Any prediabetics/diabetics out there??

Options
2»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My a1c was 5.9 in March when I first joined MFP. Your doctor is right to alarm you- there could be other symptoms that you would never expect. My opthamologist found an aneurism in my eye caused by elevated blood sugars. Fortunately its gone now, but it took a few months of following an anti-inflammatory diet/lifestyle to get my eyes clear again: Eating lots of fiber, vegetables and fish high in omega-3 (just say no to tilapia!), exercising every day (30 minutes of rigorous activity- mainly walking and swimming), and the help of a few supplements (cinnamon, tumeric and cod liver oil are my goto favorites)

I just retested a day ago, but I do not have the results back yet to confirm what I can feel - I am back in the healthy range. What I know now is that the changes that I have made are for life. Diabetes is a cruel disease, avoid it at all cost!

Agreed. :ohwell:

Since you brought up supplements, here's my take on them....try them out and if they work, BONUS and if not, keep at it.

I've tried a bunch of them but only a few work for me but surprisingly, they began working immediately. Not sure what that says about my diabetes, but at 44, soon to be 45 in a couple of days, I don't much care :laugh:

Again, do your research to find adverse effects, (and do not ignore them if they come up) talk to your doctor and try them out one at a time once you get a predictable baseline.

This being said, Chromium GTF, Biotin and Rx from the doctor for Vit D is what I take. I've tried AlphaBetic, & it just wasn't as effective. I used to also use Glycosolve but I found it had increased my resting heart rate to the tune of an additional 20 beats per minute :sick: I used it for about 6 weeks before realizing it and discontinuing.

As I tried different supplements (there are 3 marginally different chromiums for instance) I monitored my blood pressure with a regular battery powered automatic unit purchased at a drug store.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Something else to note...as jbean3 mentioned, though her A1c was in the 5% range, she still suffered a complication related to her D. Some may find that the numbers and parameters recommended in the current information that's out there may directly contradict what their doctor says is normal or what their doctors are happy with.

It's important to note there are numbers that are normal (for people without *any* metabolic issues) and there are 'good' numbers for diabetics.

The difference can be stark.

Some doctors will tell you anything below 180mg/dl is great for a diabetic. Don't believe them, find a new doctor and aim for lower.

If you are a T2D on insulin, this can be a little tricky for a number of reasons and of course, the parameters for T1D are different for a variety of reasons that I won't get into right now, but it's important to note.

These books helped me figure things out & I tweaked a few things to meet my own needs...

Richard K. Bernstein's: Diabetes Solution

Blood Sugar 101: what they don't tell you about Diabetes, Jenny Rhul

Protein Power (by Drs. Michael & Mary Dan Eades) a classic but definitely worth it

All 3 of these books are available on Amazon, I bought the kindle versions for my tablet, it was cheaper and I was able to begin my research immediately.

Also, you might find this video interesting...I sure did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just found out I am prediabetic. We do biometric screenings now at work, and the first year I participated my non-fasting results showed prediabetes and borderline high triglycerides. I thought it must be some mistake, so I the next year I decided to do it fasting. Again, my results came back in the prediabetic range. I was shocked because I thought I was following a relatively healthy diet and exercising when I found time. Plus, my weight is in the normal range, so I really thought I was okay. This is such a wake-up call for me. I want to make sure I stop this before it becomes full-blown diabetes. Is there anything I can do? What sort of things should I be eating? I am so confused.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Your doctor wants you to get into a healthy range and STAY there.

Even that doesn't guarantee you won't become diabetic. You could have a family history.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I'm glad you're looking for ways to improve your health! Does your workplace offer any information or perhaps even classes that might be helpful? Definitely talk with your doctor, and find out if there are classes for people with pre-diabetes in your area. There's a national movement to offer pre-diabetes classes and group support, and many YMCAs, workplaces, and hospitals are offering programs. There is also good information here: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/prediabetes_ES/ ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    I'm glad you're looking for ways to improve your health! Does your workplace offer any information or perhaps even classes that might be helpful? Definitely talk with your doctor, and find out if there are classes for people with pre-diabetes in your area. There's a national movement to offer pre-diabetes classes and group support, and many YMCAs, workplaces, and hospitals are offering programs. There is also good information here: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/prediabetes_ES/ ~Lynn /Glucerna

Some health insurance plans play for the Y's program. Otherwise, it's several hundred dollars in our area.
  • 199WillDo
    199WillDo Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    UGH!!! I'm so frustrated! I'm trying to get my A1C down to normal range (its 5.8 right now) and I need help on how much sugar/carbs i'm suppose to be having per day. I just checked my fasting sugar number and it was 87! I want to get it down to atleast in the early 80's..need help :mad: :frown: I don't want to take medication so i'm trying to do the best I can b/f I have to take that route..

