Low-sodium Lunch meat?

Options
Wow... my low cal high protein ham sandwich is loaded with Sodium! How do I get low sodium lunch meat?

Replies

• FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    With lunch meats it's nearly impossible I think, unless it's specifically made for low sodium diets. Instead of ham though you could grill up some chicken breast or turkey breast, cool it and slice it for sandwiches. Still not ham though, I know!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I have yet to find one... will be interested to see the responses.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Turky burgers are great.. 410 mg of sodium per patty. 21 g protien YES!
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    But you have to watch turkey burger and ground turkey... sometimes it's worse for you than really lean beef would be because (gross, but true) they grind in the fat and skin with the meat. So be aware and grab the leanest you can find, Asa!
  • msemejuru
    Options
    I joined this site to get my blood pressure under control so I know how you feel trying to find decent lunch meat. I alternate making turkey breast, beef roast and chicken in my Croc-pot on Sundays. I slice half the meat to eat in sandwiches, salads, pita etc. and Foodsaver (vacuum seal) and freeze the other half for future weeks. This is the only way I can get low sodium meat affordably. Maybe you can roast a small ham?
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    I think most hams that you buy are cured and brined by the time it gets to the store, so unles if you can get one from the butcher or a farm that has not been processed at all, that might be difficult. i could be wrong though.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not exactly lunch meat, but I use this (http://www.butterball.com/product/butterball-lower-sodium-turkey-bacon) turkey bacon for BLT's. 2 slices breaks into 4 pieces and covers a standard slice of bread and is only 50 calories and 160mg of sodium.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I don't there is a low sodium lunch meat, but Sara Lee makes a lower sodium that's lower thany anything else I've found. That's what I use when I'm really craving a sandwich for lunch.
  • I absolutly love boars head low sodium turkey yum!
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get the Sara lee low sodium turkey at the deli too.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    they make heart healthy lunch meat, that is lower in sodium...i believe that it is in a green box but i dont remember the name?! otherwise if you wanna pay a lil more...the deli usually carries low sodium lunch meat too!
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Winn-Dixie here has low sodium ham. It taste the same to me. I think Walmart has it in the brand in those little tubs. I can't remember the name.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    For some reason my turkey bacon always looks too fake to eat.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I absolutly love boars head low sodium turkey yum!

same here!! Good Stuff
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    For some reason my turkey bacon always looks too fake to eat.

Yeah, it doesn't exactly look right raw. I have to cook it extra crisp in the microwave to get it to look right.
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just saw a show topic on this on The Doctors. I think it comes on before Oprah. Anyways, they say that lunchmeat is really terrible for you. Even with my weight what it is, I've always had low blood pressure. However, at one point a couple years ago I was trying to do lower carbs and kept lunchmeat in my fridge and snacked on it constantly and my bp SHOT through the roof. I think paired with the sodium and preservatives it can be really harmful. Luckily, I cut out deli meats and my bp instantly went back to normal.

They suggested you buy a petit turkey or ham in the frozen or fresh meat section, or boil chicken breasts and then slice or chop.

ALSO...they say that canned soup isn't much better so be careful there, too :flowerforyou:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I absolutly love boars head low sodium turkey yum!

Me too!
  • svackar
    Options
    I've found Dietz & Watson gourmet lite turkey breast at Costco. It has probably 1/2 the sodium of other lunch meats I've tried. It taste just like left-over turkey when we prepare our own.
  • GunNut37086
    GunNut37086 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found I eat a lot more sandwhiches on a diet, so I was looking for low-sodium lunch meats too.

Here's what I found...http://www.boarshead.com/pdf/BHNutritionGuide-July2010.pdf. Boar's Head is a little pricey, but I realize now that my health is worth it and I use less per sandwhich on a diet.

They have one particular item (Deluxe Low Sodium Oven Roasted Beef - Cap-Off Top Round) that has 80 calories and only 80 mg of sodium. I couldn't find any low sodium ham, turkey, or chicken, though, but I love roast beef sandwhiches, so I'm happy.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Columbus brand low-sodium turkey breast is great. You can find it at Trader Joes, also they have uncured roast beef which I think is also lower in sodium. Or cook your own, it's easy to roast a whole chicken and slice it up for the week.