my youthful looks, a hindrance at work

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
I'm not young but I look real young. I have really nice skin and no wrinkles. Additionally, I stay fit. I work with people in their 50s. I started in my field at age 18 so have about 20 year experience. But my youthful looks are a hindrance and people think I'm only a few years out of college. I'm doing well but I'm very competitive. I think of I were fat, maybe I'd look older.

even my boss didn't know how old I was until I told her. HR did a great job of keeping things confidential.

Replies

• tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Try doing crack and meth. It worked for Lindsay Lohan.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Never complain about looking younger. And if you have 20 years of experience, even looking 10 years younger isn't going to be much of a hinderance at this point. Stay youthful, for as long as you can.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    just imagine when it gets to the point looking old will be a hindrance to your job among your peers you wont be there yet
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Did you consider smoking?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    we should clap for you.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    even my boss didn't know how old I was until I told her.

My condolences.
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Options
    I totally get that. I'm 35 and most people think I'm about 23. It really is frustrating that people seem to think this is my first job and that I have no life/work experience.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I sound like I'm 12. Try having people calling you "honey" and "young lady" all day on the phone. Let's take up smoking together! It'll wrinkle up your skin, and maybe I'll get a deeper voice. :drinker:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Get yuns a German dueling scar (Renommierschmiss). No one will ever question you again.

mb22_06.JPG
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I sound like I'm 12. Try having people calling you "honey" and "young lady" all day on the phone. Let's take up smoking together! It'll wrinkle up your skin, and maybe I'll get a deeper voice. :drinker:

Tempting offer
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: You are hilarious "Honey"
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    i used to look young. Then I got old. :huh:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: You are hilarious "Honey"

:tongue: :smooched:
  • bnsnwldwmn
    Options
    It could be worse. You could be a teacher regularly mistaken for a student.

At your own school.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Eh you might look older if you were fat. But you might look younger. It's not like you're planning to gain tons of weight to try and look old, I hope! LOL

I think I look older after my loss of 101 lb so far. I have a leaner face and the beginnings of a turkey neck. I'm ok with that...but I think I looked 20-something when I was heavier. My face was very full and no wrinkles showed at all. Being totally honest I think that before I looked like a very out of shape, lumpy & careless 29 yr old and now I look like a tall 37 yr old (my actual age) who is pretty active.

But I also think that I can appear younger at times, especially with the clothes I wear which are a more youthful style and slightly more figure conscious. I was a lot frumpier with the weight on...wore a ton of cardigans and long skirts...which look crappy on me now, while skinny jeans & knee length dresses and button-downs are cute all of a sudden! Due to being better able to move around, navigate small areas, and having more speed, I seem younger...I've always had high energy but I am more balanced and agile than previously.

As for not being taken seriously in the workplace...I can relate to that! I have been in the workforce for 21 yrs, since age 16. A lot of people assume I am fresh out of college, even if they know my age. I work with a lot of guys my age who think of me like a little sister and tell me so, and an older couple who occasionally slip up and refer to me as a girl or even "kid"!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It could be worse. You could be a teacher regularly mistaken for a student.

At your own school.

lol.

That's happened to my wife a few times lately. "Oh what's your next class?"

Genetics.

"What program are you in?"

I'm teaching it.

"Oh, uh..."
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Prove it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty