Food everywhere

Options
When i have made a resolution about something, i like to be in charge. This christmas holiday is killing me, food everywhere and everyone wants to invite you to eat. I have managed to avoid 3 work christmas dinner and now there's a lunch today. I didn't want to go so badly that i think i had an anxiety attack, woke up at 3:30pm feeling like throwing up but empty stomach meant nothing came up. I had a cup of tea and couldn't go back to sleep. I'll end up going to this lunch because i do not want to be labelled as unsociable (which my manager called me when i told her i might not go) but i feel like i've just started my nutritional journey, had cake at work twice this week already and i am nowhere near where i wanna be for me to be eating unplanned food everyday.

Don't get me wrong, i have no problems with food whatsoever, as long as i have planned for it. I am the sort that plans my meals a day or 2 in advance, i find this really helps me a lot.

Who else is struggling like me? Who has managed to avoid all the invites flowing in left, right and center and how did you do it?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Are the extra pounds that you may put on really worth the stress, anxiety, paranoia and other anti-social and health affects that you are giving yourself?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, my goals adjust to the time of year. My goal from thanksgiving to xmas is purely to maintain because it's more important, especially career wise, to be social and enjoy company events. I try to make smarter choices (look for lean proteins, veggies or fruit) and then snack on a little of the other stuff like cake! And realistically, if you exercise, it's possible to eat 1700-2100 calories a day without issue. And considering you are tall, it's probably on the higher end of that range. I would just get through the season, buy a food scale and then go to town during the new year.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid food events. I like to plan too, but I also like being sociable and enjoying myself with friends. That means being comfortable with my knowledge of calories and portions and learning a bit of self-control to be able to participate as well when others are eating. So go and load up at the veggie tray, enjoy a bit of meat and whatever else they're serving (dessert too! at least for me ;)) and put in an extra workout or two during the week.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the various advice.

I am a very sociable person, although i do not drink alcohol but i used to drink as many j20 as i could plus crisps and peanut almost every friday after work with my friends, this went on for almost 2months before i had to caution myself. I am still learning about portion control because i have always ate with my eyes in the past but now, i weigh everything. Guess i will just have to estimate the calories this afternoon.

I didn't get this big overnight and if, while i'm still adjusting to this new change i keep getting invites to dine, rejecting it seems so hard. I even have a birthday to go to this weekend, THAT, i will be plannin.g ahead for
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    When i have made a resolution about something, i like to be in charge. This christmas holiday is killing me, food everywhere and everyone wants to invite you to eat. I have managed to avoid 3 work christmas dinner and now there's a lunch today. I didn't want to go so badly that i think i had an anxiety attack, woke up at 3:30pm feeling like throwing up but empty stomach meant nothing came up. I had a cup of tea and couldn't go back to sleep. I'll end up going to this lunch because i do not want to be labelled as unsociable (which my manager called me when i told her i might not go) but i feel like i've just started my nutritional journey, had cake at work twice this week already and i am nowhere near where i wanna be for me to be eating unplanned food everyday.

Don't get me wrong, i have no problems with food whatsoever, as long as i have planned for it. I am the sort that plans my meals a day or 2 in advance, i find this really helps me a lot.

Who else is struggling like me? Who has managed to avoid all the invites flowing in left, right and center and how did you do it?

I have the same problem at work. Every year at Christmas I am buried under chocolate, junk food, and incredible home made baked gifts from co-workers and clients. I can't refuse the sweets because it would hurt the feelings of people who baked them. In the past I've thrown it all away and given it away, but always eat some and get sick. I get migraines from too much chocolate and have ended up in the emergency room a couple of times when the headaches went on for days.

My strategies this year (I blew it yesterday but will keep trying):
    Eat regular food and make sure I'm never hungry. This includes before going to lunch and dinner. I fill up on steel cut oats with a sliced apple or some other healthy food before I go, then eat something small at the event.
    Drink water -- a lot
    I'm buying sugarfree gum to keep at work. I am not a fan of aspartame, but a little won't hurt me to survive the next 1-2 weeks and is better than a migraine. I found out that I overeat from stress and because I want a treat and the gum helps with that.

Editing this to add:
    Keep a drink with you and a small plate and take forever to eat what's on it. People will be less likely to push food on you if you have something in your hands.
    Be nice, have a sense of humor, don't offer into on your diet/lifestyle, and get the subject off yourself and food. Claim an allergy or health problem if you must and change the subject. Ask people to talk about themselves.

