hair loss

Options
so my hair has been falling out pretty bad and i went to the doc who sent me to a dermatologist who sent me for blood work and the result is that i have an iron deficiency. i have a appt to go back to my regular doc to discuss it and what she recommends but i figured i'd check with you guys see if anyone out there has ideas to help. so what do i do to get more iron in me? i changed my diary to show iron and yeah....i'm not getting enough. so what can i eat that's got lots of iron that's i can work into my diet? or do you guys think i should just get suppliments?

Replies

• RachelH25
    Options
    Do you like liver??? I hate it but it does have alot of iron in it. Red meat is important to keep in your diet for the iron too. I know people trying to lose weight often cut red meat out. Otherwise they do have vitamin with iron added. I like Vita lea with iron by Shaklee. Very good company.
  • mike6pak
    Options
    Lean cuts of red meat, beans, whole grains... I wouldn't go with liver as it's basically a filter for toxins so you would be eating that too...

Cut back on caffein I read that blocks iron absorption.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I also have had hair loss-falling out pretty bad. Went to the doctor. Had a blood work up. My iron and thyroid looks fine in the blood work up but I have noticed that I am always way below in tracking my nutrition on this site. In discussion with my doctor she also thought I wasn't eating enough healthy fat. I was also usually below on the nutritional breakdown on this site.

I have started to take a low iron supplement. I have increased my "good" fats. I also take biotin and collagen. I still have hair loss (more than normal, but much better than before) and have a lot of new sprouts sticking up all over. To be honest I don't know which is helping so I am going to keep doing all.

My doctor wants me to do a hormone test which I haven't done yet but will.

Good luck with this problem. It is scary - I know.
  • minesc
    minesc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am taking a Hematology course this semester. I learned that iron deficiency anemia (IDA) that results from diet usually shows itself anywhere from 3-6 months after the low iron in the diet. Most of your daily required iron gets recycled inside the body. It is not that common to have IDA as a result of diet in the US. There are other causes (metabolism of iron and others) that can cause IDA.

Hair loss can also be a result of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) that is common in pre-diabetes. Does diabetes run in your family? My sister has PCOS and here testosterone levels are high. My sister has had thinning of hair since just out of high school. I have PCOS with normal hormone levels and have the cysts on my ovaries. It also comes with irregular menstrual cycle.

Good luck to you and do your research before your doctors appointment. Ask for you lab results so you can see reference ranges. Try to have your questions together prior to your appointment.
  • bijouxevents
    Options
    My mom used to always cook using an iron skillet. she stopped using is for awhile and the doctors said her iron had lowered. It was a result from not using the skillet. So, needless to say. She started using it again. meats, sauces, etc. Try it!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What a great idea. My family always used an iron skillet. I forgot about it.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Do you like liver??? I hate it but it does have alot of iron in it. Red meat is important to keep in your diet for the iron too. I know people trying to lose weight often cut red meat out. Otherwise they do have vitamin with iron added. I like Vita lea with iron by Shaklee. Very good company.
    i have not cut red meat out. i eat it 1-2 times per week.
  • sandra80
    Options
    Lean cuts of red meat, beans, whole grains... I wouldn't go with liver as it's basically a filter for toxins so you would be eating that too...

Cut back on caffein I read that blocks iron absorption.
    i do eat lean cuts of red meat 1-2 times per week, i eat beans usually once a week and i only drink water and 1 cup of milk per day so there are no sodas or coffees or teas to cut and i don't have much other sources of caffeine and i only eat whole grains.
  • sandra80
    Options
    I also have had hair loss-falling out pretty bad. Went to the doctor. Had a blood work up. My iron and thyroid looks fine in the blood work up but I have noticed that I am always way below in tracking my nutrition on this site. In discussion with my doctor she also thought I wasn't eating enough healthy fat. I was also usually below on the nutritional breakdown on this site.

I have started to take a low iron supplement. I have increased my "good" fats. I also take biotin and collagen. I still have hair loss (more than normal, but much better than before) and have a lot of new sprouts sticking up all over. To be honest I don't know which is helping so I am going to keep doing all.

My doctor wants me to do a hormone test which I haven't done yet but will.

Good luck with this problem. It is scary - I know.
    my doc's regular bloodwork indicated that my thyroid was fine and i'm not eating enough healthy fats either. biotin has been recommended to me but i am still trying to find it. they did check my testosterone level and it was fine.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Dark, leafy greens are also a good source of iron if you're not interested in upping your red meat consumption.
  • sandra80
    Options
    I am taking a Hematology course this semester. I learned that iron deficiency anemia (IDA) that results from diet usually shows itself anywhere from 3-6 months after the low iron in the diet. Most of your daily required iron gets recycled inside the body. It is not that common to have IDA as a result of diet in the US. There are other causes (metabolism of iron and others) that can cause IDA.

Hair loss can also be a result of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) that is common in pre-diabetes. Does diabetes run in your family? My sister has PCOS and here testosterone levels are high. My sister has had thinning of hair since just out of high school. I have PCOS with normal hormone levels and have the cysts on my ovaries. It also comes with irregular menstrual cycle.

Good luck to you and do your research before your doctors appointment. Ask for you lab results so you can see reference ranges. Try to have your questions together prior to your appointment.
    i don't have PCOS. there is diabetes in my family but my blood work shows that i'm just fine in that department.
  • sandra80
    Options
    My mom used to always cook using an iron skillet. she stopped using is for awhile and the doctors said her iron had lowered. It was a result from not using the skillet. So, needless to say. She started using it again. meats, sauces, etc. Try it!
    hmmm....might have to ask santa for one.
  • sandra80
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input. i still don't know quite what to do about all this.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My wife had gastric bypass a few years ago and her hair has been thinner ever since, she has trouble absorbing enough iron. If you're looking for supplements, have you looked at Shakeology? It has 22% of the RDA for iron and 30% of the RDA for biotin. Below is a pdf of the Nutrition Facts label. Good luck :)

http://myshakeology.com/uploads/fckeditor/mdbody/File/downloads/ShakeologyCocoa.pdf