HELP! Putting and Keeping Weight On!!! PLEASE READ

Scorpiomom222
Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a friend that has a very hard time keeping weight on. She is stick thin already, but is so disgusted with how thin she is. She's 98 lbs soaking wet and 5'4" or 5"5". Any advice to help her gain weight healthily?

Replies

• bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    my friend is the same way. she's 96 lbs but i think shes 5'3 or something. She drinks these shakes that help you gain and maintain a healthy weight. I forgot the name but they have 250+ healthy cals(compared to empty cals) and loaded with vitamins and protein. She also is doing Insanity and following their meal plan. I think she's gained 5+ lbs and its only been two weeks.
  • arp1217
    arp1217 Posts: 38 Member
    If she wants something that will help, Ensure is a drink that she can have but she has to get the kind that helps with weight gain. You can look up Ensure online and there are so many types but they do have one that will help gain weight the healthy way. I drink the regular Ensure for the protein after I am done working out and helps with muscle repair.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Perhaps she could try adding a liquid meal to each of her regular meals. Something like Ensure, or the Special K Shakes.

To be of any help, we need to know what she is eating now. How many calories is she eating? Is she keeping her food down? Could she have an eating disorder that you aren't aware of??:flowerforyou:
  • The other thing to try is an exercise regime which involves muscle building. Not bulking up loads like a man (it's really really hard for a woman to do that anyway due to our lower levels of testosterone) but just putting on enough muscle to bring her weight up. She should maybe speak to a personal trainer or look online for an exercise programme.

xx
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    man my brother is a hard gainer too look up hardgainer online he would be drinking protein shakes with scoops of ice cream chocolate syrup and im over there sipping water i think he stole my metabolism haha
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Perhaps she could try adding a liquid meal to each of her regular meals. Something like Ensure, or the Special K Shakes.

To be of any help, we need to know what she is eating now. How many calories is she eating? Is she keeping her food down? Could she have an eating disorder that you aren't aware of??:flowerforyou:

I was just going to say that I did hint at the possibility of an eating disorder; she said no, and I really don't think if she wanted to put on weight, she would be in the middle of an eating disorder, unless it was bingeing cuz she can't keep the weight on. she eats maybe 1400 calories if not more a day.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    She eats maybe 1400 calories if not more a day.

That's more like a maintenance calorie level, not one to gain weight. She needs to pump up those calories but not with quick burners like sugar and carbs. Many have suggested the shakes. I'd suggest you suggest she go that direction.
This discussion has been closed.