Portion Control

Options
2»

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    When I make a recipe (using MFP's tool), I split it up into bowls/plates immediately based on the number of servings it should be. I just weigh each bowl to make sure they're about equal. Then it goes into my fridge in four individual bowls for example. Then I don't have to measure each time I eat, and I know I'm just eating a serving. (and I have several meals prepared in advance--less cooking!)
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    I make sure I eat slower, and I always cut stuff so that it's very small. That way I get "more". I try to always drink plenty of water as I eat, making the process longer and it makes me fill up faster.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates are good.
    I also ate lots of portions of vegetables in my meals. That way I could fill up and still remain within my calorie limit. I ate one portion of meats and starches; and I weighed & measured everything. For example, a meal might be a 4oz steak, 1/2 baked potato and 2 or more cups of vegetables (approx 500 calories; depending on steak variety, size of potato and how much vegetable).
    Another "trick" I learned and really enjoy now as a change, is to substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. It takes on the taste of the pasta sauce nicely. There is a difference in texture between squash and pasta but if you don't mind that, it's a change you can make and not miss out on pasta nights.
    Bean dishes are good, too. They are higher in calories but are filling to make up for it and you can still fill up on vegetables on the side.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    I find that if I put one serving of everything on the plate, finish and find that I'm still hungry, I wait about an hour while I do other things. The hungry feeling goes away for a few hours. Then I eat my next meal. Always have iced tea, hot black tea or water in between. This keeps me within caloric boundaries. I also save calories for a special dinner or after-dinner treat with a recipe redux. Have been doing this for about two weeks and it has been helping. Good luck! :drinker:
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tip on Mindful eating !!! Sometimes we get too busy and we think that if only we can eat faster, finish faster, we can get more stuff done. But we end up with the same amount of work and with a lot more calories than we intended.:(
    That is so true! What it really helped me to understand is this: If I have the thought that X would taste really good right now and I don't have to choose between eating it and what I am currently doing, I will ALWAYS eat it. If I have to think about whether or not I want to stop what I am doing -- turn off the TV, step away from the computer, put down the book I am reading, then I will actually think about whether or not I really want it. The first time I decided it wasn't worth the time it would take to eat something was a mind blowing experience for me. Doing nothing else while I eat also allows me to pay attention to the whole process, including whether I want or need to eat all of what I put on my plate. In the two-plus years since I started doing this, my portion sizes have decreased simply because I have a better sense of what will satisfy me.

There was a whole lot of other work going on for me on this journey, but this is by the far the most important and effective thing I have done, and the one that has made it possible for me to stay with everything else.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's really hard this time of year when it's dark and cold outside. I just want tons of comfort food. Soup helps, if it's low cal/carbs. Lots of interesting veggies with baked fish.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    :smile: