Women 5'6" - 5'7" - 5'8" How many calories do you eat daily?

Options
13»

Replies

• hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I started around 1,200, stalled, upped it to 1,350, stalled, and then went to 1,400.

This might be because, as I'm losing weight, I'm finding more energy to do things.

I don't have a very intense workout regimen, although I will be starting P90X3 around Christmas, so we'll see how it goes from there!
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7, 25 yo and 132 pounds. My goal is to be 120 pounds. Currently I am on a 1400 calorie diet coupled with intermittent fasting (4-5 hour eating window). I am mostly sedentary but I do 2 hours of exercise weekly + lots of walking. My results with IF are phenomenal: my tummy is flatter than ever before. I should reach my goal by March 2014. I recommend you to lower your calories to 1400 and give IF a shot for 2 weeks.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 141 lbs, goal of about 130, I eat 1500 net. I'm losing slowly but it is what I feel comfortable doing. I also don't want to lose too fast and end up flabby.

I lift 5 times a week and eat the exercise calories back (about 200-250 per session)
  • gale1089
    Options
    I'm 5"7, 25 yo and 132 pounds. My goal is to be 120 pounds. Currently I am on a 1400 calorie diet coupled with intermittent fasting (4-5 hour eating window). I am mostly sedentary but I do 2 hours of exercise weekly + lots of walking. My results with IF are phenomenal: my tummy is flatter than ever before. I should reach my goal by March 2014. I recommend you to lower your calories to 1400 and give IF a shot for 2 weeks.

That's awesome! I actually did give IF a shot a few months ago. I had really good results the few weeks I tried it., and I loved eating my days worth of calories is a shorter time. I would finish dinner around 7:30 and wouldn't eat till 10:30-11:30 the next day. I did this cycle because sleeping is the only time I can go long periods without eating haha. But breakfast is my favorite part of the day, I literally look forward to it right after I finish it. And I got sooo hungry usually before 9:30am :frown: I just can't seem to go that long without eating! I still try and do it on the weekends since I sleep in till 10 usually anyway… Any tips or advice for me?
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I look at my calories over a weekly average. Anything below a 2300 average is a good week for me, honestly. I shoot for 2000 though. I've set my daily goal limit to 1700 and try to hit that most days of the week, because some days I like to go over. I work out a lot and my TDEE is 2400 so staying as low as 1700 consistently is a recipe for disaster (i.e. binging). I'd rather let myself eat more on days that I need it. I don't eat back my exercise calories or anything though,

Edit: My current weight is ~170 and I generally strength train 2x a week and do cardio 3-4x a week, goal weight is 150
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    170 cm thats bou 5.7 and i eat round 1800

im losing :)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Thanks you two! I might lower my calories to 1400 after seeing your numbers.
    Anyone else want to share their daily calorie intake, please?!

Why would you lower your intake base off someone's input? Why not base your input off your fitness goals and activity level. If it makes you feel better, the average women I know eats between 1700-2100 calories during weight loss and maintenance around 2100-2500. Below is a good thread too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

This.... 5'8 and eat anywhere from 1600-1900 per day...
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 139lbs and very slowly losing the last 5lbs. I'm learning that my maintenance calories are around 2200 + whatever I burn from exercise/running. Up until the beginning of this month I was running 3-4x/week however in December I've committed to a running streak challenge and currently go every day. This is giving me a total of about 2700-3000 calories daily (and I've actually lost 2lbs so far since Dec 1st!).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and currently 22 weeks pregnant and workout 4-5 times a week, work part time as a secondary school teacher where I'm on my feet all day, and on my days off am active with my 2 year old, and also have to take/collect my 4 year old from school, and look after both in the afternoon/evening. I aim for 1800 calories a day at the moment.

Before I was pregnant I aimed for 1500-1600 calories a day. I was 154lbs and a US size 8. I was doing 5-6 more intensive workouts a week then, plus my 4 year old wasn't at school, so I was running round after 2 kids on my days off!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Height: 5' 7.5''
    Weight: 220.6

1200 calories a day and I eat back 1/2 of the exercise calories. I've stayed with what MFP calculates for a 2 lb. a week loss during the 6 months I've been doing this and I've been at 1200 for a while.
  • HMEllenberger
    Options
    Height: 5'8.5"
    Weight 175

I decided to start losing weight almost two months to the day today. I had ballooned up to 194 lbs, which on a small/medium frame, is not good! My job is sedentary. I basically only get up to scan documentation or get a bite to eat. I try to walk 20 minutes three times a week with my dog. However, that does not always happen. I eat between 1200 and 1220 calories a day. I have lost 19 lbs so far. So, if my calculations are right, I am losing 2 lbs a week, which was my goal!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I had a month off from training and dieting due to a knee injury so have only been back at it for the past month. I thought I would at least lose a few lbs in the first week but nothing!

I love training so don't really want to do less, it keeps me sane! I agree about netting below 1200, I don't like the thought of that at all!

Given that i've only been back on it for a month do you think I need to go back up to maintenance for a week already?

