INSANITY workout!

Options
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone has done the insanity workout and what your results were. I'm considering buying it but I will have to decide on either paying for this or going to the gym for 3 months because I can't afford both!

So just wanted to know peoples results and reviews on the product before i make my decision.

Thanks everyone in advance :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• MisterCharisma
    Options
    I have it and its really intense. but if your really committed to doing it every day you couldn't possibly go wrong. the question is can you keep to a high impact pace like that. I know I couldn't. It was too hard for me. now I just pop in a dvd and do 20 min here and there, but my real workouts are in the gym like a planet fitness there really cheap and you got everything you need. I also like to have people around me. it helps motivate me to push a lil harder. as oppose to being home and giving up as soon as I start to feel uncomfortable. Good luck with your choice hope this was helpful.:happy:
  • becca1282
    becca1282 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My other half did it, got up to week six and suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung). I can't do it, as it would agitate my hip injury, and also because I simply don't have the motivation or skill to watch a man on tv and know I'm doing it right. I would personally go to classes at the gym, where an instructor can make sure you are not going to injure yourself and up your motivation levels (as necessary) in person. The DVD is now gathering dust on our shelf. . .
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? I've done it twice, it's pretty intense cardio but the bodyweight exercises aren't as much strength training as I'd like in my routine.

I'm starting round 3 because it's too dang snowy to run outside and the cardio/plyometrics emphasis will keep everything I need to run a half-marathon and Tough Mudder operational throughout the winter.
  • natterzdezign
    natterzdezign Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did it - it was successful for him, he lost over 20 lbs. Before that he didn't exercise, drank lots of soda and didn't eat very healthy. On the other hand, I was very active, ate healthy and I only lost 5 pounds. It's a good workout but very intense and it's hard on the knees (and lower back, which I have problems with both) I get bored easily and am always looking for something new. I've found a lot of FREE great workout videos on www.fitsugar.com There are all sorts of different routines, whether you only have 10 minutes or a whole hour. Good luck with your decision!
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the Insanity DVDs and I love them! If you have a history of back and or knee pain, though, do NOT buy the DVDs. They are high impact and it will end up being a waste of money.

I have never done the program for a full 60 days, but do the workouts 2-3 times a week. If you want a really tough workout to do at home, Insanity can meet that need. Insanity helped me lose about 36 pounds after the birth of my first child. I had my second child this past January and haven't been doing Insanity because if a knee injury and, while I am successfully losing weight, I am not losing as quickly as I was while doing Insanity.

You should ask your local gym about a trial membership. Truthfully, Insanity and the gym with both help you meet your weight loss goals but the success of either one depends on which program you're more likely to stick to. See if you can do a trial membership a the gym, or check eBay for used Insanity DVDs! Good luck!
  • vbodyme
    vbodyme Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Insanity! Completed the 60 days in a row without missing one day and got a free t-shirt at the end, which truly means more than a t-shirt - accomplishment. It was the best decision I made. I kept going and today I'm almost done with FOCUS T25 GAMMA!

Insanity is hard, but you get stronger every day and you feel it too. You do what you can. Calories loss depends on how you perform, your body and your weight, but you do get results be it weight loss or something else. You get an incredible endurance boost from it that's for sure and you improve your flexibility! I've had bad knees and yes Insanity is very hard on knees, but that didn't stop me from completing the program. I modified a few exercises when I felt I needed to and various times reduced the range of motion to help on the knees impact, but still did the exercise. Insanity works, that I can guarantee you.

I used to go 3 to 4 times a week to the gym. I still go because I made a lot of friends and like to see them from time to time. But today I have the option of working out from home and jumping right into the shower. Also, it's cold and snowy where I live and it's such a bonus to not skip on workouts because of the weather. The dvds are my personal trainer :) If I need to remind myself of something I just replay the part of the dvd. The instructors doing the dvds always say something helpful. I also run challenge groups and am part of others. Those are HUGE for motivation and extra tips. As for nutrition, when doing Insanity I didn't follow any rule, but had a pretty nutritious breakfast.

If you're on the fence, as mentioned, evaluate your goals. It's about you being comfortable with your choice. If considering a workout at home, take a look at FOCUS T25 or even P90X3 which is on sale this month - I could help you with that. Both T25 and P90X3 have a modifier so you don't loose intensity while reducing the impact.

Best of luck on your decision!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I did it - lost 1.5 stone in the 60 days (I was fat and ridiculously unfit when I started too). Its an awesome workout plan.

You don't have to buy it though, search for the videos online they're streamed free in a few places - you can then have the best of both worlds :)