An A1c of 5.8 is Awesome. Normal blood sugar range is 80-110. So you are on the right track. I only wish my numbers looked so good.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was, but am no longer.

My blood work showed I was becoming pre-diabetic just as i started my weight and diet controls.

While weight only required me to monitor net calories (eaten minus burned), I also wanted to improve the quality of the food I eat. Both efforts are in pursuit of less medical expense in retirement, and maybe a little longer life span.

Weight and diet control did the trick. I should exercise too, as that would help even more.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Something else to note...as jbean3 mentioned, though her A1c was in the 5% range, she still suffered a complication related to her D. Some may find that the numbers and parameters recommended in the current information that's out there may directly contradict what their doctor says is normal or what their doctors are happy with.

It's important to note there are numbers that are normal (for people without *any* metabolic issues) and there are 'good' numbers for diabetics.

The difference can be stark.

Some doctors will tell you anything below 180mg/dl is great for a diabetic. Don't believe them, find a new doctor and aim for lower.

If you are a T2D on insulin, this can be a little tricky for a number of reasons and of course, the parameters for T1D are different for a variety of reasons that I won't get into right now, but it's important to note.

These books helped me figure things out & I tweaked a few things to meet my own needs...

Richard K. Bernstein's: Diabetes Solution

Blood Sugar 101: what they don't tell you about Diabetes, Jenny Rhul

Protein Power (by Drs. Michael & Mary Dan Eades) a classic but definitely worth it

All 3 of these books are available on Amazon, I bought the kindle versions for my tablet, it was cheaper and I was able to begin my research immediately.

Also, you might find this video interesting...I sure did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

This thread is a wealth of knowledge and the TED video you have listed, moved me deeply the first time I watched it as it did again today!! A doctor I work with was always harassing his diabetic patients, to the point of being rude. Well as fate would have it, he developed type 2 diabetes. I must say I he got much more sympathetic and gave out helpful information after his diagnosis! He also stopped blaming patients and tried to help them find ways to improve their glucose levels and overall health!!

I am type 2, most likely type 1 per my endocrinologist. If I keep my carbs between 80 and 90 daily I have my best A1c and BG results. The past few months I have had two major surgeries and my eating patterns, chronic nausea and pain have unfortunately not allowed me to walk, like I was walking, and also has led me to eating starchy comfort food. Not good, so my A1c is now at 5.9. I hope to start being able to lower that again, although most of my surgeons and docs are very happy with that number, I a not!
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    I just read that walking 15 minutes after a meal is better than a 45 minute walk. Of course, most of us don't have time to walk after each and every meal.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I think the key is to fit in exercise whenever we can, in whatever amount works for us. 5 minutes of exercise is better than no exercise, right? I like to use a pedometer to track my daily steps, and that motivates me to get more steps. Have you tried that? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Cruz2far
    Options
    What do you eat to keep your carbs between 80 and 90 without losing weight? Could you list a typical day of food. It would be appreciated.
    I am a beginner at this, a prediabetic. I started to get the message daily that I was not eating enough and was losing weight. My weight was not a problem. I dropped from 129 to 122 in 3 weeks and now I am eating more but my sugar allowance is always 18 or more above the allowance on this website. Thanks anyone who can help.

I was not offered any testing equipment by the Cardiologist who discovered the prediabetes even though I am on Medicare.

I walk two miles daily with some steep hills and have done this for years. I do not have high blood pressure, do not smoke and yet the prediabetes on the non- fasting test.
  • rmb237
    rmb237 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just finished the book "Eat to Live" just for this reason. I am prediabetic now, and at this stage it's completely reversible through diet and exercise. Definitely the motivation I'm going to use from now on.
  • Cruz2far
    Options
    Since I do not have testing equipment, it is hard to keep tract of my diet. I think Medicare only pays for people who are diabetic to get the equipment. I am still keeping tract of what I eat anyway. I do not have any of the usual such as high bp, only weigh 121 lbs and do not smoke but test showed prediabetic.
  • jon9949
    jon9949 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    5.8 is a good A1C...Normal! 4.0-6.0 is the normal range, so I guess if you have never been diagnosed with diabetes, it may get your attention. Just keep your weight in check and make sure you limit your ADDED sugar. Sugar in fruits and natural substances is good. Candy, cookies, cake should be limited to 5 servings a week.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I have type I diabetes...I've had it since I was 15 years old :(
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My A1C was at 9.7% when I was diagnosed with Type 2, its now around 4.5% the last time i had it checked. My day is and has always been 50% carbs, I stay away from sugars but eat fruit daily. Whats the secret? Exercise every morning for an hour and eat proper macros 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fats.

Its worked for me.. but everyone is different.

Hope this helps.