5'3" - lost 15lbs - setting new goals

Options
Hi I've lost 15lb - which may not seem a lot to some of you, but on my little frame it is a lot! My rough goal was to get to 124lb - so 3lb to go.

I'm trying to decide when I want to finish and just start maintaining. I notice some 5'3" people getting down to 105-110lb, but I think that is too extreme. I want an athletic but not skinny frame.

Anyone want to pull numbers out of the air? Have you got any photos which show what various weights look like on a 5'3" frame? Thanks! : )

Replies

• kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com/ - interesting to see what other women look like at different weights.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 141 lb but got down to 132 lb 17months ago but didn't manage to maintain it put it on every vacation and then struggle to loose it my profile photo is at that weight. will start again seriously in the new year as I've been struggling exercising with a knee injury. I think it also depends on your build I wouldn't want to go below 130.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/ this is a great website to get perspective on weights and heights on different shape women. What you think you want to be and what you actually are. You can look up what your weight was to start as well.

I also spent a lot of time putting my measurements and stats into all the calculators at Fat to Fit website: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    both my initial, my current, and my goal. I had a high goal and a "good" goal.

Now the truth. I'm 5'2" and I've never been 115 unless I had a little too much ribs sticking out and stopped exercising. When I went through a divorce and stopped eating I lost and was down to at least that without muscle. That was kind of cool in the sense that I finally had that thin and not muscular look. But I am actually muscular and not an elf. More of a hobbit. A nicely fit hobbit. 130 was my "good" goal and at that I fit into size 6 pants and small tops. 128 plugged into the fat to fit calculators was my "low" goal. It was in the middle for fat % and on the good but higher side for BMI. It was great! Those size 4-6 pants were not even snug. But hard to maintain. I'm more of a low 130's is good person. That's a skinny weight for me, and very realistic.

I can bump up 10 lbs and my pants don't fit. So I know what you are talking about when you say a little is a lot for shorter women. Although I was in the 180's when I started, and that was going to kill me!

Here's me at 50 years old when I put my picture on MyBodyGallery at goal weight after 30 day shred: http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-25311-body-shape.htm?StartAt=87#.UrIm1dGA2lM
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If you want an athletic frame, I would suggest looking more closely at body fat percentage, rather than relying only on a scale. (You may already do this, but I wanted to point it out if you don't already)

As someone already suggested, Fat 2 Fit Radio is a great site for calculators, and below is for the body fat one:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

I would also suggest some form of resistance training (if you don't already do it), which will help maintain your lean muscle mass, while dropping body fat. This may help you get the physique you're looking for rather than just setting a "scale" goal.

Check out this link below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As far as I can tell, this is a mainly a guide for people who are just starting out, however, overall it's full of good information.
  • blankney94
    Options
    Thank you for that website ladies - will go and have a look.

Forgot to add that I'm a pear shape. I always look like a racing sardine up top, but carry my weight around my lower tummy, bum and thighs. Have to be careful I don't take off too much weight, as my elbows and collarbone can look quite bony.

Thinking of heading back to the gym sooner rather than later. I've got a leg injury at the moment. Thinking spin classes and upper body weights.
  • blankney94
    Options
    Right I've been for a look. Thanks for that website.

I think 120lb is my stopping point. No more than that. I did see some photos of some nicely proportioned ladies at 113lb but noticed they were a lot younger than me. Best to stick to something obtainable and maintainable, otherwise I'll just get despondent.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    Hey lady! Congrats on your weight loss! 15lbs is a feat. When I lost 5lbs I was jumping from the rooftops.

I am 5'3 myself and I am very muscular on my bottom half, so I am a firm 150lbs. My goal is 145. 140 would be pushing it, and anything below is impossible--my muscles would have to atrophy to get any lower.

I think i look pretty fit despite the fact that I weight roughly 25lbs more than you :D
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale and focus on improving body composition in favor of increased lean mass. All my athletic female friends weigh a lot more than what people guess. So scale weight is pretty much pointless in that respect.
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 & 120 lbs. & 29yrs old. I am a pear shape also. I think 120-127 lbs is a great weight for me. Anything less or more and I do not look healthy.

Congrats on the weight loss!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 3" and 163 lbs and "thick" :tongue:

I wear a size 12 pant and Large Tops. I am the biggest I've ever been. :sad:

2wexduw.jpg
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Holy crap sorry for the GIGANTO pic
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I figure I am going to keep going until I reach my goal weight (which I determined from a number of different "ideal weight" kind of websites), or until I am in the healthy range and start to look too thin (to myself), or until I am in the healthy range and my TDEE is unsustainably low (hopefully that one does not happen, but I see people in that situation frequently on here).

At my "done" point I will spring for a "real" body fat test to see where I need to go from there. I also have certain health measures that I am watching to see how much improvement I can get with weight loss/exercise, that will factor in (mostly to influence how I see the subjective measures such as too thin or unsustainable).
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3'' and 104.5 pounds and I don't look anorexic or too small (i have a small frame though). I'm doing strength training asweel as cardio and intervals.

I now wear a size 0-2 and I am in the best shape of my life. My measurements are 32-23.75-34 with 19 inches thighs...

hope it helps
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal weight is 110 pounds maybe 115, we'll see, that is where I am most happy.

I was once 105, and I looked way to skinny, people started getting concerned about me, I looked sick.

Right now I am 129 pounds.
  • blankney94
    Options
    For some reason I lost 2lb quite quickly, so now am just 1lb off my goal. Think I will aim for 120lb, but will also look into my body composition. Want to tone up and also improve my posture. Looking forward to being able to run again too.
  • NewLeaf_13
    NewLeaf_13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love www.mybodygallery.com

You enter weight, height, body shape, clothes size, etc and it pulls up pictures that real women have submitted. I like it because a certain weight can look different on every 5'3" person, but by putting in your body shape and/or what clothes size you want to be at, it gives a good idea what it would look like on you. It's also great inspiration for those of us who still have a lot to lose!

I'm 5'3" as well, currently at 179 (10lbs lost so far!) and my goal weight is 140. It's at the higher end for people of our height, but I think going lower would be too skinny for my body, but I'm sure would look great on you!

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    hi im 5ft 3. my aim is 125. ive been there before and quite liked this number
  • newniepg
    newniepg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 3 and currently weigh 129, I think that for me, anything less than 120 would be too little so I am going to go to 121 and see how I look when I get there.

The other day I measured to see what my frame size is, and one website gave me a rec not to go below 124lbs. I know that it's just a number on the scale, but as a newbie to weight loss I find it helps to mentally have a goal that I understand.

Hope that you get to whatever it is you decide you want to weigh. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!