DOES THIS EVER GET EASIER?

Options
I feel like this this is an everyday struggle and would love to know when it gets easier? is it like a smoker that even after they quit they always crave a smoke,,,, will I always feel deprived?

Replies

• jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    May I ask how are you feeling deprived? If you are dieting then yes youll feel deprived of foods you like to eat or drink...but do you incorporate the foods you like to eat into your diet now? Like for instance I still eat all of the foods I like to eat for dinner just alot less of it......
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Does what get easier? Posting on forums?

Rigger
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    May I ask how many calories you are eating a day? You should never feel deprived.... and what kind of foods are you eating??
  • AmberOnFire89
    Options
    with food... I associate food with family and social gatherings. I feel like when people ask us out <me and my hubby> that I have to be nervous of stressed that ill eat the wrong thing. Food is a treat.... a reward .... a perk. m trying to find new things to replace those with like clothes or things I like but my habits are so engrained in my mind I don't know if they will ever change.... I guess I know they will logically buy seems so far away
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    May I ask how are you feeling deprived? If you are dieting then yes youll feel deprived of foods you like to eat or drink...but do you incorporate the foods you like to eat into your diet now? Like for instance I still eat all of the foods I like to eat for dinner just alot less of it......
    This. If you're "dieting" on a set up program from a diet company or "guru", then you may be one of the 90% who will fail because these types are diets are restrictive to what you may actually like to eat. Weight loss and maintenance is about adhering to a lifestyle you can continue to do. If you have any reservations on how you're doing it, then it's time to rethink a different plan.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I find if you eat the "right stuff" with treats in moderation, it becomes habit, and you stop wanting the crap that you know will derail your weight loss. I still love treats, but now I earn them, preferably before I eat them, and even then I consider... I did xxx amount of exercise to earn this, do I want to waste all of that effort on this whole thing, or will half suffice? Once you have decided to really make the change, it isn't that hard. I imagine if you fight it, or feel deprived, it will be an extreme challenge until you change your mindset.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be hard if you're doing it right. You can still eat the same food you did before, just cut back the portions a bit. I never feel deprived, because I still eat the same foods I always have, nothing is off limits except the second helping, which I don't need in the first place. Sit back and learn to enjoy your food, you'll find that less can actually be more. For instance, I get a lot more enjoyment now out of a single serving of ice cream than I ever did from half a carton when I was fat.

Rigger
  • mommafit30
    mommafit30 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP but I agree with the above statements. The thing about it is to just cut back and enjoy the foods that you love. Instead of having 4 or 5 slices of pizza, just eat 2 slices and add a garden salad with light dressing on the side. Simple modifications to your current eating habits may be the best thing to help get you started. Im preaching to the choir of course...I know these things, but doing them is another story...haha...im a work in progress.
  • jennegan1
    Options
    You need to learn when you first start out its about trial and errors... See what works and what doesnt. Eating habits high in protein healthy fat and fiber will keep you feeling fuller longer then carbs and processed high in unhealthy fats will not keep you feeling full as long....When I first joined this sight I said to my self ok Im going to reteach my self how to eat correctly as I like to call it. I still eat all of the foods I love, even tried some new things as I always like to try new things. All I changed was eating smaller portions of my foods, eating a healthy breakfast and eating more fruit now. And learned alot about servings sizes and proportion sizes as well
  • jennegan1
    Options
    I just joined MFP but I agree with the above statements. The thing about it is to just cut back and enjoy the foods that you love. Instead of having 4 or 5 slices of pizza, just eat 2 slices and add a garden salad with light dressing on the side. Simple modifications to your current eating habits may be the best thing to help get you started. Im preaching to the choir of course...I know these things, but doing them is another story...haha...im a work in progress.

We are all a work in progress...welcome to the club :)
  • jennegan1
    Options
    I havent had the time to read this yet but try reading this http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
    another as well http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • jennegan1
    Options
    with food... I associate food with family and social gatherings. I feel like when people ask us out <me and my hubby> that I have to be nervous of stressed that ill eat the wrong thing. Food is a treat.... a reward .... a perk. m trying to find new things to replace those with like clothes or things I like but my habits are so engrained in my mind I don't know if they will ever change.... I guess I know they will logically buy seems so far away

Thats the other thing I had to change...I saw a pinterest post once that said " Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog" it hit home...and it took time but I really have to think about that and change how I viewed food. I still enjoy the occasional snack, but I don't use food as a way to reward myself for other good behavior etc.

I guess I never really had that idea of thinking.....that food is a reward but also I was never rewarded as a child with food either. Sometimes yes I do it with my kids but not always cuz then I rethink how they might get older and associate food as an award
  • jennegan1
    Options
    May I ask how many calories you are eating a day? You should never feel deprived.... and what kind of foods are you eating??

I just saw your ticker now...Congrats on the change of weight :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

disassociate the whole food=reward mind set you have. food is fuel and necessary for life. and sometimes it tastes really really good, and looks and smells nice and feeds your cravings. it has protein, sodium, carbs, fats, and everything the body and mind need.

yes, you can get satisfaction from it, and sometimes you can treat yourself to something that you might not eat often or an extra serving or something, but it shouldn't be a reward/punishment relationship.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Food is not a reward. Food is fuel. Tasty, tasty fuel, but never a reward. That is one of the first things I had to get out of my head. Instead of rewarding myself with a cookie for a great exam grade? I'll take a nap or a long bath.

Also, if you are not eating enough, it become very easy to feel deprived. I had candy AND pizza today. I feel fabulous and stuffed. I eat 2000 to lose. I refuse to ever feel hungry...if I quit losing I'll run more miles before I eat less.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It does get easier but you have to work at it. For me it's been one year cleaning up my diet, and while it's easier for me to make the right choices now than it was a year ago it's still not as easy as it could be. It just takes time, but I do feel having gone one year into this that things are easier and better for me than they were six months ago. Effort has to be applied and you have to keep trying.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I feel like this this is an everyday struggle and would love to know when it gets easier? is it like a smoker that even after they quit they always crave a smoke,,,, will I always feel deprived?

Once you find the right mindset yes it does, it's up to you to find it though there is nothing I can say or do to help you this is something you need to come to terms with on your own.

Humans are the only life forum that will do less then they possibly can. Humans are the only life forum that will settle for less, every other life form except human beings strive to its maximum capacity. The difference between us and everything else is that we have the freedom of choice.... Start making the right choices
  • jennegan1
    Options

Once you find the right mindset yes it does, it's up to you to find it though there is nothing I can say or do to help you this is something you need to come to terms with on your own.

Humans are the only life forum that will do less then they possibly can. Humans are the only life forum that will settle for less, every other life form except human beings strive to its maximum capacity. The difference between us and everything else is that we have the freedom of choice.... Start making the right choices

Thats some really awesome advice to give :)
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    ARE you depriving yourself? This could be what is going on/why you feel this way. I don't feel deprived at all.