How do you get back on the wagon FOR GOOD?

Options
I did so great with my weight loss and I fell of the wagon and never turned back. I want to get back to where I was, however I don't see that happening any time soon.

Has anyone fallen off the wagon for so long and succeeded to getting back on it?

My friends don't care what I look like, my husband doesn't care what I look like--why do I struggle with this soooo much!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on looking good. My focus is entirely on feeling good. If you have asthma issues, that is a big reason to stick to it. I used to have EIA (exercise induced asthma) every time I tried to exercise. Over time and with some weight loss I have not used an inhaler in years and have only had one or two episodes a year which I was able to breathe through without medicine. My son had asthma when he was younger but now can run 8 miles. You need to do this for your health.
  • frmrdtr
    frmrdtr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the wagon as well. It's like 10 miles ahead of me now and I'm not even able to see it anymore. I totally know where you're coming from. I'm trying to figure out why I'm in the 'I don't care' mode and can't seem to get focused again. I know it's mental. That game my mind plays with my rational self: eat it, eat it-you need it! But I don't. I can't stop the urges. I can't resist them. I know you're supposed to preoccupy yourself with other things and not focus on food. It's terrible and I know I am the only one who can change it. Why don't I want to then?

I was successful last year and was two pounds away from my goal. One of which I had never in a million years thought I would achieve. Then suddenly the weight was coming back. I was running a lot this summer, but didn't lose anything. I was trying the EM2WL thinking that by eating 15% less than my TDEE it would work. I didn't see any results. So I went with MFP's suggestion of 1610 calories. I can't even get there now. I was up to 1945 calories with EM2WL. It's amazing how a 300 calorie reduction is so hard to do....

I realize you're asking for suggestions on success, and I apologize that I don't have anything to add except the usual: Take it one day at a time. :flowerforyou:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and dust yourself off every single time you fall down. It's going to happen to all of us every now and then. When you give in to the notion of "failure" is when you've really fallen off the wagon. :flowerforyou:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you don't stay on it FOR GOOD. In the past two years I have fallen off at least 4 maybe 5 times, for varies reasons. I've never gained more than 10 lbs back and after a couple weeks or a couple months, like when my husband was ill and in and out of hospitals for a few months and I was super stressed/worried, I will pick myself up dust off and get back on the 'Health' wagon. Its been 2 years and I'm still not at my goal weight, but I'm only 32 lbs away and healthier and skinnier than I have been my entire adult life. So yea, never give up!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    Well, if you need to lose fifty pounds you could look at it as, "if I don't do this now, in three years I'll need to lose 100 pounds."

You'll feel so much better if you drop this weight. You'll look better and be healthier.

It's worth it. You're worth it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My friends don't care what I look like, my husband doesn't care what I look like--why do I struggle with this soooo much!

Sounds like you're comfortable where you are.

Which is a perfectly acceptable answer.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Last week I was the same way. I was eating 2500-3000 calories per day and couldn't stop myself. I even blew off my personal trainer, and I had already paid for the session! I always have this reaction about 8-10 weeks into weight loss. Usually I just give up, but this time it was different. This week I am doing better and I am back on track.

What helped me was:
    1. Thinking about why I was losing weight...to be healthier and to look better.
    2. Thinking about how much better I had been feeling because of the 25 lbs I had already lost. I could move better and I wasn't hurting as much as before. I no longer felt like a beached whale when I was trying to get out of bed! (Can anyone relate to that?)
    3. Thinking about my goals. One of my goals was to be able to tie my shoes without a struggle, and I could finally do that! I took the time to review my goals and that helped motivate me to start eating right again.
    4. I knew that my sisters were coming in January and I wanted to show them that this time I was going to stick to it! I don't want them to tell me (again!) that they knew I wouldn't be able to do it.
    5. I kept logging everything I ate, no matter how much I ate. Just doing this was a reminder too.

Hope some of this helps. I'm sure I will go through this again, and honestly, I can't believe I was able to pull myself out of it so quickly this time. Just remember, no matter how long it has been you can catch that wagon again and get back on. You can and you will! Keep talking to others on here and they will help you. We all go through the same things and you are not alone. Now start running after that wagon!
  • wanderlustre_
    Options
    I totally feel you girly! I fell off the wagon when i had to go through my first major paper and then i couldn't even get back onto the wagon to look good for prom <--MAJOR REGRET! :cry:
    right now, I'm still trying hard to pull myself up on the wagon and look good for the new year. It's been trial and error, but I try to not rest for more than 2 consecutive days at any one time. It's hard to start. Just focus on how good it feels being sore after a workout or how toned your body will be or imagine fitting into your dream dress!! :flowerforyou:
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am, I lost 65 pounds a few years ago and then gained every bit of it back plus 20. I got "back on the wagon" in May and have found it much easier actually to lose weight this time. I don't know if it is "for good" this time, but I have stuck to it longer than ever before and even the holidays haven't really caused me much trouble. Of course I decided not to get radical this time around with crazy exercise or a crazy diet. I kinda eat whatever and simply log it as accurately as possible.

My husband and inner circle didn't care if I was fat either, but I cared.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one.......especially when those around you say "you look okay". But maybe they're just SAYING that to appease you.

You have to do this FOR YOU! It really doesn't matter what they think.....................this isn't about them. IT'S ABOUT YOU!

I have not reached my goal........been on this road for over 2 years. But what I have done is:

Lost and kept off 20 lbs....sometimes more.
    GAVE AWAY or threw away my FAT CLOTHES.
    Told myself I will never, ever, ever buy that size again.
    Gone back to things I know that work................eating better, moving more, LOGGING my food.
    Looked in the mirror............REALLY hard...........and known that I do not ever want to be that chubby girl again.

I am a lot older than many here - and it really IS harder when you're my age. I just have to keep realizing that I want to be healthier, happier, more comfortable in my own skin. If I NEVER get to my goal weight.........well, I will always know that I can keep trying, day by day.

And so, I get back on it. I start to eat less, eat better, move more. That's really all we can do..............take one step, and keep on taking more. It's never easy, and anyone that says it is is a damn liar. But...........it feels so good to wear a smaller size, and know that I have accomplished this.

You can do this. You just have to WANT to....................and take another step.

Much success to you!
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Realize that just because you mess up for one day, or one meal, you don't have any excuse to keep messing up. You know you screwed up, forgive yourself, and go back to eating right.
    Also, don't keep your 'fat clothes', when you get too small for something, get rid of it. Why keep an excuse to gain back weight?
  • kroldridge
    kroldridge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Soooo...it's been 3 weeks. I have had my birthday celebration and I'm done. I'm ready to start this! Who is ready to add me as a friend to help me?

Thank you soooo very much for the encouragement! Love it!