Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row (10% lighter than Workout A) 5 5
    Close Grip Bench Press 3 8
    Straight Bar or Incline Curls 3 8
    Cable Crunches 3 10

1 1/2 hours a workout. Break times between sets are 3-5 minutes for the 5x5 sets and 1-2 minutes for the 3x8 sets.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Stronglifts 5x5:

Workout A

Squat 5x5
    Bench press 5x5
    Barbell rows 5x5

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    Overhead press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout 3 times a week. 45 minutes a workout.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Starting Strength:

Workout A

Squat
    3 sets of 5 reps

Standing Military Press
    3 sets of 5 reps

Deadlift
    1 set of 5 reps

Workout B

Squat
    3 sets of 5 reps

Bench Press
    3 sets of 5 reps

Power Clean
    5 sets of 3 reps

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/starting-strength-review-of-mark-rippetoes-barbell-bible.html

How to Gain Weight Fast:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/weight-gain

After looking at these 4 workouts, I like Jason Blaha's and How to Gain Weight Fast the most. This is because I already know how to do these exercises.

I would want to do Stronglifts more though, because it only takes 45 minutes, and would be good, since I am quite busy these days. The problem is that I don't know how to do an overhead press properly. Should I ask a person working at the gym to teach me how?

Starting Strength also has an exercise called power clean that I don't know how to do.

So in conclusion, I would really like to do Stronglifts, but I don't know how to do the overhead press properly. So, should I go with Jason Blaha's workout? I know all his exercises, and would be playing it safe. The only downside is that it takes twice the time of Stronglifts, but I'm willing to accept that there are no short-cuts in bulking. What do you guys think?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Check this site out, http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/

It will tell you everything you need to know as a beginner...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ...ahem... where's the leg work?

BB_O7f2CEAAlaTm.jpg

was thinking the same thing...
  • JLuckett05
    Options
    I will heartily second a 5x5 workout routine. Just stick to the meat and potatoes workout, and by the way eat more meat an potatoes to gain weight.

As an 'easy' gainer I never could understand not being able to eat enough. Just add a sandwich before bed to whatever you are now eating. Maybe drink a glass of milk instead of another type of drink during the day... More calories means more bulking. Don't be afraid of a little fat.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

I've done some research and this is what I've gotten so far:

Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 Novice Program

Week One

Day 1 - Workout A
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Workout B
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Workout A
    Days 6 & 7 - Rest
    Week Two

Day 1 - Workout B
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Workout A
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Workout B
    Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Workout A

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5
    Barbell Shrugs 3 8
    Tricep Extensions 3 8
    Hyperextensions with plate 2 10
    Cable Crunches 3 10

Workout B

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Cable Crunches 3 10

1 1/2 hours a workout. Break times between sets are 3-5 minutes for the 5x5 sets and 1-2 minutes for the 3x8 sets.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Stronglifts 5x5:

Workout A

Squat 5x5
    Bench press 5x5
    Barbell rows 5x5

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    Overhead press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout 3 times a week. 45 minutes a workout.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Starting Strength:

Workout A

Squat
    3 sets of 5 reps

Standing Military Press
    3 sets of 5 reps

Deadlift
    1 set of 5 reps

Workout B

Squat
    3 sets of 5 reps

Bench Press
    3 sets of 5 reps

Power Clean
    5 sets of 3 reps

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/starting-strength-review-of-mark-rippetoes-barbell-bible.html

How to Gain Weight Fast:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/weight-gain

After looking at these 4 workouts, I like Jason Blaha's and How to Gain Weight Fast the most. This is because I already know how to do these exercises.

I would want to do Stronglifts more though, because it only takes 45 minutes, and would be good, since I am quite busy these days. The problem is that I don't know how to do an overhead press properly. Should I ask a person working at the gym to teach me how?

Starting Strength also has an exercise called power clean that I don't know how to do.

So in conclusion, I would really like to do Stronglifts, but I don't know how to do the overhead press properly. So, should I go with Jason Blaha's workout? I know all his exercises, and would be playing it safe. The only downside is that it takes twice the time of Stronglifts, but I'm willing to accept that there are no short-cuts in bulking. What do you guys think?