Since you say you're religious about weighing, then we'll assume your calorie estimates are accurate. A month of hardcore working out is quite a bit. How about rather than maintenance, you try netting around 1400? You also might want to have a cheat day every once in awhile. It helps some people. I'm a firm believer in giving your body a break, but since you love working out, if nothing else works, you could always just try slowing it down for a week and see if the break helps you.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 130
    1,390 calories + 75% of exercise calories.
    Set on "Lightly Active" to lose a half pound per week

Tomorrow will be my 2nd weigh-in since beginning the diet on the 5th and I have a feeling that I won't record a loss this time. Last week it was 3 pounds of what I assume was mostly water weight.

I've been trying to follow zumba routines from YouTube and am probably overestimating my exercise calories by a bit. Though the moves look simple enough and I don't doubt I could have done them easily 20 years ago, I'm finding that I've lost a lot of coordination as I've aged and my stiff 58 year old body can't move the way I imagine it moving in my mind. At least not yet. And I'm a little bummed out about it, enough so that right now I'm more concerned with getting up to speed with my cha cha cha than losing the remaining 5 pounds to get to my goal weight. The weight loss is just about muffin top control anyway. I didn't want to go shopping for new pants.

For strength training I've been doing the scientific 7-minute workout someone posted last week, which I'm finding easier than the zumba except for the push-ups. That's something else I need to get up to speed on.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am 35, 5'7" and 133 - 135 pounds with 19% body fat and 40% muscle mass (or thereabouts)... in maintenance mode... not looking to go any lower. :) I eat anywhere between 1400 - 1600 a day because it works for me. I am sedentary but have a daily practice of yoga which lasts about 90 minutes.
  • stardustgrrrl42
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 147 lbs
    Body Fat Percentage: 28%

My calculated BMR is 1395 and my sedentary TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 1674. My actual TDEE varies based on my activity for the day -- it can go anywhere from 1674 up to 2700 calories burned (I use a Fitbit Force to track my daily steps and use a Polar HRM and the Digifit app to track my calories burned during heavy cardiovascular activities (like playing Dance Dance Revolution on Heavy/Expert difficulty). I am running about a 30% deficit, so right now I target a net goal of 1180 calories -- however my actual calories eaten in a given day totally depends on how much activity I've had. On days where I'm sedentary, I only eat around 1180 calories. On days where I've burned 1000 calories from exercise, I eat around 2100 calories of food.

TLDR: how much food I eat entirely depends on what my exercise and activity levels are for the day (ranges from ~1100 to ~2100 calories eaten).

32782178.png
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 155

1600 calories and an active runner.

I actually wore my HRM for an extended period of time over a week. I found out a few things about my body...

Working: 100 Calories a hour x 9
    Relaxing: 80 calories an hour x 7
    Asleep: 80 calories an hour x 8

= 2100 calories a day on a regular routine.

If an extra pound of fat is 3500 calories and I set the goal to lose 1 pound a week (3500/7 = 500), I'd have to eat or exercise 500 calories less a day.

2100 regular - 500 = 1600 calories a day. I also backed this amount up with a TDEE calculator (Scooby?). I now eat all my calories back too when I run.

My first estimation for calories was at 1400 and I did this for an extended period of time. I didn't lose ANY weight and was hungry all the time. I found myself binge eating in the afternoons because I was so hungry by 6 pm.

Now at 1600, I have more energy and I'm never hungry. I've gained 3 pounds in muscle mass and lost inches around my stomach and bust.

I'm dropping some math on you this morning, watch your toes. MATHEMATICAL!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It is irrelevant what we all are doing, OP. We are all different ages and weights, for one thing. For another, we all have different goals.

Use the link the Mod posted to figure out what YOU need to be eating for YOUR goals.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 155

1600 calories and an active runner.

I actually wore my HRM for an extended period of time over a week. I found out a few things about my body...

Working: 100 Calories a hour x 9
    Relaxing: 80 calories an hour x 7
    Asleep: 80 calories an hour x 8

= 2100 calories a day on a regular routine.

If an extra pound of fat is 3500 calories and I set the goal to lose 1 pound a week (3500/7 = 500), I'd have to eat or exercise 500 calories less a day.

2100 regular - 500 = 1600 calories a day. I also backed this amount up with a TDEE calculator (Scooby?). I now eat all my calories back too when I run.

My first estimation for calories was at 1400 and I did this for an extended period of time. I didn't lose ANY weight and was hungry all the time. I found myself binge eating in the afternoons because I was so hungry by 6 pm.

Now at 1600, I have more energy and I'm never hungry. I've gained 3 pounds in muscle mass and lost inches around my stomach and bust.

I'm dropping some math on you this morning, watch your toes. MATHEMATICAL!

Yeah, HRM are pretty much good for one thing. Steady state cardio. They suck at being TDEE calculators.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    5' 8". Currently on 1800 a day and trying to exercise 2-3 times a week. If I dont get in the exercise I tend to maintain at 1800. If I do exercise I drop about a pound a week. If I want to lose weight in non-exercise weeks I have to cut down to around 1400-1500. working for me so far!
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump

I am 5'7" and my weight is fluctuating between 144-147 any given day. My calories are set at 1550 and I changed my macros based on IIFYM.com. I have worn my HRM for 24 hour periods and my basic TDEE is between 21-2400.

I work a desk job but workout 5-6 times a week, a variety of HIITS and cardio.

I am curious about this too because something will seem to work and then it stops and I go backwards.