Guilt after bingeing

Options
I knew that I am going to have buffet today so I started to ''save'' up calories for today since last week and I managed to ''save'' up 1423 calorie last week and 1283 calorie on sat-mon so a total of 2706cal for today's buffet. I ate mostly sashimi, no fried food, veggie without dressing and quite an amount of gelato ice cream. I am so guilty after bingeing that I just came home and work out for 90min of figurerobics ( a exercise which combines aerobic and figure dance) and I decide to eat 1200-1250cal for the rest of this week ( which is till friday). I am just afriad that I may gain weight due to today's binge...

Question: Can I ''save'' up the calories from the last week for the binge today? Will I gain weight??????

Replies

• ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the logic of such extreme calorie save-up's. The body doesn't know this. It just sees a butt load of food coming down the shoot, fires up sugar storing devices (sugar spike) and stores it as fat. It doesn't know that it has eaten nothing all week because this particular day is coming. It just thinks, not much food coming and now we've found some! SAVE IT!!!

That's my overriding belief from everything I've read.

And just my opinion. :)
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just pay attention to weekly calories. And because of that, yes, I will "binge" one day/week and have less calories another day. Because I feel like it. And my body neither stores fat nor extra weight because of this.

You're not going to gain weight. You might see a fluctuation but not a real weight gain from one day...
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
  • klmorg1227
    klmorg1227 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the logic of such extreme calorie save-up's. The body doesn't know this. It just sees a butt load of food coming down the shoot, fires up sugar storing devices (sugar spike) and stores it as fat. It doesn't know that it has eaten nothing all week because this particular day is coming. It just thinks, not much food coming and now we've found some! SAVE IT!!!

^ this ^ I agree with this poster. I never starve my body. I work out too hard to deprive it. I can't wake up in the morning and expect my body to do an hour of cardio and then do weights and not feed it. Our bodies go into starvation mode if we deprive them and hoard what they get, as the poster above explained, we will lose muscle and store fat. One day of eating a little over isn't anything to worry about as long as it is only once a week or less. I maintain just fine eating my daily calories, plus eating back my work out calories. I may eat a little over twice a month, but still maintain just fine.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First of all, you really ate that much in the kind of relatively low cal food you're talking about?

Second, I find that when I eat too much at a sitting I feel sick. One of the things I've really learned to do is to know that a small amount of yummy is good, but a lot doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel like I've overeaten. I don't like that feeling.

Third, 'guilt' implies a moral lapse. Food isn't about morality. Maybe you made a mistake and ate more than you should have, but it's just food. It SOUNDS like you made some good decisions at the buffet. Next week make better decisions - same kind of food, but less of it. Then it will be easier to fit into your weekly calorie goals.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in guilt. I believe in learning from my mistakes.

Some days I overeat, some days are quite light. The week usually evens out. As long as you are eating enough to sustain you and not so much you get unwell, it's all good.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options

agree........ wen i binge i just move on from it and forget it.............
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    For weight loss you need to be in a consistent caloric deficit. If you go over on calories one day then you can eat fewer on another day, or throughout the rest of the week, and still be at a deficit at the end of the week and lose weight. However, it is unhealthy, and almost eating disorder territory, to 'binge' eat and then 'punish' yourself by heavily restricting yourself afterwards, so be careful not to do this.
    The amount you ate probably won't make much difference. You may have put on some weight from replenishing muscle glycogen, and some from water, and perhaps a pound of fat. At most it will set you back a week or two in your weight loss journey, which is nothing.
    You shouldn't be so obsessed over/afraid of weight gain that it causes you such issues psychologically, it isn't healthy.

P.s. While starving your body is of course bad, there isn't really such a thing as your body going into 'starvation mode'.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You're maintaining. One day won't make a difference and you won't gain weight.

In a "normal" week, eat when you're hungry and make good food choices with good portion control. After a week or two of logging, you'll find that on some days you'll go over your calorie limit and on some you'll be under. The weekly (or monthly, if you wish) average will be okay, though. You'll find that the average calories per day is within your maintenance allowance.

During the holidays, the concept is the same; just that you have to be more careful of portion control and good food choices. But enjoy the holidays. One or two over-indulgent meals will not make you gain weight. Your calories will average out over the month, if you don't overly over-do it.

As others have stated, don't starve your body. Don't feel guilty. You're maintaining now. That allows for some overindulging once in awhile.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Screw guilt. Your body might be simply screaming for carbs because all that exercise made it raid the carb stash it likes to keep for moments like that. Try shifting some more of your calorie budget to carbs according to what you burned exercising, and see if that solves the cravings as well as that overall drained feeling that tends to go with the territory.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Nah you are fine..I love me a chinese buffet (even with still in weight loss)..so I load up on the green beans and proteins....stay away from the noodles and rice but gotta tell ya..I CANNOT resist those potstickers....no way, no how! The sodium is bad though so I never step on a scale for a few days..don't feel guilty..did you enjoy it? If so good for you! I would feel guilty about splurging for days..ha ha
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    First of all, you really ate that much in the kind of relatively low cal food you're talking about?

Second, I find that when I eat too much at a sitting I feel sick. One of the things I've really learned to do is to know that a small amount of yummy is good, but a lot doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel like I've overeaten. I don't like that feeling.

Third, 'guilt' implies a moral lapse. Food isn't about morality. Maybe you made a mistake and ate more than you should have, but it's just food. It SOUNDS like you made some good decisions at the buffet. Next week make better decisions - same kind of food, but less of it. Then it will be easier to fit into your weekly calorie goals.

^^^^This!! It makes so much sense it hurts!
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I also don't believe in saving up calories, but to each his own. If this formula works for you then go for it and make it work.