Has anyone done Jillian's video Shred it with Weights?

Options
I started it last week. I have only seen a little chatter around about it, mostly about her bad form with Kettlebells. Its on amazon prime so I decided to try it anyway. I haven't injured myself so far! LOL Anyway, I'm looking for other people that are doing it, or may want to start?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As long as you stick to the abnormally low weights they use in the videos and don't try to step up to a higher weight (like what you would use in more traditional kettlebell training) you stand a fairly good chance of avoiding injury. That being said, you would do WAY better doing like... a million other things. It really is an awful, awful workout DVD.
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    LOL Maybe that's why I like it? !!! Yeah, I am starting from zero, so the first few days I felt it. I don't know. I guess I like it because it goes quickly? I'm using a 10lb kettlebell because that's all I have.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    LOL Maybe that's why I like it? !!! Yeah, I am starting from zero, so the first few days I felt it. I don't know. I guess I like it because it goes quickly? I'm using a 10lb kettlebell because that's all I have.

That's probably the reason why. For more conventional kettlebell training the recommended weight for an out of shape woman who's just starting out is 18 lbs. It sounds heavy but if you understand the body mechanics behind the exercises you do (especially once you get form down right and aren't doing them the way Jillian is telling you to) you'll see it's not as much as it sounds like.
  • lswatson111304
    Options
    Ive been talking with my husband about buying a new one and undecided between 15 or 20lb which are what i can find locally. I do know i need heavier. I did a few kettlebell exercises and a little reading about them a few months back before i fell off the wagon. Before i never found anything i enjoyed and wanted to stick with.
  • lswatson111304
    Options
    Not video related, I enjoy weights. I always have even when i was young i purchased 15 and 20lb dumbbell sets i just need to follow something to keep me going. Im also getting a bench from my mom hopefully next week I just feel like i dont know where to start to get results
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    If you want to do kettlebell workouts at home and are confident your form is good (meaning NOT what's in the JM videos) look up youtube channel kitty8tim. Best at home kettlebell workouts on youtube. And yes you will need to get heavier ones.

Power rack beats bench. If you have a choice of one, get a power rack, because it can be used as a bench press station also (you just need the rollaway bench itself).