Not even 5pm, and I am over my cals! Blah!

Options
had our holiday party today, i swore i would have a salad, .....i get there and order fish n chips!

Not feeling too good right now..........

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    had our holiday party today, i swore i would have a salad, .....i get there and order fish n chips!

Awww... :( We have all been there.

Well you learned a hard lesson today: NEVER go into such a tough situation like that, expecting to do something as unrealistic as ordering a salad. :) Besides - why do that? How boring! You're at a party! There are better ways to do this....

Here is the takeaway: in the future, when you have a party or dinner out, etc. - plan for it. Sift out for yourself about 700-800 calories (or more) for that meal alone and then build the rest of your day around that meal. Then when you go out, still be in control, but eat something really yummy (in moderation).

I am on maintenance. I get 1,800-1,900 calories a day now. When I go out with friends, I save myself about 800-1,000 calories for that meal which leaves me about 1,100 for the remainder of the day which I space out strategically to make sure I'm not too hungry before the party (DANGEROUS).

If my friends and I are going to a particular restaurant, I then look at the menu of the restaurant online ahead of time to get a "feel" for what I might like to eat. I then tick that into MFP to get a "feel" for how much that might "cost me". That gives me a better idea, gives me proactive power to stay strong at the dinner.

Or, if you go to a party at someone's house with a buffet table then figure that each few bites of whatever you eat there will cost you about 100 calories. So maybe take 7-8 smaller items or scoops of items (like, one jalepeno popper, one somewhat generous spoonful of artichoke dip and a few crackers, one Christmas cookie, etc. until you reach 8 items), savor it, then be done with it.

You're not going to make it to bedtime tonight w/out eating something, so make some good choices of high-volume/fiberous low-cal foods and just go over for today. Next time, plan ahead, make your decision early, then follow through! You can do it! Its a learning process!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    That was great advice!

And I agree. We all have those days. My friend just brought me some pralines.

This probably won't end well.
  • moeisreal
    Options
    better work that off! or else you'll just feel even more guilty
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Remember that your MFP calorie goal is NOT maintenance...it is huge deficit from maintenance...even if you go over you're still in a defcit...if you really went nuts you might be at maintenance...just move on. Do you really think that what you do on one day really matters? You need to see the bigger picture...it's not about what you did today or what you do on Christmas or so and so's birthday party, etc...it's about what you're going most of the time.

If someone who generally ate like crap, was sedentary and always ate beyond what was necessary for their bodies to maintain suddenly decided to eat under and have some broccoli and go for a run, would that make them suddenly healthy or fit?
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oh good, thought I was the only one. :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did the same thing. Holiday potluck in my office and there was mac and cheese. Thankfully, I'm not too hungry right now. I might get by with a cup of tea and some fruit tonight. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • addeatley
    Options
    I think the important thing is to keep moving and to not beat yourself up. We all have days that are not perfect. You have to get right back to eating right. Don't starve yourself to make up for a bad day because that will make you overly hungry, which leads to over-eating. Don't lose lose sight of your goal. You will not be disappointed!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Me too, but I ain't even mad about it.

It's the holidays. I'm going to enjoy myself, whether my calorie goal likes it or not. :smile:

I'm going to hop on the treadmill later, eat a normal dinner and call it a day. *shrug*
  • Sophieanna17
    Sophieanna17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did the same thing (fries at lunch).... But I MADE myself log it today in my diary. I didn't want to and kept telling myself, "Well I have already eaten it, what's the point of logging now? It's in the past." It took me until today to log those fries. But I did, it was bad, they were good, and now I'm moving on. For whatever reason logging those fries seemed really important.

Like you, I knew by 5:00 yesterday that I was over my daily goal by 5:00. (Well by 2:00 in my case!!) And honestly I didn't even do that well at dinner (which I logged in my diary) but I am accepting it and moving on.

I'm really glad you posted this. It happens to all of us, it's not the end of the world, and there are things I can do next time to finish off the day better than I did yesterday. I think that's what I'm realizing. One "naughty meal" doesn't give me permission to blow up the rest of the day. And it's not a disaster if I do, this is a life long commitment.

Thanks for the great topic!
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Yesterday I did the same thing (fries at lunch).... But I MADE myself log it today in my diary. I didn't want to and kept telling myself, "Well I have already eaten it, what's the point of logging now? It's in the past." It took me until today to log those fries. But I did, it was bad, they were good, and now I'm moving on. For whatever reason logging those fries seemed really important.

Like you, I knew by 5:00 yesterday that I was over my daily goal by 5:00. (Well by 2:00 in my case!!) And honestly I didn't even do that well at dinner (which I logged in my diary) but I am accepting it and moving on.

I'm really glad you posted this. It happens to all of us, it's not the end of the world, and there are things I can do next time to finish off the day better than I did yesterday. I think that's what I'm realizing. One "naughty meal" doesn't give me permission to blow up the rest of the day. And it's not a disaster if I do, this is a life long commitment.

Thanks for the great topic!
    thanks! tmw is a new day!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Remember that your MFP calorie goal is NOT maintenance...it is huge deficit from maintenance...even if you go over you're still in a defcit...if you really went nuts you might be at maintenance...just move on. Do you really think that what you do on one day really matters? You need to see the bigger picture...it's not about what you did today or what you do on Christmas or so and so's birthday party, etc...it's about what you're going most of the time.

If someone who generally ate like crap, was sedentary and always ate beyond what was necessary for their bodies to maintain suddenly decided to eat under and have some broccoli and go for a run, would that make them suddenly healthy or fit?

This deserves a slow clap
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options

So tempting, when I have that option i say Grill that fish and give me a salad instead of chips.
  • OJLight
    OJLight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I ate over my limit over the week-end and still haven't recovered :-( BUT am still motivated to lose weight and am NOT going to give up ! Tomorrow is a new day..a new beginning...
    “Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
    ― L.M. Montgomery
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Parties, celebrations, birthdays and holidays will always be a part of our lives. We live in a food driven society, which sometimes makes things extra hard. You may show a temporary gain, due to sodium in friend foods, but overall your weekly calorie count is what is important.

So, tonight for dinner, just make it light!! A 3 egg white omelette with all the vegies you want and maybe a little cheese!! It will be less than 200 calories with cheese and you wont wake up starving tomorrow and having a hard time then!!

You've got this!!! You didn't just say, 'to heck with it' and over eat the rest of the day!! Great job!!
  • nmiller0813
    Options

Awww... :( We have all been there.

Well you learned a hard lesson today: NEVER go into such a tough situation like that, expecting to do something as unrealistic as ordering a salad. :) Besides - why do that? How boring! You're at a party! There are better ways to do this....

Here is the takeaway: in the future, when you have a party or dinner out, etc. - plan for it. Sift out for yourself about 700-800 calories (or more) for that meal alone and then build the rest of your day around that meal. Then when you go out, still be in control, but eat something really yummy (in moderation).

I am on maintenance. I get 1,800-1,900 calories a day now. When I go out with friends, I save myself about 800-1,000 calories for that meal which leaves me about 1,100 for the remainder of the day which I space out strategically to make sure I'm not too hungry before the party (DANGEROUS).

If my friends and I are going to a particular restaurant, I then look at the menu of the restaurant online ahead of time to get a "feel" for what I might like to eat. I then tick that into MFP to get a "feel" for how much that might "cost me". That gives me a better idea, gives me proactive power to stay strong at the dinner.

Or, if you go to a party at someone's house with a buffet table then figure that each few bites of whatever you eat there will cost you about 100 calories. So maybe take 7-8 smaller items or scoops of items (like, one jalepeno popper, one somewhat generous spoonful of artichoke dip and a few crackers, one Christmas cookie, etc. until you reach 8 items), savor it, then be done with it.

You're not going to make it to bedtime tonight w/out eating something, so make some good choices of high-volume/fiberous low-cal foods and just go over for today. Next time, plan ahead, make your decision early, then follow through! You can do it! Its a learning process!

BEST ADVICE....Thank you, I needed that!