Good luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is why I always encourage people to do sociable things when they are losing weight. Why? Because this is life. You will have times where there will be parties filled with cookies, alcohol, and all sorts of yummy goodies. Part of this learning process is learning how to enjoy times like this and still stay on track, either for losing weight or maintaining.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 Christmas meals so far and just made sure that I 'saved' cals elsewhere and made sensible choices (diet soda instead of alcohol/ fruit juice, fruit salad for dessert etc.). So far I've only once been over maintenance once and that was only by 100 cals. Christmas Eve & day I am with family and intend eating and drinking pretty much what I like but have a hike & a 5k run planned respectively to offset some of the damage. This is about a lifestyle change and so social events will happen I just need to incorporate them in my normal life.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you break down "the holidays" you are potentially looking at a few days out of an entire year…christmas, new years, new years day, plus say three parties…that is six days out of 365….do you really think that six days are going to make you obese? Honestly, the choices that you make the other 95% of the time are going to make more of a difference than six days over the holidays…if you are that concerned about the parties, have a lighter breakfast and lunch to make room for the food at said party …or when you go to the party just say .."I am going to have one desert item" or something like that…..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh and if you are having an anxiety attack about the food that may be at a party …you might want to get some help and re-examine your relationship with food... just saying...
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This is about a lifestyle change and so social events will happen I just need to incorporate them in my normal life.

exactamondo - we are not here to just diet, we are here to learn how to eat sensibly and ably for the rest of our lives, and that includes parties and social events!!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    If you can, eat a large healthy meal with lots of protein and fat right before you know you're going to be faced with the holiday feasting. And then when the time comes you'll find it easier to select small portions of healthy food from whatever is offered.
  • Vicxie86
    Options
    oh and if you are having an anxiety attack about the food that may be at a party …you might want to get some help and re-examine your relationship with food... just saying...

lol my relationship with food is so good, you would think i was born with it but thanks for the advice
  • Vicxie86
    Options
    my problem was fitting something into my diary that wasn't planned for but i managed to get round it and actually saved more calories, so i'm happy about that.

I have a little OCD e.g. the space in my kitchen cabinet where my table salt sits......you can't move it, once i have things in certain places, i don't like for their positions to change unless i was rearranging the whole space. So, it's the same with my food, i've planned ahead and then BAM, unexpected lunch. Well, actually, we had advance notice and i sort of half decided i didnt want to go hence why i never planned for it but i've learned my lesson.

Thanks Guys
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Maintaining during these last 2 months of the year is my game.. It still is a game sometimes with me and hopefully the future will change that. Just enjoy and eat a little less and move a little more. That's all I've got but I think it is all we need to hear:))))
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options

I recently read this quote, however, you have been given a lot of good advice that has helped me as well. "It is not what you eat from November to December, but what you eat from December to November. Enjoy the Holidays!!"
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Calm down. You can go to these things and choose the lowest calorie foods. Just nibble on different things. You don't have to eat cake and cookies if you don't want. Christmas is a hard time to start, but this is a good time for you to learn to cope with events that are all about food. If nothing else, go to the gym a little extra this week. Food and social activities should be enjoyed, not feared.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    my problem was fitting something into my diary that wasn't planned for but i managed to get round it and actually saved more calories, so i'm happy about that.

I get like this, too. Scrambling to rearrange my carefully laid out plans, whether food or schedule or whatever, sends me into a downward spiral. But I've gotten a lot better about it (food) over time.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Try to not to worry or stress yourself so much over it. Just do what you can by eating smaller portions or making the right food choices at the party. There has to be something that you can get in minimal so that it will not effect your diet. Just add the calories to MFP and make up for it with a workout or a better dinner! Don't stress it, but think of how you can better yourself with will power and making better choices at these types of events.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Things happen, even more so this time of year. Just plan for it. Even better be sure to make the best choices that you can. Most company functions will be at places that have good selections on their menu's... so just do the best that you can. The holidays are only one time a year. This should not derail your long term goals though.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You are armed with knowledge, determination, and the ability to make healthy choices, so just recognize that life is full of these situations (although, this season is a little crazy) and this is a test, and you have what it takes to pass the test. You are smarter about these things than you used to be, don't underestimate what you are capable of! I get a real sense of satisfaction by enjoying the social aspect of these events and not having to completely ruin a good time by overeating OR drawing attention to myself because I'm cursing everything on the table! There is a happy medium that can be enjoyed and HEALTHY.