Runner's knee - how have you fixed it?!

Options
Hey,

I've had runners knee now for ages. Physio didn't help, rolling my IT band didn't help, nothing seems to help. Basically, I can walk for about an hour without it twinging, but it hurts much sooner than that on stairs and hills. The physio said it was my weak quads...but I also have tight hipflexors - so not sure where the issue is really coming from?

Every time I think it's better I go for a really casual run (like ten minutes!) and then it starts hurting again! It's ruining my ability to exercise as I can't do squats etc and running is out of the question. Oh and I've been using a rebounder, but after 30 mins it hurts and every one has said rebounding would be fine!

How have you fixed this?! I don't mind what I have to do - I just want it fixed!

Thaaaaanks!

Replies

• lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Runner's knee years ago, then another Dr. diagnosed it as IT band syndrome. Two rounds of different PT and still wasn't better so I tried acupuncture. It was better in 6 treatments and I've not had a problem since!
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do not have much idea about runner's knee, nor have known any of my acquaintance to have runner's knee so can't say much. But here is a link that may help you.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I haven't had runners knee per se, but the hip flexors thing is cured by stretching and strengthening your glutes. Stability work, squats, lunges, etc.

What is your shoe situation like?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I don't have or have ever had (pre-warning) but when I doing research for something completely different I remember reading a good deal about how shoes can really really be an issue.

Surprisingly the problem they were starting to see is that too much padding (like bigger training shoes with lots of padding and high heel levels) are starting to be suspected as a problem with a great deal of injuries with the leg and knees. Seems that when you are planting your feet on the ground your foot is unable to really react and adjust to how hard is supposed to hit and what angle due to all these special features in these awesome bell and whistle shoes and orthodontics. A good deal of people who had problems like yours said they found great comfort when they were barefoot or bought shoes like racing flats.

Like I said, I don't have your issue but I was surprised when I reading about it so just thought I'd throw it out there.
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    do you foam roll the OUTSIDE of your legs? thats where the soft tissue is that tightens up and can twist your knees and keep that pain chronic. try that instead of just the front and back!
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! I've actually been thinking of acupuncture so I might give that a go!

As for trainers - that's quite interesting. My knee problem coincides with me getting new trainers. I went and had my gait analysed and they said I ran on the outside of my foot so gave me some stability ones...perhaps I need to try some new ones with a thinner sole?

And I was rolling the outside of my leg, but it didn't seem to do much...I did it for four weeks on the physios advice, but maybe I need to do it more?
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is foam rolling IT bands AND quads as tightness in either can cause knee pain. Also, stretching the quads really well a couple of times a day (hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! I've actually been thinking of acupuncture so I might give that a go!

As for trainers - that's quite interesting. My knee problem coincides with me getting new trainers. I went and had my gait analysed and they said I ran on the outside of my foot so gave me some stability ones...perhaps I need to try some new ones with a thinner sole?

And I was rolling the outside of my leg, but it didn't seem to do much...I did it for four weeks on the physios advice, but maybe I need to do it more?

How long did you run in the new shoes before you started with the knee problems? You could have been building up to a problem from running without adequate support and the timing is coincidental. Or the shoes could be the actual problem. I'd be tempted to try running in an old pair of shoes (without the stability features) and see how your knee feels.

Running shoes - they can make or break you!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this (or if I have I haven't been told I do), although I have had a torn ligament. Anyway, a good friend of mine had runner's knee and her doc told her to start doing leg extensions. Start with 0 weight for the first week and slowly increase at the lowest increments possible. After a while her quad muscles were getting stronger and were able to take some of the pressure off her knees. She said it fixed it. Every now and then she'll have problems with it but she always goes back to the leg extensions to help it. Good luck! I know how much it sucks to want to run only to be met with terrible pain every time you do :cry:
  • steviecooke1985
    Options
    I was a beginner before - just running ten minutes here and there in the gym. Then I got the shoes and built up to 5K. Then the problem set in. So I guess it could be something to do with my technique or the shoes? I think I might try my old shoes and see what happens!
  • steviecooke1985
    Options
    I haven't had this (or if I have I haven't been told I do), although I have had a torn ligament. Anyway, a good friend of mine had runner's knee and her doc told her to start doing leg extensions. Start with 0 weight for the first week and slowly increase at the lowest increments possible. After a while her quad muscles were getting stronger and were able to take some of the pressure off her knees. She said it fixed it. Every now and then she'll have problems with it but she always goes back to the leg extensions to help it. Good luck! I know how much it sucks to want to run only to be met with terrible pain every time you do :cry:

Yeah it sucks! I just want to run! I'll have to try these and see how I get on. :-)
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I fixed it with a quick cheat...I wore a "jumper's knee" band below the knee. Stabilized my knee until my legs adjusted to running longer distances. Give it a try at least.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I was a beginner before - just running ten minutes here and there in the gym. Then I got the shoes and built up to 5K. Then the problem set in. So I guess it could be something to do with my technique or the shoes? I think I might try my old shoes and see what happens!

It could be the shoes. How fast did you build your mileage? It could also be overtraining.
  • steviecooke1985
    Options

It could be the shoes. How fast did you build your mileage? It could also be overtraining.

I think it was over about 4 months. Then I was told to not run for six weeks to give it a rest. That was at the beginning of this year and I still haven't been able to manage 15 minutes without pain. SO ANNOYING!
  • steviecooke1985
    Options
    I fixed it with a quick cheat...I wore a "jumper's knee" band below the knee. Stabilized my knee until my legs adjusted to running longer distances. Give it a try at least.

Haven't tried this - will definitely give it a go! :-)
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Take it from me. Don't run until you get it sorted - you'll only make it worse!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Water running with a flotation vest!
  • Slimmd
    Slimmd Posts: 10
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I tried PT and foam rolling, but it didn't help at all. I found that Pilates worked wonders, since my knee pain was due to a really tight quadricep muscle. By strengthening my core, hamstrings and inner thigh muscles, it relieved the tension on my knee (caused by an overworked quad), and I am now pain free.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't run if it hurts. Pain is the body's way of telling you to stop.