How do you enter interval training

Options
I was wondering how you enter your exercise when you walk for a min then jog for a min....I want to get all the calories I can so how the heck to I enter that in?

Thanks!!

Replies

• serena22289
    serena22289 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Say you exercise for 30 minutes alternating between jogging and walking at 1 minute each like you said. If you divide that between the two it's 15 minutes and walking and 15 minutes of jogging, so that's how I would enter it into exercise.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't jog. Jogging is VERY hard on the joints in your legs and feet.

With interval training it's best to run for as long as you can (even if it's a minute or less) and then walk until you can breathe normally again, then run again. Your endurance will build up quickly.

If you're running on a treadmill it will calculate the amount of calories you burn, but if you aren't, then bring a stop watch so you can time how long you run total. Then subtract that from the total time you spent training. Then enter the running and walking separately.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately many treadmills don't calculate your calories burned accurately - some don't allow you to enter you own gender, weight, or age.

So, when I have done intervals, I time my running time keeping track of how many intervals I do. So, if in a 45 minute run, I have ran 2 minutes and walked 5, I keep track of the runs. Then when I am finished I put the running time in as such and the walking time in would be the remainder. I have a co-worker at work who moonlights as a fitness trainer and she indicated that is what she does and recommends to her clients.

Vickie
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I created an exercise for me marked "C25K HRM" which is the couch to 5k, which is interval training for the first 7 weeks. I just go by my heart rate monitor (HRM).