Substitutes for butter?

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Fat is healthy and butter is especially healthy (grass-fed). Yes, saturated fats ARE healthy and humans have been eating them since the dawn of time. I just thought you might like to know before you eliminate yet more healthy fats from your diet.

FYI: most seed/legume/vegetable oils are highly processed, are a recent addition to the human diet, and the ones that are not heavily processed should not be heated. Flax isn't overly healthy (omega 3 should come from animals) but it's not terrible either as long as it's NOT HEATED. Olive oil is a good option (but not to eliminate butter and animal fats) but it also should not be heated to high temperatures.

You'll do what you want, and I'm sure that I'm going to be attacked from all directions, but please, do more research about dietary fats. What most of us have been made to believe is not the reality.

PS. If I were "replacing butter", I would use an equivalent amount of ghee, coconut oil, or lard (or other animal fat-grass-fed). I would be far more likely to reduce, or eliminate, the added sugar in a recipe, not the fat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't like using butter (due to saturated fats and dietary and ethical issues with dairy), so I just replace it with healthier oils, though the calorie and overall fat content isn't really affected. Canola oil is great because it's flavor is really neutral, but walnut oil is delicious in baked goods. :)

Canola is a "healthier" oil? This post could not be more wrong. Knowing how canola came to be and how it is processed and why it is marketed as "healthy" is a real eye-opener. All oils, except natural highly saturated oils, should not be used with heat.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Fat is healthy and butter is especially healthy (grass-fed). Yes, saturated fats ARE healthy and humans have been eating them since the dawn of time. I just thought you might like to know before you eliminate yet more healthy fats from your diet.

FYI: most seed/legume/vegetable oils are highly processed, are a recent addition to the human diet, and the ones that are not heavily processed should not be heated. Flax isn't overly healthy (omega 3 should come from animals) but it's not terrible either as long as it's NOT HEATED. Olive oil is a good option (but not to eliminate butter and animal fats) but it also should not be heated to high temperatures.

You'll do what you want, and I'm sure that I'm going to be attacked from all directions, but please, do more research about dietary fats. What most of us have been made to believe is not the reality.

Don't get me wrong. I use butter on a regular basis and in moderation. I also use olive oil and canola oil, and on occasion sesame oil. I simply want to make my banana bread a little healthier.
  • rostraqueen
    Options
    I have used low-fat and fat-free natural/greek yoghurt before for baking and also reduced fat mayonnaise and everything came out really yummy and moist - and no, you couldn't taste the mayo :) Have tried this with cakes, brownies and banana loaf, though I haven't tried this with other breads...
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    yogurt or sweet potato butter
  • charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Any idea of the ration of flax to boiling water? I love this idea. I don't have to watch butter for dietary reasons but do have to pay attention to fiber.

Thanks.
  • Polda2010
    Polda2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Usually for 1 cup of ground Flax seeds is a 3/4 cup of water in Baking. I guess it depends what other liquids are added to the recipe maybe. But that is a guideline that was in the back of my bag. I haven't experimented much with it so far. Hope it helps:smile:
  • charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    No. But if you have to, I would use cream.

There fixed!