best book you have read?

Options
What has been the best book you have read on weight loss?

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    it's not so much on weight loss, but Omnivore's Dilemma was an outstanding read. It talks about the ways we consume, not so much "how to lose weight." and does so in a manner that isn't condescending in any way. Michael Pollan is truly one of my heroes.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    A lot of people might disagree but I found Skinny B*tch really helpful.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't read popular diet books because a) most of them aren't written by experts, and b) I don't have time with reading all my textbooks. LOL But, after 7 nutrition classes at the college level, I highly recommend one of the nutrition books I'm currently using in class. The title is Nutrition for Health, Fitness, and Sport and it is written by Melvin H. Williams. It's a much easier read then most college textbooks and really explains things in layman's terms not only in how the body processes nutrients but also in how you can improve your fitness and athletic performance through nutrition.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Precision Nutrition. Straight up taught me how to eat. (warning: it's spendy.)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thin for Life. It's not a diet book but rather a culmation of research on how people lost weight and were successful at keeping it off.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hands down its got to be The End of Overeating by Kessler,

could not recommend more,

first it discusses the sugar-salt-fat addiction and then Kessler goes on to make you aware just how insidious the food industry is,

anything processed just nauseates me now,

the portion control issue is still a brain issue that has no easy fix at this point,

but his suggestions for overcoming Chronic Conditioned Hypereating starts with awareness and support which is why MFP is such the perfect place to be each day,

MFP is the first on my computer and the last window I close each evening, it may be minimized, but MFP is always open for me,

I started just eating fresh, then tweeking my sodium, my fat, adding fiber foods, weighing everything in order to reeducate my portion control brain
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    For me it has to be Rosemary Conley's Low Fat Cookbook. More than just a cookbook as she covers all areas of food, fats and nutrition.
  • RZEE
    RZEE Posts: 32
    Options
    the belly fat cure by jorge cruise !
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Hand down, YOU on a Diet by Dr. OZ. it answers all the simple questions that people have that they never learned anywhere else. Questions about micro-nutrients, sodium, how you lose fat, and supplements. There is no other book that is this comprehensive.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    Lupus Recovery Diet -- I am doing it for my health more than weight loss, but the weight is coming off as well.