What do you do for exercise?

Options
What do you do for exercise? I find it really hard to find time as i work full time and go to college so wen i am not working i am doing assignment research etc the only proper exercise i get is walking to the bus station to get to work 2-3 days a week and its only a 25 minute walk (i am a bit of a power walker though)
I really want to get a treadmill for my house so when i am reading stuff for college or watching tv i can go on the treadmill i don't have alot of money though but have found a few manual ones cheap but are they any good??
Thanks

Replies

• caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Since I've just started and I'm pretty broke, I have just been walking. I walk 5-6 times per week for 45 minutes to an hour. Once I work up my stamina, I plan to do the Couch To 5k running program. Walking and running are great because you don't really need any equipment to do them or, like you said, you can do it on a treadmill while you do other things.

Good luck!
  • Hollyhocks89
    Hollyhocks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying
    I do love walking and i am quite good as i do have the option of getting a bus to the bus station but i choose to walk instead
    Maybe i will go the harder route which goes up a hill instead of the flat!? Also i could walk to college which would mean i would be doing 5 walks a week
    good luck to you too
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! Even by doing little things like parking further away in parking lots or walking places instead of taking transportation can make a big difference. Going a different/longer/harder route is a great idea! Or get up and leave earlier and walk around campus a few times before going to class. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you! Try a lot of different things!

Thanks!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have been walking. Since you really like walking, I suggest the dvds by Leslie Sansone. They are called Walk Away the Pounds. Forget the treadmill. Save a ton of money and pop in the dvds. (spent $20 on 2 dvds) She will have you working up a sweat like you won't believe. Her walks range from 1 to 5 miles that you do right there in your home. It's not just walking in place either. It's fun, and it really works. She has a website, and you can also get them in stores. I bought mine on Amazon--one came with a free "stretchie resistance band." I have worked my way up from the 1 mile to the 3 mile. You have to figure out how long each mile takes to do, and then how many of those you would do in an hour. That's the walking speed. Example: the 2 mile walk takes 30 minutes = 4 miles per hour. I'm heavier, so when I do the 2 mile I burn 500 calories, the 3 mile? I burn a little over 700! These dvds are great because cold weather is here, and you can do your walking indoors. Good luck!
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    Thank you Kappyblu thats great i will check it out in a bit :smile:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I got an elliptical machine off freecycle awhile back. I used it til it died and I was able to save for a new one! I LOVE reading on it. I'm in school to be an RN plus a wife and mom so I need to multitask ;)

Walking is great too but I prefer the elliptical.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love my Wi and Wii Fit Plus program. The Free Step and Free Run can be done while watching TV. Plus - there is so much variety I don't get bored. I now also have Just Dance 2 and Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum for Wii.
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    Thank you all some great advice can't wait to try some of these things out 4lafz i'm guna have to get my b/f to buy me another Wii (he sold our last one!) theres so many fantastic things to do on it now!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Check out Craigs list....Ebay for them...wife got one, not the best but filled in for a year till she saved up for new one....Buy the way she got it free! they just wanted to get rid of it..had to pick it up thou!
  • grantarchy
    grantarchy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you like working out at home, which I do too because of time constraints, you might try checking out some DVDs. I personally can recommend the Abs Diet 2 DVD. I use it almost exclusively for the cardio workout and the Abs routine. There are a bunch of great DVDs out there, but for pure cardio I recommend that one. It's nice to have a variety at home so that you can mix it up a bit too and not get bored.
  • hisgirlie2007
    Options
    If you concentrate on it, you can make almost anything a workout. Not reading textbooks obviously, but cleaning your house/apartment can be a workout. While sweeping, hold your abs tight to burn more calories. When you wake up in the morning, get out of bed 5 minutes earlier and stretch and do some situps/pushups. I have a balance ball and it's great for doing computer work or watching tv, even if you sit still you burn more calories by balancing instead of leaning back. During comercials do some yoga poses or wall squats with it. There are also resistance bands that are cheap and take the place of dumbells, you can adjust the resistance of them too by tying knots so you don't have to buy different ones all the time. When you're cooking do squats or pushups on the countertops.
    Remember, exercising doesn't have to be a set time you classify as a "workout", its just getting your body working and your blood pumping.
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    I only have 1 dvd n its a ministry of sound one 'pump it up' its great n i thought it being a dance one it would be fun til i started using it n realised i can't dance lol
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I started with the Power 90 workout DVD's at the beginning of September and have lost 29 lbs so far. One is cardio and the other is strength training. They're about 30-40 minutes each and come with a resistance band. I paid something like $60 and they broke it up into two payments. Let me know if you'd like to learn more about it or if I can answer any questions. Good luck in whatever exercise you choose :)

Brent
    Independent Team Beachbody Coach
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    :smile: These are all fantastic replys thank you so much
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    Hi there!

I started with the Power 90 workout DVD's at the beginning of September and have lost 29 lbs so far. One is cardio and the other is strength training. They're about 30-40 minutes each and come with a resistance band. I paid something like $60 and they broke it up into two payments. Let me know if you'd like to learn more about it or if I can answer any questions. Good luck in whatever exercise you choose :)

Brent

Can you tell me where i can find these? thanks
  • xXTimnXx
    xXTimnXx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not sure if there is anything in particular you are trying to work but I bought an Iron Gym pull-up bar and would highly recommend it. I've only had it for about two weeks and can already tell a difference in my stomach, back, shoulders, and arms (If you want to work your stomach all you have to do is put your feet out forward instead of curling them behind you). I put it in the bedroom doorway so anytime I go in and out I jump up and do a few pull-ups. I got the Extreme edition for around $40 but you can get the regular one for about half of that.
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    Yer its mostly my belly thighs and bum i wanna 'tone' up i'm going to ask for those reebok easytone trainers for christmas wanted them for ages
  • Ready2lose4ever
    Options
    I have a Stationary bike and I use it while I watch t.v. the time flies by so fast and I feel great after. I also love to walk and do that whenever I can. I too have the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds dvd's and they are great.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me where i can find these? thanks

Go to Beachbody.com. On the right will be a list of several of their workout programs, Power 90 is toward the bottom. That will take you to the information page. Let me know if you have any questions :)

Brent
  • heidimille
    heidimille Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have started doing crunches, and push ups and arm curls before I go to bed. I dont really have alot of time either, so I just started that.