Okay, this is kinda stupid, but...

Options
I've only been on this diet for three days, but it is my first diet EVER, and I've been scrupulous for those three days, and I weighed myself and it read three pounds less. This is ridiculous and I'm sure that two of those three are just normal fluctuations that will go up and down within a range over time; I know all that. I don't really think I lost three pounds, and I shouldn't have if I did -- I've been very careful to keep to a sensible calorie count and not a starvation diet, and I'm aiming to lose a pound and a half a week. But I suspect that, because of that pound-and-a-half-a-week aim, and because I *have* been careful over those three days, that one pound out of those three might just be legitimate. Meaning that it would be the first pound I have ever lost on purpose, by a deliberate choice to eat carefully.

It's a dumb little thing to be proud of maybe, but I'm so proud of it anyway. It's a start! I really have made a start!

Replies

• daben
    daben Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! It's a start!
  • dinavarrete
    Options
    I think you should be proud. Losing any weight is a great accomplishment
  • clothes_of_sand
    Options
    No way! That's an amazing thing to be proud of. Seeing that first pound (or possibly 3) go because you *made* it go is a great feeling. Store it away and use it to get you through the hard times when you're frustrated. Here's to getting rid of more pounds on purpose :)
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I don't think its stupid at all! Good job, and congrats on actually acknowledging the general fluctuations that so many seem to overlook and obsess about :)
  • arp1217
    arp1217 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss and those other two pounds that you lost could be water weight as well. When you tend to start watching what you eat, your sodium levels might go down which can help in losing water weight as well. Either way, you did a great job and keep it up!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well done, first one down and here`s to many more :drinker:
  • fullagrace
    Options
    Your first week is always awesome. You could possibly and likey lose over 3 pounds, but it is mostly water weight.

In any case it gets you that much closer to your goal!!!

I lost 5 pounds my first week on the diet this round. A few years ago when I dieted for the first time I lost 6 pounds my first week.

Its really not unusual or unhealthy if you are eating your minimum calories. Like I said its mostly water weight. It still feels great to me tho :)

CONGRATS!!! Keep at it!
  • PocketNaomi
    Options
    Thank you, everyone who's been so nice in replying and reassuring me that it's not dumb to be proud of the first pound! And yeah, I hadn't thought of the sodium aspect, but since I'm consciously choosing almost exclusively "diet-designed" frozen foods (because the fibromyalgia pain makes it almost impossible for me to cook, so I need low-calorie, high-nutrition meals that require virtually no preparation), and I know those often make a point of being relatively low in sodium, I might very easily have done that without noticing. I'm glad of that too, then; taking off water weight is still taking off weight I would otherwise need to haul around whenever I move, and if I have extra because I'd been eating too much salt (which I know I had before) and I can get rid of it, that's great independent of the dieting.

I really appreciate all the support here!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    That is the best post I've read today!

A sensible realistic approach? You have great success in your future!

I love "lost a pound on purpose- because I planned to." [sic]

You could make that your signature. :smile:
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well done, and here's to many more 'deliberate' LBS coming off. Well done you!
  • PocketNaomi
    Options
    >>You could make that your signature

I think that's a terrific idea and I did! :) Thanks for suggesting it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    >>You could make that your signature

I think that's a terrific idea and I did! :) Thanks for suggesting it!

:happy: :flowerforyou: love it!
  • marniehodges
    Options
    No weight loss is stupid and no effort is stupid! Way to go!
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    After my first 8 pounds, I thought to myself, "Oh, anyone can lose 8 pounds...." It took losing 30 to realize that what I was doing deliberately was paying off. You should take the credit for each and every pound you lose, especially since you're doing it in such a reasonable way! Be proud! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!