How much protein?

Options
Hello all! I'm wondering how much protein I should be eating a day. I don't do heavy lifting, but I do a lot of resistance (i.e. squats, push ups, etc) along with cardio. My goal is to build decent muscle along with losing fat. My scale seems to be holding steady, Grr...but I do know many of my measurements are smaller than what they were when I was 15 lbs lighter. So I am just starting to be ok with the sssllloooowwww weight loss. How much protein should I aim for each day? Last week I averaged 66 grams a day (some days are high, some are low) and I averaged 90 grams of carbs a day. Should these numbers be reversed? I would also like some suggestions on what to eat if these numbers need to be changed, keep in mind I'm still trying to lose. Thank you so much in advance!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Take how much you weigh and take around 70-80% and eat that in grams' of protein. Technically, it's 0.8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Also, you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but you can make yourself stronger and retain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Resistance training and protein increase the amount of lean body mass you would maintain.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Take how much you weigh and take around 70-80% and eat that in grams' of protein. Technically, it's 0.8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Also, you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but you can make yourself stronger and retain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Resistance training and protein increase the amount of lean body mass you would maintain.
    Thank you. Should I decrease my carb intake as well? I can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time? My scale moves very slowly, though my clothes are getting bigger and I've noticed some nice deltoids, biceps, quads, and calves. What is going on with my body?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you. Should I decrease my carb intake as well? I can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time? My scale moves very slowly, though my clothes are getting bigger and I've noticed some nice deltoids, biceps, quads, and calves. What is going on with my body?

Yes, you can decrease carbs and up protein. With the exception of morbidly obese people and some noob gains, it's very difficult to gain new lean body mass on a calorie deficit. And considering you aren't doing any compound lifts, it's even more unlikely that you are gaining new muscle. But when you lose fat, you can appear to have more muscle. Combine that with gaining strength and there is an assumption of muscle growth.

Additionally, water retention can affect how your close fit.
  • JagerLewis
    Options

Yes, you can decrease carbs and up protein. With the exception of morbidly obese people and some noob gains, it's very difficult to gain new lean body mass on a calorie deficit. And considering you aren't doing any compound lifts, it's even more unlikely that you are gaining new muscle. But when you lose fat, you can appear to have more muscle. Combine that with gaining strength and there is an assumption of muscle growth.

Should I start heavy lifting now or should I wait until I hit my goal weight? I do some heavy lifting on occasion, though it's not part of my regular routine. Sorry for all the questions! :blushing:
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Does anyone else have any input? I've changed my macro goals here on MFP...I'm supposed to eat 100 gm protein a day. Any insight on how to consume that much?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to avoid lifting now, as opposed to when you reach your goal weight. In fact, as you approach your goal weight, the lifting will help retain some muscle. If you're not used to lifting, you'd probably want to start a beginner program and really focus on form; preventing injury should really be the focus starting out.

As to the protein, finding enough protein is never my problem. Finding enough protein that doesn't mess up my overall calories per day is sometimes difficult. For that reason, I try to focus on a (g of protein) : (overall caloric content) ratio. Tuna is great for that, as are egg whites. There's nothing wrong with eating a whole egg. It's nutritious. However, if I've already gotten my fat elsewise, and really all I need is protein, it's hard to beat egg whites with some salsa for flavor.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 100-200 g of protein a day. I, too, have recently seen my weight loss slow down, but people keep asking if I'm losing more weight. Yay - I must be losing inches! I'll friend request you and you can view my diary. Not always the cleanest protein choices, but I do my best. :)
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would like to add, its proven to keep a good supply of carbs with protein when lifting heavy. Both are important in the total process of building good quality muscle. Unless of course you are in a cutting phase.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Should I start heavy lifting now or should I wait until I hit my goal weight? I do some heavy lifting on occasion, though it's not part of my regular routine. Sorry for all the questions! :blushing:

I would lift heavy now... now reason to hold off on an important aspect of fitness. Weight lifting doesn't stop fat loss. I would look for a full body routine and do that 3-4 days a week.
  • JagerLewis
    Options

I would lift heavy now... now reason to hold off on an important aspect of fitness. Weight lifting doesn't stop fat loss. I would look for a full body routine and do that 3-4 days a week.
    Thank you all so much for your advice! Since we're talking about lifting....What should I be able to bench? As of now, I can only bench 80# 5times.