories from food so that you can drink more :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Helpful?

I'd rather heal my brain cells instead of kill them. :smokin:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I kinda knew alcohol on the reg and weight loss is not conducive, I guess i just needed to hear it from experienced weight-losers. If I'm drinking, I usually don't eat. I am definitely a drunkmuncher, so abstaining from food is a top priority if I'm drinking. At worst, I just bash of veg and salsa. The once a week idea is probably my best bet and that way, I don't feel deprived. And yeahhh, probably should up my exercise. meh. Wish this whole not being a chunk thing was easier. Anyway, thanks again!

Everything in moderation. As long as it fits your macros, enjoy your wine.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Helpful?

I'd rather heal my brain cells instead of kill them. :smokin:

Well you certainly aren't helping them with smoking.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I usually have a pre-dinner cocktail around 6:30 or 7 pm, and often a glass or two of wine with dinner at 8. On weekends I might have a digestif or a nightcap. I've lost 46 lbs. in the last 11 months. It can be done.

If you do drink while losing weight, you need to log the calories accurately, just like everything else. That means careful measuring, and ensuring that you use accurate data. A lot of alcoholic drinks in MFP's database have laughably inaccurate data (like 80 calories for a 5-oz. glass of wine! It should be 125-130).

If you're going to have more than one drink, you might also need to work harder to resist the urge to snack.