Weight Gain Frustration

Options
Last week when I weighed in I was at 238.4 with a body fat 52.8%. Yes I know that is absolutely horrid. Today when I weighed in I'm at 241.2 and body fat of 50.2%. I get some form of exercise daily, I eat under my calories and don't eat what gets added from the exercise. So why did I gain weight? I'm absolutely frustrated right now.

Replies

• michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Is the workout something new for you? Also, if you are using a scale to assess body comp, it is not the most accurate and depends on hydration levels too. If the workout is new, expect a small increase in due to water retention for muscle recovery. How often are you stepping on the scale? I used to weigh every day but would get frustrated because of the daily fluctuations. Set one day a week for an official weigh in.

Good luck!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    water! the number on the scale means very little, go by your body fat (which has gone down so congrats) measurements, how clothes fit, etc. much more accurate that way. i gained 5 pounds over night once because it was that time of month; there are too many factors going into weight especially when the numbers are as close as yours are. so dont sweat it and keep it up! :)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    You didn't.

Both of those measurements are well within the normal range for someone who is neither losing nor gaining.

Keep your eyes on the prize and if you want to know the general direction of things use the graph provided for you by MFP (look under the progress tab). If the TREND (based in the past three weeks) is headed down, you are losing. Ignore any bumps or dips.
  • I only weigh once a week and I drink a lot of water every day. Definitely more than 8 cups a day. I just hate seeing that number on the scale though I was happy with seeing the body fat go down.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week and I drink a lot of water every day. Definitely more than 8 cups a day. I just hate seeing that number on the scale though I was happy with seeing the body fat go down.

It's normal. Just don't give up, and eventually your whole brain winds up accepting that your weight fluctuates and it's not a big deal.
  • tnadungan
    tnadungan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree don't give up. You WILL see results if you stick to it. I too gained this week after loosing last week. But have done nothing different. Next week will be a new week and hopefully positive results!
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think it just takes a couple of weeks of hard work to see the scale move down at least that was the case for me.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    What everyone is saying is true. it took me almost two months to lose 5 lbs. My weight fluctuated daily.

One day i actually had a crying spell because my weight crept up by 3lbs on my weigh in day and I had been working so hard. Come to find out, it was water weight from my cycle. That water weight can be a monster. It always comes off, but it can really mess with your head. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. I know how hard that sounds; I too, am a slave to the scale. I know how it can completely ruin your day and discourage you. But keep doing what you're doing; as long as you are staying under your calories (make sure you are weighing your food, etc.) and getting some exercise, it will come off. It can just take a really long time for your body to adjust.

It will come off. Stay patient. I had to learn patience with this the hard way. Don't let it get to you. Just KEEP GOING
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I feel that many people focus too much on the number on the scale. IMO go more off of how you look in the mirror and how your cloths fit.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    What everyone is saying is true. it took me almost two months to lose 5 lbs. My weight fluctuated daily.

One day i actually had a crying spell because my weight crept up by 3lbs on my weigh in day and I had been working so hard. Come to find out, it was water weight from my cycle. That water weight can be a monster. It always comes off, but it can really mess with your head. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. I know how hard that sounds; I too, am a slave to the scale. I know how it can completely ruin your day and discourage you. But keep doing what you're doing; as long as you are staying under your calories (make sure you are weighing your food, etc.) and getting some exercise, it will come off. It can just take a really long time for your body to adjust.

It will come off. Stay patient. I had to learn patience with this the hard way. Don't let it get to you. Just KEEP GOING

This completely!!

Matter of fact...my scales showed a 3 lb. gain this morning (since my Saturday weigh in) which I know is not feasible based on my calories consumed. I think I'm finally off the mindset of having the scales dominate my thoughts and decision making. With my previous mindset, seeing a number I didn't like on the scale would have automatically sent me in a downward spiral which would have probably included a binge eating spell. The scales no longer have that control over me because I know to look at the general trend vs. looking at one or two weigh ins.

So many things affect the scale. For myself looking back at this week, I've consumed a lot of sodium! It's also my cycle week, and my muscles have been really sore from shoveling snow (using different muscles that I don't normally use working out)...so I imagine I have some fluid buildup there too. Excuses? Maybe...but I know now that if I stick to plan, in a few days the scales will be nice to me because theoretically I have not consumed enough calories to gain weight.

Don't let the numbers on the scale affect your mindset!! It's a game you can't win if you do that!

Good luck to you! You can do this!! :)