Keto Help?

Options
So I've been in ketosis for like 4 days according to my ketostix. But I have not lost any weight yet, stuck at 190. I have been running and lifting weights. Whats going on?

Replies

• ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ketostix are not an accurate way to determine if you are in ketosis. For some it can take a while to really get fat adapted. Just keep eating real whole foods. Make sure you're getting enough fat and make sure to still get some veggies in.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Ketosis doesn't cause weight loss. Why are you expecting the scale to move?
  • tom34685
    Options
    I am seeking some help on the most effective ways to get rid of belly fat... I am fairly lean elsewhere, (about 203 and 5'11"), but have had about 15 lbs around my waist for years. And am really motivated to get rid of it once and for all.. I realize it requires a combo of diet and fitness but I am seeking some new advice. Any tips?...
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When you only have a small amount left to lose, it comes off very slowly, even in keto. It might take a week or two to see some progress. Just keep going!!
  • nickdavis843
    Options

because im dieting and working out..
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    When you only have a small amount left to lose, it comes off very slowly, even in keto. It might take a week or two to see some progress. Just keep going!!

thanks im gonna keep on keeping on...just a bit frustrating
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

because im dieting and working out..

But that's not the question you asked.

Ketosis doesn't cause weight loss - a calorie deficit causes weight loss. If the scale won't move, "ketosis" won't have anything to do with it.

Are you at a caloric deficit?
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you're "dieting" we can assume you're at a calorie deficit, AND in ketosis.

Keep it up!

It will happen. =)
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If possible, bump up your saturated fat intake and drop protein accordingly. Protein can be converted to glucose.

If you're a coffee drinker, google "bulletproof coffee." I fell off the keto wagon over the weekend (due to Whole Foods' strawberry gelato, damn the stuff!) and just had a cup of BP coffee to help get myself back in the ring.

Buy seventeen pounds of bacon and live on it for a few days. I like brie, myself.

Keep your electrolytes up - sodium, potassium, magnesium. Have beef or chicken bullion and mix cream in - a salty creamy no-carb soup, tasty and helps the body.

Check http://www.reddit.com/r/keto for more info and many people who are in exactly your boat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^this
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    If possible, bump up your saturated fat intake and drop protein accordingly. Protein can be converted to glucose.

If you're a coffee drinker, google "bulletproof coffee." I fell off the keto wagon over the weekend (due to Whole Foods' strawberry gelato, damn the stuff!) and just had a cup of BP coffee to help get myself back in the ring.

Buy seventeen pounds of bacon and live on it for a few days. I like brie, myself.

Keep your electrolytes up - sodium, potassium, magnesium. Have beef or chicken bullion and mix cream in - a salty creamy no-carb soup, tasty and helps the body.

Check http://www.reddit.com/r/keto for more info and many people who are in exactly your boat.

very helpful ideas....I've found that I've been going over on protein.
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I'm really not sure. Here is a snap shot of my last couple of days for caloric intake. 1,233- 1,621- 1,439- 1,651
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Yes your in a deficit. Give it some time and stop being so impatient.:smile:
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Also, this ^^^

Also also, be aware that when your initial weight loss (congrats btw on hitting ketosis :wink: ) kicks in, your first drop will likely be water weight, followed by another plateau.

You don't appear to be horribly overweight, so plan on this being a new lifestyle thing, rather than a sudden and dramatic change in weight. You gotta have tons of flab to lose tons of flab.

Revel in the new energy levels, ability to focus, quality of sleep and improved moods instead.

Edit: AVOCADO. High in fat, high in potassium, and tasty to boot.
  • nickdavis843
    Options

Also, this ^^^

Also also, be aware that when your initial weight loss (congrats btw on hitting ketosis :wink: ) kicks in, your first drop will likely be water weight, followed by another plateau.

You don't appear to be horribly overweight, so plan on this being a new lifestyle thing, rather than a sudden and dramatic change in weight. You gotta have tons of flab to lose tons of flab.

Revel in the new energy levels, ability to focus, quality of sleep and improved moods instead.

Edit: AVOCADO. High in fat, high in potassium, and tasty to boot.

Thanks for the info. And your right im not horribly over weight but defiantly have a good 10 lbs to lose. Just gonna stick with it. And I ate half an avocado for lunch today actually!