The exercises listed in the Stronglifts program are fundamental weight training movements. If you can't do all 5 effectively, you need to learn, because you will suffer at virtually any other program you attempt if you can't. Yes, get instruction.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    to bulk you need 3 things... full fat milk, peanut butter and a spoon... actually the spoon is optional...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    to bulk you need 3 things... full fat milk, peanut butter and a spoon... actually the spoon is optional...

That's a relief. My dentist would love it if I tried to eat a spoon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

stoooopid!

obviously i meant a teaspoon that you could down in one!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

chocolate spoon?

http://dinnerfornone.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/cardamom-cinnamon-chocolate-spoons/

:happy:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I definitely suggest Stronglifts. Learn the overhead press. It's one of the "Big 4" fundamental lifts.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

A program is more than a list of exercises, sets, and reps. If you don't know what I mean, you don't follow a good program.

You will get excellent results as a novice from a 3x a week full body program; pick a well established one.

If you want to build muscle, you will eat more.

Macros and micros important, but it's not necessary that you bulk on plain chicken, rice, and steamed vegetables. There is plenty of room for foods that you most enjoy.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

stoooopid!

obviously i meant a teaspoon that you could down in one!

Dagnammit. So that's where I've been going wrong! *spits out teeth*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Y I see no ice cream?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Y I see no ice cream?

This! I'm bulking an ice cream is fast becoming a staple.

To the OP: I agree, SL5x5 is your best bet right now. I've been lifting for a long time and now have been bulking for 9.5 weeks and only just recently changed to an intermediate program.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Freudian slip of legs day. Sounds like every other dude in the gym. Looks ripped from the waist up. Chicken legs.
  • jackwrobel1
    Options
    edit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    ...ahem... where's the leg work?

BB_O7f2CEAAlaTm.jpg

The guy in pink could do legs, he has decent calves. The guy in blue's aren't that bad either but yeah, out of proportion to his upper body. The guy in yellow is just sad, sad.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Not sure what all has been said but here is my take:

Based on your young age / goals I wouldn't mess with the bro splits (Backs, / Bi's, Chest / Tri's, Ect). If you are new to lifting and want to bulk you need to lift heavy (80-85% 1 rep max) that are compound litts and eat, eat, eat. At your young age this will be key. Volume work will make bulking harder due to the fact that you are burning more cals then if you did traditional strength training protocol. 5/3/1, Starting Strength and Strong Lifts are all great programs for the beginner. Also NEVER SKIP LEG DAY.... I did not see any leg work in there. There is nothing worse to see a guy cut and have twigs for legs... This is all from a guy that was of your similar build are was doing exactly what you listed. If I could do it all over again this is what I would do:

- Build a strong base foundation focused on Strength Training for a good solid 12+ months... NO split routines.
    - Buckle down your diet. You should be eating good wholesome foods and at a calorie surplus. You can aid this with supplementation but the majority of your cals should be coming from wholefoods.
    - Once some good slabs of meat have been packed on then start to toy with split routines but strength training should still be a part of your training.

This is just the way I would do it if I could do it all over again. No telling where I could have been had I did. Just my $0.02
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 Novice Program

Week One

Day 1 - Workout A
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Workout B
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Workout A
    Days 6 & 7 - Rest
    Week Two

Day 1 - Workout B
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Workout A
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Workout B
    Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Workout A

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5
    Barbell Shrugs 3 8
    Tricep Extensions 3 8
    Hyperextensions with plate 2 10
    Cable Crunches 3 10

Workout B

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Cable Crunches 3 10

This still seems like a little too much volume for a bulk IMO. No need to do Isolation lifts for a person on a bulk. If you want to hit Tri's do weighted dips.... hits not only the tri's but shoulders and even some chest. Biceps.... do chinups. Not only are the bi's hit but the forearms and lats also getting the work. Again, just my $0.02
  • Steveburg123
    Options
    Hi,
    Gaining as well as losing weight both are difficult task as I have alone of my cousin who is very skinny and is trying to gain weight since last year but I haven't seen any scope of gaining in her. She is 23 and eats more as well as healthier food than a normal person of same age. She had tried many things to gain weight but get no output till now. So, please help me out for my cousin for gaining weight.