Semi-good sugary snack item!

Options
Check out the "Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers" only 120 calories for 8 of them!

Replies

• Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    not really good at all. refined sugar, high fructose syrup, and sugar is second ingredient....

Ingredients: UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SOYBEAN OIL, WHEY (FROM MILK), PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, EMULSIFIERS (VEGETABLE MONOGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, DATEM), LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, VANILLA EXTRACT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK, SOY.
  • rokikio
    Options
    Since we are on this subject and I am just starting to learn how to eat healthier.....does anyone have any healthy suggestions for sweet snack??

I've had Skinny Cow Ice Screams and Jello Sugar Free snacks. I've heard of Vitatops.....has anyone tried those and are they good?
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love Vitatops but not really keen on the chocolate ones. I like the corn and the cranbran. People who love chocolate love them though.

Oh - and thanks for the heads up on the Nilla Wafers. In moderation - even sugar is OK for most of us counting calories!
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    I like the fiber granola bars, kinda high cal, 150, but they are filling and healthy too, just gotta watch the sugar, dont overdue it..anything is good in moderation, i will sometimes have a mini (really mini) piece of candy if im craving my choc, but it takes time to learn to handle your cravings, i still have trouble
  • joleanrook
    Options
    LOVE VITA TOPS.... not really a "chocolate person" but the Deep Chocolate Vita top is the bomb.com!!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit can be good if you are craving something sweet (though try finding ones without added sugar and crap!) - the dehydration condenses the natural sugars so they seem far sweeter than their standard fruit counterparts. (Though they can be high in calories if you eat them with abandon!)
  • blel0906
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth so I'm working on my arsonal...so far

Granola thins-granola wafer with dark choclate 80 cals for 1
    Apple dippers (not sure of the official name) I get the pre made packs at the store apple slices/carmel dip 80 cals
    Sara Lee cheese cake bites 20 cals a bite
    mini marshmellows
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Kashi Chewy bars....They have no high fructose corn syrup in them..... I eat the trail mix when I want something sweet & chewy.
    They are 140 calories.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate (made with skim milk) -- 120 calories (mostly from the milk), 21 carbs, 8 protein, 0 fat. I suppose you could make with Splenda for even less calories, but I would rather eat sugar in moderation than add to the Splenda I'm drinking right now (oops, forgot to post the recipe!) http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/homemade-hot-chocolate

Applies with low fat caramel dip

Cinnamon apples -- Take an apple, slice/core it, sprinkle about 1/2 TBSP of brown sugar and cinnamon to taste on top... bake in toaster oven until soft. YUM!

Dark chocolate (a little bit!)

Mini bags of Kettle Corn
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do my own dried fruit, much better. best christmas gift i've ever recieved.
    Dried fruit can be good if you are craving something sweet (though try finding ones without added sugar and crap!) - the dehydration condenses the natural sugars so they seem far sweeter than their standard fruit counterparts. (Though they can be high in calories if you eat them with abandon!)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    chocolate rice cakes with lite whipped topping can mix cocoa in the whipped topping also the cinnamon apple rice cakes great receipes on the bag
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Vitatops (I find they taste best when thawed in the fridge as opposed to the countertop), vanilla almond milk tastes like a milkshake,
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do my own dried fruit, much better. best christmas gift i've ever recieved.

How do you do that?
  • hunterr
    hunterr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Irene's biscotti from Whole foods has just 20 calories a cookie. Some little merengue cookies have just 5 calories each. Stouffers animal crackers are about 7 calories each.

Apple slices warmed to room temperature and sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon. Or dipped in diet pancake syrup.

Strawberries dipped in warm diet chocolate pudding.

Oatmeal prepared with baking cocoa added to it. I like mine REALLY dark, so add a 1/2 tablespoon per 1/4 cup dry oats. Needs lots of splenda though. You can get fancy and add coconut and almonds, or red food coloring, or coffee, or peanuts to mimic some of your favorite chocolate desserts.

Chai tea lattes. Bring 1 and 1/2 cups water to a boil. Let a chai tea bag steep for about 8 minutes. Dissolve 1/2 tablespoon Jello brand vanilla pudding (not instant) in 1/2 cup skim milk. Pour a little tea into the pudding mixture. Add pudding mixture to the rest of the tea. Bring to a boil, and boil for one minute. 65 calories of amazing, thick, spicy goodness. Some fruity herbal teas can be substituted for chai tea. Orange spice is really nice.

Tiramisu. Dissolve enough instant coffee for a 6 oz serving in 1/4 cup boiling water. Add 1 and 3/4 cups skim milk to the coffee and a splash of rum. Prepare cheese cake instant pudding with it. Sprinkle with baking cocoa.

Whip some strawberry jello with a fork. Add a small amount of chopped banana.
  • kayb58
    kayb58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Check out Hungrygirl.com for lots of good ideas. She also has a few cookbooks that you can check out at your local library.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I LOVE VITATOPS. Yesterday morning I toasted a chocolate vitatop and put Bettern' Butter (peanut butter) on top. It had more nutrition that my usual Arnold Whole Wheat Flat.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Raspberries and blueberries with no fat greek yogurt and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Apple and almond butter. Banana and almond butter. And occasionally some dark chocolate.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Healthy Banana or Banana chocolate chip Ice cream.
    I take the skin off bananas, break them into chunks and freeze on a flat tray in the freezer ( then after frozen, and not stuck together: you can put all together in Tupperware box back in Freezer).
    I grab about a banana handful of chunks, put in blender with 1 cup skimmed milk, splash of vanilla and blend. It makes great thick healthy ice-cream enough for two people( 1 1/2 cup each) or 3 people (1 cup each). So it is pretty low on cals.
    If I feel cheeky, I blend in at the very end some peices of good dark chocolate. It makes chocolate chip ice cream then.

Raspberry Sorbet

Freeze rasberries individually on tray like above.
    Put handful in blender with some water, splash vanilla and some agave ( sweaten to taste) + you get great thick raspberry sorbet
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Since we are on this subject and I am just starting to learn how to eat healthier.....does anyone have any healthy suggestions for sweet snack??

I've had Skinny Cow Ice Screams and Jello Sugar Free snacks. I've heard of Vitatops.....has anyone tried those and are they good?

apples are a good, sweet snack!
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    Its not just the calories you have to look for, its whats in those "low fat "no sugar" treats.