Substitutes for butter?

Options
MysteriousMerlin
MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
Looking for tried and true swaps for replacing butter in recipes, particularly quick breads.

I've used unsweetened applesauce to replace oil in recipes previously, with success. I may try this soon in my banana bread recipe, but wondered if anyone has actually tried it, and what the results were.

Thank you!

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Replacing butter sounds.... lame.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Options
    I would like to cut out the saturated fat, so I can enjoy my homemade goodies more often. I have certain dietary restrictions to follow for health reasons.

And yes, it's lame. :drinker:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Some good suggestions on this blog, including avocado and greek yogurt.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Replace-Butter-When-Baking-21875486
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Options
    Thank you!! ^^

Really appreciate the help!
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can substitute part of butter with ripe avocado. But don't completely eliminate butter.
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I made some jam filled muffins and completely replaced the butter with applesauce...could not tell a difference at all!

You mentioned banana bread, this recipe has no butter or oil. Looks pretty good! To make it a bit lighter, I would personally cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup or maybe even a 1/2 cup since you have the natural sweetness of the bananas and applesauce. http://www.cooks.com/recipe/e93wz2s3/banana-applesauce-bread.html
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I accidentally left the butter out of my banana bread once and didn't even add applesauce, just the bananas were enough and it was delish.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Losing butter is OK. Some use it, some do not. Have you tried Earth Balance margarine? My wife, who is allergic to cow's milk, and I use it, and like it. Great for cooking.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've never had a bad baking experience with applesauce. I replace the butter in the recipe so I can slather more on top of the fresh, hot bread. :wink:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Options
    I've never had a bad baking experience with applesauce. I replace the butter in the recipe so I can slather more on top of the fresh, hot bread. :wink:

oh man, that is so delicious.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    No. But if you have to, I would use creamed cauliflower.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Looking for tried and true swaps for replacing butter in recipes, particularly quick breads.

I've used unsweetened applesauce to replace oil in recipes previously, with success. I may try this soon in my banana bread recipe, but wondered if anyone has actually tried it, and what the results were.

Thank you!
    What's your reason for replacing butter? That might help people give suggestions. Are you trying to avoid fat? Dairy? Animal products?
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I would like to cut out the saturated fat, so I can enjoy my homemade goodies more often. I have certain dietary restrictions to follow for health reasons.

^ pretty sure that is her reason, person who just asked what her reason it.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't like using butter (due to saturated fats and dietary and ethical issues with dairy), so I just replace it with healthier oils, though the calorie and overall fat content isn't really affected. Canola oil is great because it's flavor is really neutral, but walnut oil is delicious in baked goods. :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

^ pretty sure that is her reason, person who just asked what her reason it.
    Thank you. (From the person who obviously didn't read the whole thread). :blushing:

OP - if you don't have a problem with fat (of the unsaturated kind), then substituting oil would work in most baking recipes. Just not something strongly flavoured.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is a REALLY SPECIFIC substitution, but if you are making a cake mix, you can skip all the oil, butter, egg, whathaveyou, and just add a can of diet soda. Really. totally works. Try Dr Pepper in chocolate or cream soda in vanilla. The flavour isn't overpowering, and it will affect the colour. Maybe this would work with scratch cake too? I don't know.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    A really great way to substitute some of the fat is to use ground flaxseed to which you have added boiling water. Consistency is just like egg. Makes a nice moisture and binder.

And I love the flavor of a good olive oil in baked goods.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    According to Pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/365636063468767444/
    3/4 cup of coconut oil for every cup of butter
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Options
    A really great way to substitute some of the fat is to use ground flaxseed to which you have added boiling water. Consistency is just like egg. Makes a nice moisture and binder.

And I love the flavor of a good olive oil in baked goods.

OOO I like the flax idea.

Thank you all very much for the help, it's much appreciated. :drinker: I love to bake and give out goodies as gifts, and a lot of my family and friends have health issues/dietary restrictions. I'd love to share healthier treats with them :heart: