Shooting to lose 80lbs by April 21st! Who's with me?

Options

Replies

• tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've lost 47 in 8 mos. 80 is far to aggressive, IMO.

Good luck with that!
  • nrjackson84
    nrjackson84 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of weight within a short amount of time. I am shooting for 25 lbs by that time. I have about 50 lbs yet to lose before goal weight, which I expect to hit by September. I understand wanting to lose weight quickly but it just isn't healthy. Shoot for a 1-2 lb weight loss a week. It has taken me almost 2 years to lose 65, but there were many set backs along the way.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Why not start today? 80lbs seems like a lot by April, ~2lbs/wk seems more realistic.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    OUT

I worked way too hard for this muscle mass to lose it due to impatience. No, thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You will be lucky if you even lose half of that.

It has taken me almost 2 years to lose 100 pounds.

Slow and steady is the healthy way to go, especially if you want to keep it off!!!

Good luck, your going to need it. :flowerforyou:
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. This is not "The Biggest Loser" tv program and I'm not able to workout 3 times a day under the auspice of a personal trainer, dietitian & physician. A more realistic goal would be 2 lbs. a week for 16 weeks, or 32 lbs. I don't mean to sound condescending, but what you're planning is not healthy.

Exactly with out some type of professional monitoring them its not going to work out in the long run....its not about short term diets its about long term healthy goals. Granted the heavier the person is at first the weight will come off easily but its usually water weight also and more then likely they will have stalls aka plateaus and then once they stop it all come back on

Please listen to everyone on these boards. To get to where you want to be will likely 8-12 months (at a minimum) if you're extremely diligent and don't want to rick both short term failure and long term damage to your body. Since you're only 18 y.o., you'll likely still have 60+ years to enjoy the new lifestyle and smaller you even if it does take a year.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ah the supreme confidence of youth, I want to lose 80lbs by April therefore I will. Good luck. I prefer the knowledge that comes with age. I have lost over 100lbs, and gone from severely obese to "normal" BMI but it took me over a year.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. In the beginning, with 80 lbs to lose, you can expect to lose more. 2 lbs per week or even a little more wouldn't be out of the question. But as you get closer to your goal weight your body won't be able to shed fat as quickly. If you try to force it by eating at a very large deficit you'll end up losing muscle. You want to keep your muscle, that's what makes you look good naked once you're at your goal weight.

Instead of setting yourself an arbitrary and unrealistic time frame, just set MFP to lose 2 lbs per week, log accurately and hit your calorie goal, get some exercise and be patient.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Why are you putting a date to lose it by? It's taken me a year to lose 90 lbs.

Log your food
    Set mini goals
    Be realistic
    Be patient
    Don't deprive yourself
    Prepare yourself with a healthy lifestyle rather then a quick diet plan, you will be more likely to keep the weight off rather then pushing yourself to lose it quickly then go back to what caused you to put on the 80lbs in the first place.

Good luck in sticking with a plan that is going to be really restrictive to lose that much that quickly.

Exactly all this ^^

As someone who has previously lost 86lbs within the timeframe you're looking at I will strongly suggest you reconsider it. You're setting yourself up for failure; you'll end up gaining it all back and likely more.

Also in order for me to lose that kind of weight in about 5-ish months, I ate anywhere from 300-800 calories a day, lost a lot of hair, got really dizzy, had a hard time focusing and thinking clearly, fainted a couple of times, my weight fluctuated like crazy anytime I ate 'normal' amounts and I had a LOT of plateaus. Oh and I went through all that only to gain it all back within a year.

You could very easily lose 80lbs in 4 months if you had hundreds of lbs to lose however you ONLY have 80 according to your ticker. The last 20 alone could take 4 months or more.

Slow it down and you'll see results that will last.

Thank you for sharing this hopefully she read this :) ....I only have 40 lbs on my ticker but I really need to loose around 60 for my height but my first goal is 40 to achieve the healthy way
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Go for half that....I'm not up for losing lean muscle
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    This seems a tad bit aggressive. Maybe more than a tad. A lot more. Why are you looking to do this so quickly - this would not be a healthy or sustainable approach.

Take a look at this helpful, informative post as a way to get your thoughts on this in a better place.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to lose 80lbs by April. Set realistic goals and set it at 2lbs a week.

I have maintained for almost a year (it will be a year next month) with the fluctuation of one or 2lbs, and am hoping that I can go back to losing, but I want to keep my muscle, not lose it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for arbitrary pounds lost by an arbitrary deadline.

Unless you have a photoshoot that can't be rescheduled and on which your livelihood depends or if you have a wedding and the invitations have already been sent, these self-imposed unrealistic deadlines are not helpful...and even if you do manage to reach your goal in record time, then what? The means by which you could reach this are likely unsustainable...and then you find yourself right back where you started with another overly ambitious goal next year.

End the cycle. As others have said, set a realistic goal (like 2 lb/week) and work within that context. Sure, it isn't as flashy or exciting...but it's doable and will still bring you to your goal over time.

Good luck.
  • klong123
    klong123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Good luck on meeting your goal! I lost 80#'s in about 10 months. I did use MFP to help me track. I gained about 14# back and now I'm losing again! I got a handle on mine before it got out-of-control!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm also tragetting 15 lbs /month,

I was looking at your diary and may I ask do you really eat like the way you do? Im not trying to be mean or anything but it seems to be very generic. Which is good for a diet but do you plan on eating like that for the rest of your life?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    why not start today? why tomorrow? why wait?

because the less time she has to (try to) lose 80#, the more exciting!

annasophia-excited.gif
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Why does OP look strangely familiar....
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Hello (: As you have probably read, I'm trying to lose 80 lbs by April 21st, I begin the diet tomorrow, December 18th.
    I just joined MFP and I'm hoping to make friends to help me stay on track (:
    Feel free to add your diet goals below and add me as a friend (:
    Even better if we have similar stats or if you log in daily (:
    Thanks!

it's not really likely. the math doesn't work in your favor. you'd have to eat so few calories (to the point where you'll cause yourself health problems and be absolutely miserable for 4 months) and find the time and motivation to add huge calorie burns in order to have an average daily deficit of ~2350 calories. that's a lot of hours of exercise per day.

you'll also relax when you're done and likely put all the weight back on. not to mention the amount of muscle mass you'll lose in the process.

listen to the forums. take our advice. enthusiasm is good, but set realistic and sustainable expectations. you'll thank us when you do finally lose those 80lbs and you'll thank us again 6 months later when you are maintaining that loss.